Mares Hurdle

Must have been some burnt fingers for the in running traders. Refinement surely traded at massive prices in running, and then no doubt went ridiculously short when McCoy hit the front.

Cracking race. I was on Chomba Womba, and no, I'm still not betting place only :angy:

Anyone think McCoy thought he had it won in last 2 strides? (Didn't bet in the race) Racing UK started to mumble something about it but shut up - nothing to do with it being the Champ rather than a "visits once a year" French jock of course!

Originally posted by Steve T@Mar 14 2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone think McCoy thought he had it won in last 2 strides? (Didn't bet in the race) Racing UK started to mumble something about it but shut up - nothing to do with it being the Champ rather than a "visits once a year" French jock of course!
Tricky one. He did seem to relax for a split second, could have made the difference.

I watched this in the Lambourn laddies - which was so crowded you could barely see the screen
They were all yelling their heads off from way out at Mick Fitz's holdup tactics as he seemed to feel Gaspara was the only danger and was shading her for far too long! - Very noisy frustration indeeed........ Being the Lambourn horse they were all on of course [me too]. Not Fitz's finest moment :suspect:

No, Chomba Womba, could have gone on from way back but was on a tight rein shading Gaspara -
watch the race again :)

If he'd gone on earlier, he'd have been swallowed up more quickly - ridden too prominently from the start IMO.

Sorry just watched the re-run, I misread the race as I couldn't see it properly in the crush of the bookies, probably not as I said, tho maybe he could have gone on a bit sooner, but not really culpable! As you say might have been swallowed up sooner. It just seemed at the time he was shading too long, and certainly the Lambourn locals seemed to think so. The re-run shows it wasn't so

Speaking to Henderson's travelling head lad and he said Chomba Womba didnt get up the hill and was outstayed by two better horses. they were not blaming Fitzy in any way. That can't be said about My Petra however.

I backed Chomba Womba and saw very little wrong with the ride, just didn't stay up the hill as well as the others.

I also backed My Petra and feel slightly (understatement) robbed.

Fantastic finish though, I saw Refinement go clear then looked down and started hearing people in the bookies shouting again, I actually missed the finish first time as I was absolutely certain Refinement had won by a couple of lengths...

I think McCoy did let it go for a split second, and it affected his rides the whole day, he had some howlers today...

Personally, I have a feeling that AP's fitness may have let him down today especially in the driving finishes. It must have taken a hell of a lot out of him after his injury and although he is clearly fit, I wonder if he was fit enough and Cheltenham may have just found him out a little.

Just a thought. shrug::

AP rode perfectly well - Whiteoak was dossing and rallied to beat Refinement , Song of Songs didn't get home, Aigle d'Or was never travelling nor was Gone to Lunch,Franchoek was done by a class act, Exotic Dancer got tired was clearly not ready for a race like that, Hasty Prince and Wanango not good enough

Let's face it this last two days has been particularly tough for the top jocks who had rides in most of the races. Six a day would be unusual - there is usually a hunter chase and an amateurs' race on most cards, so 4 or at most 5 is the norm. The deamds on fitness and resolve of the last two days on the top jocks has been immense. Coming back from a broken back which you've only given six weeks to heal, and riding the number of races he has at top level, is a massive ask of your body - And AP also had at least one jarring fall at the meeting.

Even so it would be hard to say he hadn't given all his mounts a great ride. I did think however - and still think after watching Franchoek's race - that Choc might have won on him. Franchoek never looked happy to me, going on his 'body language' - and Choc knows him so well, he just might have got a better song out of him. But we shall never know!

Kathy, I'm inclined to agree with you. I have heard that he hurt his back a bit on the first day - but not seriously enough to do any damage or to get him stood down.

Thanks, Redhead. I also heard something yesterday in Lambourn about how AP was evidently in such pain he was unable to sit down at times. I am not saying this is the reason why he didn't have more winners just that despite the adrenalin etc. I imagine that AP did not have the most comfortable Festival ever. It may have been a factor.

I was gently mocked by one of the men on the forum last week for saying I wouldn't want AP on my horse at the Festival this time - nothing I saw has made me think I was wrong.

Horses can feel when someone isn't riding fluently and it can sap their confidence no end and put them out of rhythm. The fall on Don't Push It compounded any lingering problem and I should have laid off any AP-mounted bets following that

Franchoek was the only one I could *see* not benefiting from the ride - and obviously that's a disappointment to me as he was my biggest bet [not potential winner, but bet] of the meeting.
There may have been others

Hi Headstrong

I work for an Orthopaedic Surgeon who also has an interest in NH racing. We chatted about APM's clearance to ride last week and, while wishing him well, were both doubtful that he would be quite ready to do himself and his mounts justice. My boss had his doubts through his professional view and my doubts were that APM only had a few days in which to get "race-fit", despite all moving parts being in perfect working-order.

As you say, horses do pick up very quickly on the messages from the saddle and their confidence can be reinforced or eroded accordingly.

All being well, Mr McCoy should be fully fit for Aintree - although whether the O'Neill string will have recovered their form by then ...

PS

I gave Whiteoak the highest rating of the meeting, although I think this might be down to her race being run on fresh ground (1st race) and before the rain.

Denman was second highest, but still 3 points higher than his previous personal best.

Back