Leopardstown Thursday

Guest_

At the Start
A card in store for Thursday evening that would be passable for any none Group 1 weekend card.

First up is the Group 3 Tyros Stakes. Bolger confirmed that Cuis Ghaire is due to run in this, stepping up to 7 furlongs for the first time which she should relish. Ballydoyle has the likes of Rip Van Winkle and Set Sail entered up, Ryehill Dreamer is a solid colt while Kamado and Alhaban tie in the form of Bushranger and Mastercraftsman respectively.

The other Group 3 on the card is the Meld Stakes, run over 1m2f. While Mustameet, Lord Admiral etc are all solid listed/group 3 performers it would be disapointing if one of the three year olds can not land this. Ballydoyle has a few in it with the most interesting being Plan and Zulu Chief. With Plan likely to head to America next it may leave the way for Zulu Chief to step up to Group 3 company for the first time. So impressive when landing his maiden this could be a nice stepping stone to greater things later in the season.

Forecast for this week is meant to be really good so the ground should be good proper summer ground. Probably heading to the races at Naas on Wednesday evening so will probably just watch this ATR but if some of the stars turn up it could be a cracker.

No Zulu Chief in the Meld Stakes, but the clash of Cuis Ghaire and Rip Van Winkle should certainly be interesting.

Small fields due to the state of the ground. In the second last race the top two are in the Galway Hurdle so I doubt they'll be given hard races. Previous winner at Leopardstwon Old Chatham may run well, he's an American bred and he loves the ground like the road but the trip may be a little short for him.

Lord Admiral missed a Group race at The Curragh recently because of the ground but he will love this ground tonight.

His win to place ratio looks a lot more normal these days. I wouldn't quite trust him yet but at 7/2 or bigger against 2 horses of similarish ability I'd take a chance.

I hate to be a bore and agree with the rest of you, but I think that at 7/2 he looks value. The main doubt is the tenth furlong, especially if the O'Brien horses set a strong pace, but I think he should be up to coping.

Even with the presumed pacemaker (King of Westphalia), I can't help thinking King of Rome looks very short at 5/4.

Rip Van Winkle wins like a potential superstar. They couldn't go fast enough for him early on.

I actually think King Of Rome will make the running myself.

Race turned into a bit of a sprint which I thought would favor the Bolger filly.

Galileo has sired two good ones for next year's classics. Both are currently heading the betting for the 2000 and 1000 guineas.

I think Sunybay's post looks a fairer reflection. Regardless of whether it is Bolger's fault the filly didn't want to know.

I disagree, just re-watched it and I do not see how CG can be considered ungenuine or not giving her all there. Just beaten by a better horse and she was carring a penalty as well. Think she will still be hard to be in the Moyglare.

I think Marina Of Venice might be a better long-term prospect than Cuis Ghaire. She won in a good time on her debut although I'd have to accept the form of the race isn't working out all that well.

Rip Van Winkle the better and more progressive horse in my opinion.
Went for a right touch on King of Westphalia at 20s -the heart started beating when he was backed into 8s.He is incredibly awkward and looks destined for Jackdaws Castle after that.

I thought RVW's action would suggest that he would prefer an ease in the ground, anyone got an opinion on this ?

Thought he moved very much like his sire. The ground was a fast as anything yesterday and he handled it fine.

Maybe like his Sire he'd prefer genuine good ground than, to my eye he just seemed to be thinking about it a little.

The ground was described as firm all week until the day of the races then they called it gd-fm ,good in places the day of the races. I couldn't make it yesterday, what was the going ? I watched the races on Atr and it looked firm. What where Leopardstown up to they're usually better than that.

Cuis Ghaire does not seem the same fillie she was 2 outings ago, she didnt look well at Royal Ascot but after yesterday, looks one to oppose in any company for me.

Bolger has ruined anoher good fillie

The winner looks a nice prospect.

Exactly how has Bolger ruined Cuis Ghaire?

Your post is amongst the most ridiculous, biased post i have seen in a long, long time.

Cuis Ghaire is beaten by a horse who is now favourite for the 2000 Guineas, and this means Bolger has ruined her?!!

I suggest you look for a job with those ugly hacks who berated Bolger in a tasteless manner post-Derby.

Agreed, it was a very satisfactory run from the filly who was running off level weights remember. I hope many right her off for the Moyglare, I think she’ll have a great chance particularly if there is a little ease in the going.

Agree about the Moyglare. Who'll go from Ballydoyle do you know?

Here's an article from the sporting Life:

BOLGER BLASTS LEOPARDSTOWN

Jim Bolger slammed the condition of the racing surface at Leopardstown following Cuis Ghaire's defeat in the Tyros Stakes on Thursday evening.
The ante-post 1000 Guineas favourite was beaten a length-and-a-quarter by Rip Van Winkle and afterwards Bolger told the Racing Post:: "The track is a disgrace. There isn't a blade of grass on it. I was going to take Cuis Ghaire out of the race and I'm kicking myself that I didn't.
"It has nothing to do with the result. I've been beaten before and will be again. The winner is a very smart horse and I'm not saying we would have beaten him in different circumstances, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't comment on the state of the track."

Back