Leopardstown Sunday

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards/card.sd?race_id=521309&r_date=2011-02-06&big_race=Y

Can any of our learned and connected Irish correspondents tell me how highly Cottrelsbooley is regarded at Mullin's place?

I am very, very sweet on this horse, and think he could be a genuine Supreme Novices contender, but with the yard having plenty of decent horses in the division, I'm not convinced he will get a run in the Deloitte - let alone the Supreme.

Any indication as to where he might be in the pecking order, would be very welcome.

Cheers
Grass

The one eyed wonder, I don't have an ear in Mullin's stable, however he was a very taking winner of his maiden hurdle at the Leopardstown Christmas festival, and was heavily backed, so they must think a lot of him.

So Young is also entered in this race, although he won over 2m 4f at the festival, he was extremely impressive, high cruising speed, and very nimble over his hurdles, I was more taken with him than Cottrelsbooley.

Cheers JohnJ. :cool:

I might have called this one very wrong, but I've taken prices up to 240 for the Supreme - as well as a low of 12! Some judge me. :D

I think So Young will go for the 2m 4f at the Cheltenham festival, he is around 15 on betfair, I just watched his maiden at Leop, he was actually very impressive, didn't come off the bridle. Looking at this form it was his first time over hurdles, I am even more impressed.

Mullins apparently readying Zaidpour for the Deloitte, so Cottrelsbooley has to be considered a doubtful runner.

Bastard! :mad:

Cottrelsbooley is dec'd for the Deloitte, but Mullins has both Zaidpour and So young in there too, and they are first and second in the betting.

Anyone got any gen on whether Cottrelsbooley might be allowed to take his chance?

Couldn't be arsed opening a new thread for the Moriarity G1 novice chase so here goes.

At the prices I think Magnanimity is the one ew at 6/1. Never got the credit he deserved for beating Jessies Dream the last day due to the furore caused by the Murphy ride. To watch him closely all the way around he was a reluctant leader and was slowing into his fences, pricking his ears and looking around him. He was a decent hurdler achieving a rating of 135 who always looked like a chaser in the making. On a very strict line of form through JD he should finish upsides the fav (MD'H). He should improve still further and with a doubt circulating about the fav even taking part he seems like a decent bet.

My only concern is that Dessie Hughes mentioned the 4 miler at Cheltenham as the race he was aiming at and not the RSA and that Sunday's trip maybe on the short side for him. I am hoping he is just laid back and a little lazy as I believe I witnessed at Leopardstown the last day.

Cottrelsbooley a confirmed runner according to Mullins in the RP today. Fingers crossed he puts up a good enough show to be considered for the Supreme.

Although there are good trials at Sandown, Ffos Las and Wetherby, the pick of the weekend's action is in Dublin.

As always, a nice card is in prospect, although the feature lacks star quality.

The juvenile hurdle has the principles from the best two novice hurdles up against each other. From Leopardstown Fearless Falcon, Toner d'Oudiares look for revenge on Sailor's Warn; and from Punchestown, Fearless Falcon and Chaperoned look to reverse form with Tillahow. Add in Unaccompanied and Louisville Lip (and Maxim Gorky) and a possible Nicholls runner. Winner should be single figures for the Triumph anyway.

I'll be backing Special Token in the mares' hurdle if she runs, but that's just the way I roll.

The Deloitte looks great. Three top Mullins prospects, the Weld yolk and Oscars Wells. And Shot from the Hip. Oh yes.

I agree with OTB about Magnaminity, and I am also surprised to see Sam Adams at 16/1. Especially if it's a bog. But all the interest will be in the Mullins pair. Will they take one another on? Is Mikael gone? Is Quel Esprit as good as he (sometimes) looks?

The Hennessy looks good for punting if you don't like the favourite. I don't like the favourite. So I will be punting. But I am not sure who I should punt on. Maybe Kempes, but punting on Kempes can be a recipe for disaster. But he won't have to be that good to beat this lot unless the Nicholls yolk is as good as he looked the last day when beating the mighty chaser Punchestown.

Hunters' Chase, Bumper and handicap hurdle all have big fields anyway.

Pride of Dulcotte is begging to be taken on but I'm not sure with what. Can't really justify giving Cooldine another chance.

I won't be having a bet on the Moriarty but I'll be tense watching Mikael. If he runs as well as he did in the Drinmore without tipping up he'll surely be challenging Time for Rupert for favouritism come Sunday evening. Fingers crossed.

Joncol reported to be in good shape but 9/4 the favourite seems fair to me I've taken some on PoD.

The Hennessy looks good for punting if you don't like the favourite. I don't like the favourite. So I will be punting. But I am not sure who I should punt on. Maybe Kempes, but punting on Kempes can be a recipe for disaster. But he won't have to be that good to beat this lot unless the Nicholls yolk is as good as he looked the last day when beating the mighty chaser Punchestown.

Hunters' Chase, Bumper and handicap hurdle all have big fields anyway.

Bar, i'd be careful about Kempes if the ground has the word soft in it. He has won on it in the past but his best performances have come on good ground. He's a horse I really like but wait for the better ground in the spring. I plan to follow him when that happens.

Last edited:
I can't have that Magnanimity yoke; he looks an out and out stayer to me. If he wins it will be a very poor bunch of Irish novices indeed. It looks a very poor Moriarty in fairness.

Interested to see Grasshopper interested in that Cottrelsbooley; the worry, with Cheltenham in mind, must surely be that he has never been asked to settle in his life.

I'll keep an eye out for him anyway. (Sorry)

Bar, i'd be careful about Kempes if the ground has the word soft in it. He has won on it in the past but his best performances have come on good ground. He's a horse I really like but wait for the better ground in the spring. I plan to follow him when that happens.

I know that about the ground. Spring was my plan too, but I will find it hard to be patient with that field if he is a double figure price.

I can't have that Magnanimity yoke; he looks an out and out stayer to me. If he wins it will be a very poor bunch of Irish novices indeed. It looks a very poor Moriarty in fairness.

Agreed it's a very poor G1 chase but this race nearly always has been over the years. I had info that MdH wasn't running but again the other yoke of Mullins isn't so 4/1 about my fancy leaves a little value at the 6's I took! He's no wonder horse but may not have to be to win this - can't have MdH at odds on over fences even against this bunch. Zaidpour at 2/1 maybe of interest.

Irish Hennessy -

Favourites: Pride of Dulcote (5/2) , Joncol (3) , Cooldine (7) , Kempes (15/2) , Money Trix (8) , China Rock (14) , The Listener (14) , Let Yourself Go (50) , Made In Taipan (66) , Trafford Lad (66)

Deloitte Novice Hurdle -

Favourites: Zaidpour (2) , Hidden Universe (7/2), Shot From The Hip (13/2) , Oscars Well (9) , Cottrelsbooley (12) , Old McDonald (12) , The Bull Hayes (20) , Endless Intrigue (25) , Si CEtait Vrai (25) , Far Away So Close (50)

Dr PJ Moriarty Novice Chase -

Favourites: Mikael DHaguenet (5/6) , Magnanimity (4) , Bostons Angel (9/2) , Sam Adams (12) , Western Charmer (16)

If MdH cannot win this comfortably then I think Hamm's arguement might have alot more substance to it than I initially gave credit for.

Back