Mark Johnston's Yard

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

I went on holiday last week to a cottage in the yorkshire dales. On the way back I persuaded the missus to take a detour via Middleham (I couldn't stretch her generosity as far as to go to Carlisle to see Dobbin retire!).

What a lovely place, and historic - Richard III lived in the ruined castle for a while!

Anyway on the way out I noticed two entrances to Mark Johnston's yards - and on enquiry found out the one on the left as you enter Middleham from Leyburn (Warick House) was none other than Neville Crumps old yard from where 3 Grand National winners were sent out.

I really enjoyed my brief time there and want to go back for an open day when its next on.

Good to see Johnston with an across the card double today as well.

Welcome to the forum numbersix.....

Yes Middleham village and its surroundings are beautiful ,Steeped in Racing history ...did you manage to visit the gallops on the high moor , depending what time you went through their was probably horses being exercised on them ..... my daughter works on a yard their & i visit as much as i can......Lovely part of yorkshire :)

I love it there also. Years ago we had a horse with Mark and fell in love with the area so much we contemplated moving up there. Really beautiful place. Great vibes in the village as such a racing town, like a minature Lambourn!

Crump's old yard is pretty fabulous as you walk around you can see the old cobbles and some of the oldest boxes. I cannot remember what year Mark bought it, but it was fairly recent.

If you really want to see the place I don't think you have to wait for an open day - if you ring up and ask they will probably let you. They used to do a one hour tour for a fiver - I know that sounds crass, but the money was for the lad or lass who showed you around.

Not sure if they still do that as yard is so massive now, they actually have several small yards dotted about too.

Did you see the grave in front of Mark's house? The wonderful handicapper Branston Abbey is buried there.

We drove through the town and a couple of horses appeared being walked back the way we came. So we drove on and saw a gallop - there was a posse of people and a number of horses were being exercised - maybe a syndicate? It was about 10.30 am.

We stopped took a few pictures and then as we drove back in the village 4 more of Johnston's horses were being walked to the gallop.

A much different insight into the game than just going to the races and really worth a more detailed visit. Didn't get to see the grave but will next time I return.

As the Dales are about 3 hours drive for us we may go back again for the odd long weekend.

Originally posted by Isinglass@Apr 16 2008, 04:40 PM
Did you see the grave in front of Mark's house? The wonderful handicapper Branston Abbey is buried there.
This horse was the first leg of a remarkable trixie for me, only 50p (I was on the jam roll at the time) Michael Roberts rode all three. Branston Abby 11/1, Aradanza 7/1, Good For The Roses 9/1: £628 for my 2 quid!
Happy days!

How fab! I keep trying for doubles, trebles etc but so far not much luck.

Abbey was a big heroine of mine, so genuine, she loved a good battle. One of the first horses that Mark had who took to his regimes, and who began the public perception that his horses are tough and hard as heck to pass. Such a shame that she got grass sickness and was denied her chance as a broodmare.

There are other trainers near Middleham and Ferdy Murphy uses those gallops too so you might see more than just Mark's up there.

Yes, as we drove through Leyburn I was saying to the missus I can't for the life of me remember the top trainer based there and of course it was Ferdy! Hope his Noir Et Vert wins the Scottish National btw!

Originally posted by walsworth@Apr 17 2008, 01:06 AM

This horse was the first leg of a remarkable trixie for me, only 50p (I was on the jam roll at the time) Michael Roberts rode all three.
That must be Sara Moore's dad, who died very suddenly a few weeks ago coming off the gallops?
I posted some links to Stan's website with pics on of Mick, and I also an account of the funeral and the rest of the day, on Final Furlong. He was fine man! - much missed

Don't think so H. This was the South African jockey who was champion over here in 1992. Was Sheik Mohammed's jockey before Frankie, with not too much success.

Originally posted by walsworth@Apr 17 2008, 10:19 PM
Don't think so H. This was the South African jockey who was champion over here in 1992. Was Sheik Mohammed's jockey before Frankie, with not too much success.
Ah! I thought you were talking about NH horses a while back!!
I remember S African MR, he only retired a few years ago didn't he?

I wasn't really watching flat racing in that period so I don't know much about the horses or the jocks unless they eg won the Derby!

Back