Many Going To Cheltenham?

I've never been, but some of the blokes in my local bookies have and say its a good crack. Although they say it can get a bit crowded and the betting ring is pandemonium when the big races are on.

You have to very betting driven or plain stupid to be anywhere near the betting ring when a big race is on.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Mar 2 2008, 08:38 PM
I disagree; it's a great place to be - the atmosphere and buzz is fantastic.
This will my first year going and and i also agree that it will be a good place to be..
Will know more when i come back...
But for me it is part of going to race meetings ..

Originally posted by michael_o@Mar 2 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your welcome, Colin, Kathy and Zebs. Can anyone explain why my posts carry a rather sinister line beneath my details which says "warning (0%)"?

Is it because I'm on probation as a "newbie"?

P.S. Colin, you wouldn't by any chance be Seabird on TRF?
NASHWAN & MICHAEL O .....first of all welcome guys..............

RE this warning sign ....you must have heard or seen the mark of Zorro.......Z.......Well this was the mark of Ardross a once moderator on here who tried to control people as well as the threads, and caused mayhem by doing so.................... :suspect: long gone [as a mod] and this forum is all the better for it aswell....... :D

If I have an interest in a race at the festival be it financial or purely for enjoyment I want to watch it with binos and on the screen, If you stand in the ring during a bigrace you get jostled by the late £2 merchants, people who have no idea what they are doing, pickpockets and faces who want a bet after the favourite has fallen.
If you just want to watch on the screen then OK otherwise you have to be a least six feet tall,as I am, to watch. No thanks. Maybe during the Xcountry.

I'll be there on the Thursday & Friday this year.

Only other time there was the day Moscow Flyer fell in the Champion Chase.

Every day as usual. Way too busy but fabulous.
Booked flights to Punchestown today-first time ever Ive not gone on the boat.
Anyone have an idea how long it takes to drive from Dublin to Naas?

I've not even bothered to take the week off work this year. Will make sure that I see the Gold Cup live, otherwise I'll just watch repeats.

I've really lost interest in the NH now, looking forward to the flat.

I am afraid so :D Every year I try my hardest to be enthusiastic, but at the end of the day it is just filler whilst the ground is too bad for good horses.

Hi Maruco

Mind if 2 redheads join the party on Monday night?

We're both local girls - if you're a regular at Cheltenham you will probably have seen us by the paddock.

PS - I only live a mile from the course, so if anyone wants weather reports I'm happy to give them because, as posted on another thread, the going isn't always as given.

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to drive from Dublin to Naas?

harry, totally depends on the time of day. Leave Airport From 7AM-9.30AM = 2Hours, 4PM- 7PM 1.75 Hours.

Otherwise about an hour should do it.

One day for me. The Tuesday, which has about the best card, but not the worst crowds. I find more than one day too much if commuting from London

I agree a bit with Galileo. The atmosphere is wonderful but with even the paddock being a pain to get to and from (and perhaps being the one meeting of the year when i have a few), you can feel a bit too out of touch with the details

Im going to Plumpton the day before (for the first time). What a contrast... :)

Ive never been , always watched it on TV, hope one year to go and experience the atmosphere first hand ...im on late duty this year so will have to record it ....Hope to get to Aintree tho as it is my local course .... :)

Going for all four days with a couple of racing buddies.

We're catching the iron horse at 08:05 prompt on Monday morning, and should arrive at Cheltenham Spa around 14:00 or thereabouts. We're renting a gaff not far from Pitville Circus, and will be at the Royal Oak Preview on the Monday evening.

We will also be hooking-up with Maruco, Warbler and a few other heads at the Plough on the Tuesday evening (and possibly every evening that week).

Hey! Betsmate!! If you're tired of the Festival, you're tired of life - and if you're looking forward to the Flat, you probably never had a life in the first place!!! :P :D

:D I have no defence!

Actually I really enjoy the festival and in the past have always taken the week off work. The thing that gets me is the weeks of nothing in the run up - an utter lack of top quality racing. To NH fans I appreciate the Christmas eve analogy, to someone like me who is waiting for the flat, it is just prolonging the agony!

Just spoken to my Dad and he has evidently filling his old work van with champagne, home grown boiled eggs (don't ask) tea and coffee, salmon sarnies and chocolate cake so apologies in advance if anyones see's us in the car park on Tuesday and mistakes us for a load of pikeys! :shy:

My Dad will almost certainly be doing doing his rendition of Old Shep or Danny Boy after the 2nd glass of champagne has kicked in! :brows: He is bringing his favourite "diddly dee" tapes, but if he starts dancing.... I'm off.

God help us! :brows:

Back