Longchamp

It looks that way, yes - my point really is that it is very hard to interpret work unless you are privy to instructions, weight differences and what the riders had to say afterwards.

Originally posted by gus+May 18 2008, 06:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gus @ May 18 2008, 06:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@May 18 2008, 01:34 PM
Very disappointed with Proviso, she doesn't seem to have trained on at all
Given a better ride and/or stronger pace I think she would have won today. Whether or not you agree with that, it would be hard to say definitively that she hasn't trained on. [/b][/quote]
Agree with that, Gus. Picked up really nicely off a a slow gallop from dead last turning in. If there is a decent gallop in the Diane, I think she has the turn of foot to win it.

Gagnoa ran an encouraging race as well. Pulled very hard (to be expected given the lack of pace), which probably told in the closing stages, but shaped like a filly who will be better over 12 furlongs (more so than Proviso I thought).

A recent incident involving a Gold Cup winning jockey and a GPS malfunction got me thinking: has anybody seen a jockey mistake the straight at Longchamp? Wonder if it's ever happened..

I've seen them ride out to the wrong winning post there, but can't say I've seen that - imagine the poor ###### trying to cover it up all the way to the line!

Well, Willie Supple rode out a finish a circuit too early at Ballinrobe not too long ago and tried to act as if it never happened!

Would take a performance of staggering ineptitude though alright, especially given the speed they're travelling in most races turning into the false straight!

Originally posted by gus+May 18 2008, 06:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gus @ May 18 2008, 06:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@May 18 2008, 01:34 PM
Very disappointed with Proviso, she doesn't seem to have trained on at all
Given a better ride and/or stronger pace I think she would have won today. Whether or not you agree with that, it would be hard to say definitively that she hasn't trained on. [/b][/quote]
I'm glad to hear that, thanks [I don't like being wrong about a horse I've followed from early days!] - I haven't seen the race yet, was just going on placings and the race reports

Regarding Longchamp, this was the 'comments in going' for one of Elite's in the 2005 Prix de l'Abbaye won by Avonbridge:
<< Eisteddfod - headway halfway, 4th 1f out, no extra >>

In fact Frankie stood up at the first winning post and lost what would have been 3rd. We - most of us anyway - saw it, but it since both the French stewards and the RP and other reporters missed it, it all got hushed up! I was chatting one day about it to one of Coleys sons to who fessed up to me that they all knew that's what happened :suspect: I'd been moaning about Nelson de Souza being jocked off the horse after doing so well, and Cole Jnr said, 'Yes, it'[s tough, but you have to have a top jock for these big races' so I said, Oh you mean like Frankie in the Prix de l'Abbaye!' :laughing:

Gawd. They really need to get a decent camera angle on the Longchamp sprint course - I didn't even know there was a second winning post down there.

Edit: looking at Google Earth it looks like there's one just before the crossing with the main track, whilst the real one is just after the crossing. Was that it? How on earth did he manage that...

Yes that must have been it - it was only a small distance but as the 3/4/5/6 came in in such a bunch it def cost him the place. These things happen, but when a hard-working very nice young man who gets on especially with the horse and had done nothing wrong on him to date gets jocked off for an 'international superstar', and that happens, it's more than galling.

We all felt desperately sorry for Nelson - and a big club contingent had gone over for the weekend too, so they weren't very happy missing their moment in the winners enc! It was never admitted publicly tho even after some tart missives to the club newsletter LOL

Back