Masterofthehorse sold and joins Debbie Mountain !

Ardross

Senior Jockey
This is reported on the RP site - I thought it had been hacked for a moment . They must have had concerns he wasn't going to progress to sell him surely ?

This is on another thread - on his way to Qatar apparently. I don't envy the detour he has had to make.

The yard tends to split its time between Newmarket and Qatar. Looks like Masterofthehorse will be aimed at Goodwood and/or York in the meantime.

Last edited:
This is on another thread - on his way to Qatar apparently. I don't envy the detour he has had to make.

Jeez - you're not wrong there! I saw first hand how that yard breaks in horses and its nothing short of brutal.

I can't find it (she bleats whinily)... to whom in Qatar, does it say? Who's the brutish breaker - Ms Mountain? I've lost the thread of this thread a bit.

I think my ante-post Leger bet on Masterofthehorse may just have gone the way of all ante-post bets.

Provides bookmakers and punters with quite a quandry. He'd go there with an outstanding form chance of his Derby run, but given his Curragh effort and the stable change, what is the likelihood of him reproducing it? Will be fascinating to see how they price this up. No doubt Harbinger will take out plenty of the market.

What a dreadful race he ran in the Gordon - he must be at least 21lb below his Derby form.

do you think being beaten 16 lengths by a horse he made ground against..against a pace bias at Epsom..isn't bombing out?

he ran lbs below his best in the Irish Derby..then moves stables...and actually runs better than the Irish run..but its the trainer?

Ah, sorry, was thinking of Golden Sword who came second in the Irish Derby. Okay, he was beaten 16 Lengths in the Irish Derby, so not a great run, but how on earth do you work out he ran better next time at Goodwood?

well..it wasn't was bad enough to say the trainer made the difference :p

something has gone wrong with it you know...was one of my horses to follow as well:(

Comparing the Eclipse and Irish Derby form is instructive - Eclipse two G1 winners and I see the sixth wins the G3 at Haydock

The Irish Derby - Masterofthehorse evidently was already on his very steep decline and Golden Sword blown away by Conduit et al in the KG .

EC makes a good point. When you look at the efforts of Masterofthehorse and Fame And Glory on their Derby run, there was a cigarette paper or 2 between them. Yet in the Irish Derby, one starts 4/7, the other 9/2. Someone had seen something that suggested that for whatever reason Masterofthehorse had regressed.

EC makes a good point. When you look at the efforts of Masterofthehorse and Fame And Glory on their Derby run, there was a cigarette paper or 2 between them. Yet in the Irish Derby, one starts 4/7, the other 9/2. Someone had seen something that suggested that for whatever reason Masterofthehorse had regressed.

Masterofthehorse simply is not as good as the Derby form makes him out to be....same for Golden Sword etc. Sea The Stars, Rip Van Winkle and Fame And Glory are in a different league to that lot.....that is what happens when we have slowly run races (although it probably did leave to RVW getting so close over that trip)!!!!! Masterofthehorse was stuffed by Golden Sword when that one went a decent gallop at Chester, and GS stuffed him again at The Curragh when yes there was a decent gallop.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is desperate reasoning .Golden Sword was said to have thrived on the fast gallop yet when he met an all aged field he was shredded . Masterofthehorse has gone into a terrible decline . Fame and Glory is no doubt much better than them but the Irish Derby was an egg and spoon race and told us little - the Eclipse self evidently was a belter .

The Chester run and the Epsom run both suggest that Masterofthehorse is a 115+ horse (or was). He hasn't been close to that in 2 runs since.

Sorry but that is desperate reasoning .Golden Sword was said to have thrived on the fast gallop yet when he met an all aged field he was shredded . Masterofthehorse has gone into a terrible decline . Fame and Glory is no doubt much better than them but the Irish Derby was an egg and spoon race and told us little - the Eclipse self evidently was a belter .

Golden Sword ran a stinker at Ascot full stop.....but it is hardly surprising given his exertions already in the season. I do not think how the race was run at Ascot affected his position in the race....not in the least. He is at his best when (fresh enough) letting loose on a good strong pace.

I do not see why the Irish Derby was an egg and spoon race. It clearly showed us Fame And Glory is much the best of those that finished behind Sea The Stars at Epsom and that Golden Sword and Masterofthehorse were flattered to get so close to him at Epsom.

Maybe Masterofthehorse has gone back a bit, but I think he was flattered to be rated so high in the first place and the drop looks somewhat exagerated.

....the Irish Derby was an egg and spoon race and told us little - the Eclipse self evidently was a belter .
The Derby was the egg and spoon race, despite having a stellar cast; the Irish Derby lacked superstars aside from the winner, but it told us plenty about the merits of the combatants, given how strongly run it was. There's rarely a hiding place at the Curragh.

Back