Masterofthehorse sold and joins Debbie Mountain !

It was run in softish ground too - it told us F & G was a much better horse at the end of June than GS and Masterofthehorse - judging by their subsequent form that counts for little.

It was run in softish ground too - it told us F & G was a much better horse at the end of June than GS and Masterofthehorse - judging by their subsequent form that counts for little.

Fame And Glory beat GS by an easy 5 lengths - Conduit GS 8 lengths under an all out drive. Golden Sword probably did not even run up to his best level at Ascot given the first half of the season he had endured.

Fame And Glory beat Masterofthehorse by an easy 16 lengths....Masterofthehorse was beaten 6 lengths at Goodwood in a Group 3 race.

Last edited:
She only had him 2 weeks she could not have done too much wrong with him i dont think he coped with the ground in the irish derby

Fame And Glory beat GS by an easy 5 lengths - Conduit GS 8 lengths under an all out drive. Golden Sword probably did not even run up to his best level at Ascot given the first half of the season he had endured.

Fame And Glory beat Masterofthehorse by an easy 16 lengths....Masterofthehorse was beaten 6 lengths at Goodwood in a Group 3 race.

I suspect GS 's Ascot run is as good as he is , furthermore STS thrashed Conduit under nothing like an all out drive .

I can see why some people believe that F & G was robbed of the Derby by a slow pace and like to think he is better than STS - the form however is all suggesting otherwise .

Trains in Newmarket, she has a partner from the east I believe. Kieran Fallon actually rides out a lot of her horses. She has an okay 2yo in Kahail who could run well in the first at Wolves today, but generally her stock is very limited.

I can see why some people believe that F & G was robbed of the Derby by a slow pace and like to think he is better than STS - the form however is all suggesting otherwise .

But we are not arguing about the relative merits of Fame And Glory and STS...but I see it is clearly clouding your judgement on the matter.

I think Masterofthehorse, Rip Van Winkle and Golden Sword (has been proved since for GS) was flattered to get so close to Sea The Stars and Fame And Glory over 12 furlongs. Simple as.

Last edited:
But we are not arguing about the relative merits of Fame And Glory and STS...but I see it is clearly clouding your judgement on the matter.

I think Masterofthehorse, Rip Van Winkle and Golden Sword (has been proved since for GS) was flattered to get so close to Sea The Stars and Fame And Glory over 12 furlongs. Simple as.

I do disagree with that tbh, RVW and Masterofthehorse were running against a pace bias in the Derby, it was hard to close into those fast late fractions..but both did so..MOTH's run was more meritous than RVW's as well.....only good horses can do that against horses like F&G and STS....RVW has shown the merit of being able to do it..he was a lot better than the run suggested....unfortunately MOTH can't show his best now..for some reason.

does anyone think that GS is a non stayer?..the way he dropped back in the KG heavily points to that seeing as he had no reason to stop there bar for lack of stamina

I do disagree with that tbh, RVW and Masterofthehorse were running against a pace bias in the Derby, it was hard to close into those fast late fractions..but both did so..MOTH's run was more meritous than RVW's as well.....only good horses can do that against horses like F&G and STS....RVW has shown the merit of being able to do it..he was a lot better than the run suggested....unfortunately MOTH can't show his best now..for some reason.

does anyone think that GS is a non stayer?..the way he dropped back in the KG heavily points to that seeing as he had no reason to stop there bar for lack of stamina

If RVW ran in the Irish Derby or the King George I do not think he would have been placed. I take on board your comment about him running against a pace bias at Epsom but equally if it was a strongly run race over 12 furlongs he would not have got home. His best chance of winning at Epsom was to use his miling speed....granted a proper test he would not have had the chance to finish like he did.

not saying he would have won irish derby...just saying that for horses to run so well in the derby against that pace bias..they are decent animals..RVW at shorter..MOTH at 12f or further..his run in Ireland was extremely poor compared to his english derby run..where he was better than F&G's due to him closing against F&G in unfavourable circumstances

Last edited:
In both the Chester Vase and the Derby there was very little between Golden Sword and Masterofthehorse, while at the Curragh there was 15 lengths. Even allowing for the slow early pace at Epsom compared to the true gallop in the Irish Derby, it would seem that either Golden Sword had improved, or that Masterofthehorse had regressed. Their subsequent races ( Ascot and Goodwood ) would indicate that it was mostly the latter, even if Golden Sword ran below his best in the King George.

tbh

anyone thinking MOTH hasn't deteriorated since the Derby is going to struggle in this game..where you have to spot the slighest shift in form re many factors..this one looks so clear cut its totally obvious

EC makes a good point. When you look at the efforts of Masterofthehorse and Fame And Glory on their Derby run, there was a cigarette paper or 2 between them. Yet in the Irish Derby, one starts 4/7, the other 9/2. Someone had seen something that suggested that for whatever reason Masterofthehorse had regressed.

True... Having said that if they were trying to lose on Fame And Glory they wouldn't have ridden him much differently. There has never been much doubt that Fame And Glory is much superior to Masterofthehorse.

I might get some serious stick but who is she, debbie mountain? *blush*

She trains in Newmarket and was married to Kamil Mahdi - and assistant to him I believe - at the time that he was warned off for horse cruelty. At around this time she divorced him and pretty much cut all ties so far as I know.

True... Having said that if they were trying to lose on Fame And Glory they wouldn't have ridden him much differently. There has never been much doubt that Fame And Glory is much superior to Masterofthehorse.

MOTH was only 0.5l behind STS as a 2yo and only 2 lengths behind him in the Derby when pace biased

was F&G massively superior to a sound MOTH?

Fame and Glory ran the Irish Derby in a time six seconds faster than STS ran at Epsom, under a hands and heels finish and when the ground was good to yielding vs good at Epsom, and the Curragh trip is widely considered to be stiffer. The Irish Derby was run in a time more than a second faster than standard, the Epsom Derby was run in a time more than a second slower than standard. The first five furlongs of the Epsom Derby was run in a time 5.5 seconds slower than Sinndar's Derby which was completed in the same time. This means they made up 4.5 secs in the remaining 7 furlongs, confirming that it was run more like a mile race. It's difficult to see how a true stayer like F&G could have run to his full potential at Epsom, he did very well to finish less than 2 lengths behind STS, the same distance that was between them when STS first made his move. Conversely, STS had the race (inadvertently) set up for him, afterall, it very nearly worked out for RVW who is no stayer.

Using 2 year old formlines around Sea the Stars on unsuitable ground won't prove either side of the argument, imo.

MOTH was only 0.5l behind STS as a 2yo and only 2 lengths behind him in the Derby when pace biased

was F&G massively superior to a sound MOTH?

If Fame had been ridden correctly in the Derby, superior yes (and superior even in the event). I wouldn't say massively superior, but decisively so.

Back