Longchamp Sunday

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Wooton Basset could be an interesting one for the Jersey if not having the gr1 penalty, but will be very difficult to place this season. 7f horse for me.

I know it's early-ish days, but Frankel aside, is this the worst crop of 3yo milers in years?

Thought Hanagan got the fractions all wrong on WB, no use blaming the draw, he went off too quick for me. The winner looks smart but can't see him getting anywhere near Frankel. Moore didn't cover himself in glory on Imperial Rome either.

Just looking at the sectionals tonight, the final 2f of the Pouliches was run in 22.19 seconds - or 111.9% of the overall pace - which suggests that they went an utterly farcical gallop with the form looking relatively suspect.

The final 2f of the Poulains was run in 23.52 - or 102.2% of the overall pace - which suggests they went a far more serious gallop. It's hard to draw any conclusions without standards or anything to compare those sectionals with, but my initial impression would be that the sectionals indicate that they went a decent though probably not overly strong gallop.

Of course this doesn't take into account the energy the Fahey horse expended in getting to the front or indeed the fact that he seemed pretty free even on the lead.

Just looking at the sectionals tonight, the final 2f of the Pouliches was run in 22.19 seconds - or 111.9% of the overall pace - which suggests that they went an utterly farcical gallop with the form looking relatively suspect.

The final 2f of the Poulains was run in 23.52 - or 102.2% of the overall pace - which suggests they went a far more serious gallop. It's hard to draw any conclusions without standards or anything to compare those sectionals with, but my initial impression would be that the sectionals indicate that they went a decent though probably not overly strong gallop.

Of course this doesn't take into account the energy the Fahey horse expended in getting to the front or indeed the fact that he seemed pretty free even on the lead.

Thanks for this TS. I'd be wary of the form of these races when viewed together with the effects of the draw in these size fields. Seems to me you could have a handful of different results if you mixed them up and ran them again.

Wooton Basset could be an interesting one for the Jersey if not having the gr1 penalty, but will be very difficult to place this season. 7f horse for me.

fully agree. did not fully get a mile as combination of no race/fresh/way the race panned out, and thought he looked pretty small behind the starting stalls suggesting he did not grow an awful lot over winter. breeding makes him more a sprinter in any case.

would like the jersey route as well. he could have a bit too much class for them in any case ...

GOLDIKOVA takes the Prix d'Isphahan - her thirteenth Group 1. Not sure there's any need to say more than that. Horse is just fantastic.

She'll need to be sharper than this though... Canford is coming and she's about to fall off a cliff.;)

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...ME=racing/11/05/23/manual_111658.html&BID=464

Looks like she is coming but Head is clearly not confident of beating Canford..... I thought it was a decent run first time back for her and i'd expect her to improve but I have to say I think Steve has worn me down and I reckon Canford will turn her over, provided Hughes remembers she is a 13 time Group 1 winner and giving her an 8 length head start is a bad idea.

Be strong! He nearly did the same to me before Sea the Stars Derby with Fame and Glory - not saying Canford is that slow but he isn't as fast as the best mare we've seen :)

…I knew you were humouring an old man in his dotage when pretending to change your mind! However, they cleverly kept Sea The Stars to trips below three-and-a-half miles and retired him early, thus avoiding Fame this season!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...ME=racing/11/05/23/manual_111658.html&BID=464

Looks like she is coming but Head is clearly not confident of beating Canford..... I thought it was a decent run first time back for her and i'd expect her to improve but I have to say I think Steve has worn me down and I reckon Canford will turn her over, provided Hughes remembers she is a 13 time Group 1 winner and giving her an 8 length head start is a bad idea.

...you know it makes sense. The 5/4 will look even better to some when she backs out.;)

I've had my fingers burned taking her on before though... I'm planning on going on the Tuesday so i'll be happy enough to be there in the flesh....

I would side with Canford at the moment though.

…for the moment, and for eternity.

…I’m also looking forward to the flesh.

Last edited:
Barry,
Take yourself off the forum for a while - Steve seems to have gotten into your head.

I think we could see her best performance yet - Peslier certainly won't go too quick this year.

Couldn't back either of them at the prices, they have it about right although Goldikova probably should be favourite but 6/4 is hardly juicy.

Back