Leopardstown Tomorrow

Guest_

At the Start
I have serious reservations about it going ahead and certainly doubts about the chases going ahead. Which is a shame because the novice chases are (for me) the most interesting races on the cards.

Wins Now should handle the going fine and it will be interesting to see how he jumps after his little mishap.

Perce Rock should love the ground but is the trip a worry? Glencove Marina really excites me and while the trip will be fine the ground must be a worry.

Havn't had a serious look through as I don't think it'll go ahead (hasn't stopped since I got back to Dublin!)..

What is Perce Rock doing running over 2m5f instead of the Irish Arkle given connections have stated they think of him as an Arkle horse for Cheltenham? Very strange. Probably irrelevant I suppose as it must be long odds the race will actually be run..

I quite like the look of Oscar Lyons in the Pertemps Qualifier.

This afternoon's meeting at Leopardstown goes ahead after the track passed a 7.30am inspection.

Officials had been concerned by the threat of heavy overnight rain and although the ground is very testing, they are satisfied with conditions.

The Irish Turf Club's Cliff Noone said: "They have checked both tracks and they are happy it is raceable. They had some rain overnight but not as much as expected so they are quite happy everything is in order."

He added: "The ground is heavy but both the hurdles and chases go ahead."

Ground is going to be desperate. I would prefer to see a horse like Glencove Marina pulled out of todays race.

I think Finger On the Pulse has shown similar level to Perce Rock and Glencove as a hurdler and better chasing form than thelater, will be suited by the conditions and is the value at 8/1.

Wins Now is the most like winner of the second but too short at odds on.

In he hcp chase
Notable detravaul for me with Sea diva as the main danger

Pierese
I like Barker and shazand is the danger.

Pertemps
nothing original, I like Jessica Harringtons horse.

Glencove Marina was very impressive today,
FOTP is a good marker and he beat him easily.

Today didnt like an Arkle horse

Originally posted by sunybay@Jan 13 2008, 01:44 PM
Glencove Marina was very impressive today,
FOTP is a good marker and he beat him easily.

Today didnt like an Arkle horse
sunalliance maybe shrug::

Beginners Chases in Ireland - 20+ runners, half the field can't jump and fancied horses are frequently held up on very soft ground. Surely they'd be better off racing handy or even in a Graded chase debut where there'd be fewer runners and less interference?

This is of course a reference to Wins Now's defeat earlier today.

Exactly...this is a notion that some are getting into their heads about Irish novice chases. Wins Now didnt lose because of the big field or interferance today.

Yep although I do think it depends on the type of horse Gal. There are some who definitely do not benefit from having such a rough introduction to fences in a big field and would be better served in a more patient environment. The irony, of course, is that front runners like Kazal shouldn't be affected by it!

I would add Leopardstown did a great job to get racing going ahead today. Ground was clearly testing but I have seen it alot worse. By far the best racecourse in the country.

Well surely it goes without saying that its less of an issue in maiden hurdles because the obstacles take less jumping. Just think it can't be a coincidence that Ireland are always strong in the novice hurdle division but, for example, may only have one or two runners in this year's Gold Cup. Injuries apart, a disproportionately high amount of decent Irish horses seem to be soured when they go over the bigger ones so you have to look at the environment.

As an aside, what did people think of Mister Top Notch today?

As an aside, what did people think of Mister Top Notch today?

Exceptional, and he didn't seem to have that hard a race. Top weights have no business winning big competitive handicaps like that on heavy ground.

Indeed, although Point Barrow did something similar last year but has lost his way since then unfortunately although you do wonder if he's being laid out for something - would have to think not though.

Mister Top Notch may not get his best ground at the business end of the year but in a soft ground Hennessey I suspect he might provide a bit of each way value.

Just think it can't be a coincidence that Ireland are always strong in the novice hurdle division but, for example, may only have one or two runners in this year's Gold Cup. Injuries apart, a disproportionately high amount of decent Irish horses seem to be soured when they go over the bigger ones so you have to look at the environment.

Hurdlers are different to chasers....not all are simply good enough. What horses have been "soured" as you put it?

Not all the top British novice hurdles go over fences with ease either.

And your theory should also apply to maiden hurdles if its true. Obviously they are not as big to jump but they still provide similar tests and usually going at a faster pace as well.

My point is we all know how hard it is to make up ground on soft/heavy ground what's the point in holding the horse up given all the other likely pitfalls and on top of that the state of the ground?

I've no doubt his jump 3 out cost him ground and he was only beaten 4 or 5 lengths and for much of the race he was 6 or 7 behind Scotsirish anyway. Not saying he'd have won but I'm sure he'd have been closer than he was.

Back