Matron Stakes

RV has run in four Group 1 1m races this year - all on ground similar to when she put up her best performance as a juvenile (the Fillies Mile), she's been beaten 3 lengths, 4 1/4 lengths and finally 1 1/4 lengths. IMO she's never looked like winning any of those races - the closest she's come is when a vastly superior horse was given one or two smacks and won pretty much under a hand ride thereafter.

Again has had two runs this year, once on ground about as suitable as it can get for her and once on totally unsuitable ground - she won one and was beaten as Steve points out in the Coronation Stakes on ground she hated. Her best form is on the likely prevailing soft ground this weekend and given she's a Classic winner and a Group 1 winning filly this season she has the better form in the book.

Good call Steve...a very nice performance and took her opportunity well

Not in Sea The Stars class of course. But they got the Group 1 they promised on the kind going on which she thrives. She is too good not to have won something decent this term.

Interesting to see whether this was just her day or whether Gosden is right and she is only really coming to herself like Ryafan did .

They've been saying for a couple of weeks now that she has been flourishing and that she was too well to miss her chance today. Not the greatest Group 1 I'd agree, but a good winner.

They've been saying for a couple of weeks now that she has been flourishing and that she was too well to miss her chance today. Not the greatest Group 1 I'd agree, but a good winner.

Sun Chariot or Opera next ?

I was about to say, where are they off to next?

Opera and BC don't seem impossible tasks were they to go for both. Can't see the Opera being much of a race this year and she'd have a favourites chance you'd have to think.

They won't have the balls for the QE2 and Champion as she'll just get hammered I would think.

Ghanaati is probably going for the Sun Chariot (possibly QE2 or Champion) and it's in their interests to avoid her at all costs I would think.

Yes she goes there - Unless Ghanaati is back and on form the Sun Chariot is surely a better bet for RV .

I think it is probably the case that RV has only just really come to herself this season. Like some other fillies in the past she may not have appreciated being rushed for the Guineas, and that had a knock on effect. Also she is very small, esp compared with the likes of Ghanaati - I have to say I wasn't expecting her to win a G1 this year as I said on here in May. Well done to connections. I would have backed the runner up e/w if I'd been backing today.

Incidentally, I have been a bit fed up this summer by top trainers saying - some weeks or months into the season - that such and such a horse was way behind and had no chance in the Guineas or whichever early season race was under discussion. AOB speaking of MCM in July was a case in point - I just wish they had been so frank at the time! And yes, I did back MCM for the Guineas, and I read all the press; and AOB gave no strong hint at the time that his horse was nowhere near ready. But he hasn't been the only offender. Gosden too was very bullish about RV in May...

Great to see her back to her old best - soft ground certainly the key today IMO. Hope you were on large Steve :)

Think they'd be daft going for the BC (at least the Mile or FM Turf) since the chances of soft ground in California are bordering on nil. The Distaff would be a nice alternative, with Zenyatta likely to head to the Classic there's no real stand out 3yo filly (with Rachel missing the big one) and the 4yos look an average group.

Well done Steve.

I would agree it was the first time this year she looked to have her old zip back. She showed a very nice turn of foot to take it up, and I'd fancy her to turn the Nassau form around with Midday.

Back