Mark Johnston - Enemy Of The Punter

• Thread starter Thread starter useful
  • Start date Start date
i don't either.

there is a big difference nearly lasting a trip out and winning at it

i can see your point re him saving energy...but...he did nick a lead on them...so didn't exactly waste the energy...he did take lengths out...which they had to claw back...so using their energy up.

On paper alone it is clear cut that 8f was his best trip...the high RPR gained in the Dante is a nonsense especially when you look at Weigh Anchors ratings...that one also was given a silly RPR in that race which was totally out of line with the rest of his career.

MB was at least 7-10lb better at 8f than further

I think the horse would have been devastating kept at 7flgs and my friend David who was a manager at Baileys Horse Feeds and had a share in him always joked he'd have made a 6flg sprinter! - David's is a very experienced horse family btw. They ran him over further for stud value of course, but a mile was about enough.

He raced fairly prominently in most of his runs I think, just in behind the leaders and a couple of times in mid-division - can't see that anything Weaver had done would have changed anything, brave to try to nick it from the front whose ever idea it was

Originally posted by useful@Feb 7 2008, 12:55 PM
Given his final finishing position in the race, a gallant 4th of 25, I think it is quite clear this horse stayed 1m 2f.

Weaver free wheeled into Tattenham Corner and only appeared to send out distress signals approaching the 2 marker, and as Gareth rightly observed was only caught by the pack between the 1f and 2f poles.

Surely you must agree that ridden with more restraint he would have stayed the trip and had a chance of finishing nearer?
The year before Barathea was ridden with restraint and finished nine lengths fifth to Commander In Chief. He travelled strongly during the race however and the general feeling was that he would stay 10f. He didn`t.

Back