MATSURI

barjon

Conditional
I’m really looking forward to the re-appearance of Matsuri tomorrow in the 3:05 at Leicester. He cost 700,000 guineas as a yearling and has only contested two quite strong novice 2yo events - one on heavy ground at Salisbury where came second, followed by an odds-on AW win at Kempton after interference at just the wrong time. That was a race where the bigger guns tend to try out their good ones.

For tomorrow he should have the beating of them unless something jumps out of the woodwork, which is always a possibility. He is 11/10 at the moment and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start odds-on. It doesn’t matter, though, since I won’t be backing him, but watching for a bit of the class he should have as a Sea The Stars colt.

Last edited:
I’m really looking forward to the re-appearance of Matsuri tomorrow in the 3:05 at Leicester. He cost 700,000 guineas as a yearling and has only contested two quite strong novice 2yo events - one on heavy ground at Salisbury where came second, followed by an odds-on AW win at Kempton after interference at just the wrong time. That was a race where the bigger guns tend to try out their good ones.

For tomorrow he should have the beating of them unless something jumps out of the woodwork, which is always a possibility. He is 11/10 at the moment and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start odds-on. It doesn’t matter, though, since I won’t be backing him, but watching for a bit of the class he should have as a Sea The Stars colt.
Intriguing,BJ - n/r in Sandown's classic trial and holds an Irish Derby entry.
Should blow these away,but not at a rewarding price.

Thank you for this - I shall watch the race with extra interest now.

That was quite nice wasn’t it?

Took keen hold, raced wide early, in touch with leaders, raced in second after 3f, going easily 2f out, nudged along to lead over 1f out, went well clear inside final furlong, easily (op 4/5)RP

Last edited:
And the RP analysis:

MATSURI had been off since winning at Kempton in November and was hooded ahead of this step up to 1m2f. Kept wide early, he settled relatively well and impressed with the way he lengthened clear. He holds entries in the King Edward VII Stakes and the Irish Derby in which he would need to prove his stamina for 1m4f.”

Deeply impressed!
My take: Sandown,Leicester - both stiff galloping tracks,but swerves Epsom
All roads lead to the Curragh,imo
Have taken Unibet's 10/1 - nothing else on oddschecker at the mo.

Strange goings on at Oddschecker.
Unibet still the only one pricing the race,and he's now 8/1. ?
:rolleyes::)

Must say I think 10/1 and 8/1 is plenty short enough for a Leicester Novice Stakes winner who beat - well, what? You tell me.

It's a bit of a leap from galloping past trees at the Oadby venue to a Group 1 at The Curragh.

Nice prospect, though.

And the RP analysis:

MATSURI had been off since winning at Kempton in November and was hooded ahead of this step up to 1m2f. Kept wide early, he settled relatively well and impressed with the way he lengthened clear. He holds entries in the King Edward VII Stakes and the Irish Derby in which he would need to prove his stamina for 1m4f.”
Will stay 12f all day long.

He needs stays 1m4f rather more quickly than all day long - more like in two and a half minutes - if he is to win the Irish Derby.

Sorry, I'll fetch me coat.

I have noticed that Unibet often price up races other firms decline to.

Consequently Unibet are able to bet to really high margins due to the lack of competition.

He's a lovely colt, and he's bolted in, but the race was a Maiden in all but name and you'd probably expect the winner of any Classic Trial this spring to beat that lot just as, if not more, easily.

Your opinon,Ian. Mine is - he missed his classic trial owing to the cough.
However, Roger Varian probably knows exactly what he's got,and ran him in the most suitable alternative.
Btw,I'm quite happy with the 10/1 ap and, given a fair wind, will take anything better.

Absolutely just my opinion, that's a given.

I will be surprised if we don't see bigger when other firms price up - we shall find out!

Last edited:
I was looking for his well-being as well as a bit of class and that’s what I got pretty convincingly. I shouldn’t think he was wound up anything like tight for the race and Varian has enough in his yard to gauge where he should go. If he fulfils the entry he’ll have a decent chance, I reckon.

“The three-year-old son of Sea The Stars had a promising juvenile season, coming second on debut and going one better at Kempton on his only other juvenile start. And he certainly caught the eye again on seasonal reappearance today at Leicester, demolishing the field under James Doyle.

Roger said "We are very pleased with that, he is a nice horse and we have always rated him. His two runs last year were very good. It has been frustrating this spring, we just couldn't get him ready in time for a Derby trial which is what we wanted to do from the outset, but we have had to be patient and he has won nicely today, and hopefully that will set him up for a good year."

Congratulations to HH Sheikh Mohammed Obaid Al Maktoum.”

Back