Letheby And Christopher Chase

I've gone for Simon, I just hope it's that little bit testing enough to need stamina rather than speed to win this

Rang Paddy Power tonight to ask for the 33s Billyvoddan each way(which they are still advertising)-they offered me 20s which I didn't accept.

Everyone knows the kind of horse Our Vic is, and he is a dodgy proposition in this race at a short price - but he is drifting and is 4.7 to back on Betfair now. Tempting.

It's a 2 horse race for me. Either Madison Du Berlais or Neptunes Collognes.

Wouldnt touch anything else in this race and will be shocked if im wrong (I have been shocked many times before) :nuts:

Originally posted by betsmate@Jan 26 2008, 02:50 PM
No surprise to see the principals turned over. I just picked the wrong beast. :D
It`s funny, i judged that Our Vic was value for that (i got 38/10 after commission) based on the fact that the horses around him in the betting - NC (Usual overbet Nicholls horse , beating Kingscliff his best form) - Simon (plodder) - State of Play (overrated handicapper) were all way shorter than they should have been - and yet Knowhere`s form before the turn of the year meant he should really have been 8s/10s tops.

This sounds wise after the event, but when I went through the form last night it was the trip that I marked against Our Vic.

Trip but more specifically the hill after three some miles. They go too fast for him over shorter so he`s getting really hard to place. It was a worry for me as well but i didn`t rate the opposition so plunged on.

Id be happy to take on Our Vic for the third year in a row in the Ryanair. I actually have a 100% record in the race :D As with the previous two years it should be one of best races of the day on the Thursday.

I had a win bet 80/20 on each of Simon and Our Vic, and then tried to get an e/w on Knowhere just before the off when he went out - was just too late and decided to leave it... The horse looked magnificent today and has really filled out into a superb chaser.

I can't agree with whoever on here this week said Paddy Brennan was a very bad jockey - he's a plus in my book and has been responsible imo for the excellent form this year compared with the last two of Twister's yard. OK he makes the odd mistake in pacing the hrose, but usually he gets it right - and in jump races that's so important

Agree Our Vic is interesting for the Ryanair, but it's going to be ultra competitive this year

Originally posted by Headstrong+Jan 26 2008, 05:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Headstrong @ Jan 26 2008, 05:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Agree Our Vic is interesting for the Ryanair, but it's going to be ultra competitive this year [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Betsmate

Will take some beating in the Ryanair for sure[/quote]

I don't understand how.

2005 PU - 2006 Beaten 64l and 2007 beaten 3/4l

Best price 7/1. No Thanks.

Yes but he does seem to have improved this season. Maybe he's finding the new 'regime' at Nicholashaye more to his liking!

You really do feel strongly about that Mel! :D

In terms of the Festival, I would have preferred to have seen Our Vic kept fresh until the big day myself.

Originally posted by Gearoid@Jan 26 2008, 05:24 PM
I would say he was on the decline rather than improving.
Gearoid,

Your previous post indicates he is improving, not in decline.

Also, considering this year he won't have to shoulder a penalty, I would say a reasonable observation is that this year represents his best chance thus far, and this is further enhanced by his greater consistency in his advancing years.

He is now a 10-yo and therefore its highly unlikely he is improving. He was considered a Gold Cup contender last season but after being well beat in todays race he went for the Ryanair. I dont see how his chances have inproved this year or why he was tried over 3m on that ground after last season. Its a no brainer he must be opposed for the fourth year running in the Ryanair. Catch him early in the season not at Cheltenham.

Yes he is now 10, but he ran better in the Ryanair at 9 than at 8, and his form this season is arguably marginally better, or at least equal to last. Thing to consider is if the Ryanair last year had been run under this year's conditions, then the weight he had to concede to Taranis would have probably turned around the result.

What i struggle with is who to oppose him with?

I agree he had a hard race today and it might have cooked his chance at the Festival

Gearoid I don't believe it's impossible for a horse to improve form 8 to 9 to 10, esp with a change of trainer and regime which he has effectively had over the last two seasons. DP's horses are still fit but not so 'hard-trained' as I think they sometimes were under MP, which seemed to sour a few of them quite badly, esp DJ's.

He was running on past beaten horses in the King George, no way is he improving. I don`t think there is anything in the Ryanair as good as Fondmort, Impek and Taranis were - but there are so many decent animals looking to have a crack at the prize that i feel at least one or two will hold on and beat him.

Our Vic
huge fan me too

I think he didnt stay the hill
he is not imprving but not regressing

he can win the Ryan Air if the ground is soft

Back