Lough Derg

Well done Lough Derg. ATR even got a rhyme about him in the post race comments - tough as teak he's a cool freak.

...just seems to thrive on racing. I backed the runner-up against him today and was counting my money, but the winner in the end has held them off comfortably.

Could not go to watch him today, but went into bookies in Marlborough. Packed with old regulars, mostly 'dog men'. Silent, looking bored. Race unfolds, still silent.... finally all hell breaks lose, lots of shouting. Various things, all the names he's called by racegoers, "Lochie", "Dergie", and his stablename "Douglas". He's looking beaten and fights back, and wins. Everyone in the shop is on him. :)

Even the manager is happy as he is a big fan.

And then, a little later Royal Auclair wins his second Hunter Chase. :) :)

And then, a little later Royal Auclair wins his second Hunter Chase. :) :)

Yes but the second was closing! Nicholls said after the race he thought El Hombre was going to beat him from where he stood - perhaps if these hunter chases werre run as handicaps he may have done! The RP analysis said the winner was idling in front but he looked pooped after he pulled up. Not convinced Nicholls horses looked great today (Kicks For Free bled) at Fontwell apart from the horse that won the first, Alfie Sherrin which is a very very nice horse and one to keep an eye on.

I thought the same Jinny, although that was a very nice display from Pierrot Lunnaire, and the step up in trip definitely seemed to suit.

A fantastic horse, beloved by all the yard and the poor owner is apparently forbidden to ever take him away, even for summer hols! It seems he gets very out of hand at home if he doesn't go racing, he really needs that buzz and thrives on it. I think we shall be seeing him for quite a while yet, and amazingly he seems to be still improving! The relationship between him and Tom Scu is something to see - and to treasure.

Back