Longchamp

betsmate

At the Start
Some more quality racing across the channel tomorrow with three Group 1s and a Group 2.

The pick for me in Darjina and Literato re-opposing in the Prix D'Ispahan.

I'm looking forward to seeing Coastal Path. He's only been just getting going in these 2m races and his form continues to be boosted by what Royal and Regal has shown in this country. With a step up to 2 1/2m likely to suit, I think he's got an excellent chance of toppling Yeats in the Ascot Gold Cup.

Originally posted by betsmate@May 17 2008, 11:21 AM

The pick for me in Darjina and Literato re-opposing in the Prix D'Ispahan.
Surprised to see the filly favourite for this. Also think it`s a shame that most fellow forumites seem more interested in the pill popping action over the pond.

C Path has been very impresive today. 6/1 is a great price for the Gold cup now.

I am. The game has been tarnished for me over the last few years, it`s unfortunate there isn`t a cleaner version over here.

Fair enough Euro - although equally I'd suggest that there's nothing approaching the Triple Crown over here either.

Anyway, when I saw there'd been rain I almost backed Literato on the basis that Creachadoir suggested that their older horses at least were running well. Thank God I didn't. What's happened to him? He was stupidly consistent until he went to Godolphin.

Nice boost to Duke of Marmalade and Saddex from the winner. Darjina really doesn't pick up on soft ground does she?

Some shock results there at Longchamp, but good to see both Peintre Celebre and Johannesburg getting good winners. Very disappointed with Proviso, she doesn't seem to have trained on at all

:clap: That is a landmark win then. I know Nick Shiambouros who's very hot on breeding and knows a lot about US racing is very sweet on him as an upcoming sire

The Godolphin horse had worked poorly last week and wasn't expected today, they felt he would come on and have been steadily bringing him along.

Alot of the Godolphin horses have been left short this term and only a seldom few are ready to hit the ground running.

Before the race:

Connections of Literato, who finished 12 on his seasonal bow in the Dubai Duty Free, report conditions in France to be ideal for the son of Kendor.

"Literato disappointed us with his run in Dubai but he has been working well and is in good form," Saeed bin Suroor said.

"The nine-furlong trip will suit him and some cut in the ground will be good for him as well.

"He has won at Longchamp twice before so he knows the racecourse very well and we are looking forward to seeing a good run from him."

shrug::

well if you call coming a pushed out upsides Purple Emperor who was going nicely good work then I'm very surprised.

He also struggled to go away from a modest 80 odd rated handicapper when blowing out earlier in the week.

It does ***** me off when trainers aren't straight in the press.

It's certainly a lottery backing any Godolphin horse right now! - with the odds stacked well against you :rolleyes:

That's shamefully misleading from Suroor if the gallops reports are correct - as I've no doubt they are. What's he trying to do, convince Crisford and Sheikh Mo the horse is ready for a run so he can have a day over in Paris?

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 18 2008, 05:14 PM
It's certainly a lottery backing any Godolphin horse right now! - with the odds stacked well against you :rolleyes:

That's shamefully misleading from Suroor if the gallops reports are correct - as I've no doubt they are. What's he trying to do, convince Crisford and Sheikh Mo the horse is ready for a run so he can have a day over in Paris?
In fairness Chris's views (who are appreciated on the forum) do not detail the weights either horse were working with so if the trainer says they were happy with the horse first time out we'll have to take that as face value.

Kerrin McEvoy was working Literato with Purple Emperor ridden by a lad, hazzard a guess but Purple would have been carrying more.

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 18 2008, 01:34 PM
Very disappointed with Proviso, she doesn't seem to have trained on at all
Given a better ride and/or stronger pace I think she would have won today. Whether or not you agree with that, it would be hard to say definitively that she hasn't trained on.

Originally posted by Galileo+May 18 2008, 05:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ May 18 2008, 05:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@May 18 2008, 05:14 PM

In fairness Chris's views (who are appreciated on the forum) do not detail the weights either horse were working with so if the trainer says they were happy with the horse first time out we'll have to take that as face value. [/b][/quote]
More to the point, unless you are privy to what the exact work instructions were to each rider [as well as knowing the weights, you can't assume that just because a lad is on it is carrying more, a lot of lads weigh next to nothing] then you can't make assumptions on how well a horse worked, even if watching it. The instructions may have been for Purple Emperor to do everything on the bridle and for Literato to be asked for more; likewise instructions may also have been not to get "too far away" from the 80 rated handicapper quoted, or even to finish alongside it.

Sageburg is a very well-bred colt indeed - his dam won a Group 2 and a Group 3, and is a full sister to Sagamix.

Originally posted by Venusian@May 18 2008, 08:44 PM
Sageburg is a very well-bred colt indeed - his dam won a Group 2 and a Group 3, and is a full sister to Sagamix.
I have just seen the race now, I thought the winner was pretty impressive. Was always highly regarded, and was mooted as an Arc horse last year.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+May 18 2008, 07:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ May 18 2008, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Galileo@May 18 2008, 05:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong
@May 18 2008, 05:14 PM
It's certainly a lottery backing any Godolphin horse right now! - with the odds stacked well against you  :rolleyes:

That's shamefully misleading from Suroor if the gallops reports are correct - as I've no doubt they are.  What's he trying to do, convince Crisford and Sheikh Mo the horse is ready for a run so he can have a day over in Paris?

In fairness Chris's views (who are appreciated on the forum) do not detail the weights either horse were working with so if the trainer says they were happy with the horse first time out we'll have to take that as face value.
More to the point, unless you are privy to what the exact work instructions were to each rider [as well as knowing the weights, you can't assume that just because a lad is on it is carrying more, a lot of lads weigh next to nothing] then you can't make assumptions on how well a horse worked, even if watching it. The instructions may have been for Purple Emperor to do everything on the bridle and for Literato to be asked for more; likewise instructions may also have been not to get "too far away" from the 80 rated handicapper quoted, or even to finish alongside it. [/b][/quote]
I agree with that Dom but it was Purple Emperor who was travelling and Literato being nudged along and Kerrin was rar-ing and clicking,

Those aren't the signs of a horse full of running.

If anything his work has been justified by the way he ran.

Back