Mccoy Frustrated.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Another copy and paste from the Racing Post site :

McCoy crowned champion but labels season ‘frustrating'

Chanelle McCoy, with baby Eve, receives the champion jump jockey's trophy on behalf of husband Tony from Frankie Dettori at Sandown on Saturday

by Tony O'Hehir and Paul Eacott

DESPITE being the first jockey since Fred Archer more than 100 years ago to be crowned champion for a 13th consecutive season, Tony McCoy was on Saturday keen to put the campaign behind him.

An injury-hit season meant that McCoy's tally of 140 wins was his lowest since he was a conditional in 1994-95 and, with no wins in the championship races at the Cheltenham Festival and a first Grand National success still elusive, McCoy, who was at Punchestown on Saturday – his wife Chanelle and young daughter Eve collected his prize at Sandown – was far from celebrating.

The perennial champion jockey, who will head to Ludlow today to start the defence of his title, said: “Even apart from my back injury it has been a frustrating season. It's always nice to be champion, but it definitely wasn't my best year.”

McCoy's wife spoke of her astonishment at her husband's mental strength to return from breaking two vertebrae in a fall in January in time to make the Cheltenham Festival.

“He did superbly to come back from the back injury,” she said. “I think Eve kept him goingand kept his spirits alive. The treatment he had was extreme and it was unbelievable to see someone with such mental strength.
“When he was told by the doctor he wasn't going to be able to ride at Cheltenham, he just didn't accept it. He's also grateful to be able to count on the help of people like Mr JP McManus, Jonjo O'Neill and Charles Egerton.”

McCoy is the first jockey to be champion 13 consecutive times in Britain since Fred Archer (1874-86).

While David Johnson won his sixth owners' title, regaining the crown from McManus, Kauto Star and Clive Smith kept hold of the £200,000 Order of Merit for the season's top points-scorer in that competition.

“It has certainly been another great year and I was as proud of him for finishing second in the Gold Cup this year as I was of him winning last year,” reflected Smith.

“The ground wasn't quite to his liking and he performed admirably.

“The race at Aintree might have come a bit soon after, but he still ran well and we look forward to having him back next season.”

Paul Nicholls picked up the trainer's trophy for the third time on the day he broke the £4 million prize-money barrier for the season in Britain and Ireland, while top conditional jockey Brian Hughes, who has won39 races this season, collected his prize at Market Rasen from Kevin Darley.

I met AP for the first time today. I went to represent Cape Greko at Huntingdon this evening and was pleased as it was the first time Cape was going over the fences, and I got to meet AP! AP was relaxed, he was funny, and he won, so for me - he is now in my top 5 NH jockeys. Mick Fitz remains safely at the top :P . As Brendan pointed out, I bet AP doesn't disco dance as well as Fitzy does!

A great evening as I have never been to Huntingdon before and it was a great first visit for so many reasons. :clap:

I think I even have a photo of AP smiling. :what:

CAPEGREKOWINSATHUNTINGDON1STMAY2008.jpg

Brendan nodded off, and at least AP humoured me by smiling for the photo for Brendan's website.

Kathy, considering Cape Greko was totally slammed into in the ring, I presume you filled your boots????

We've been lucky enough to have AP ride for us and I must say he is a nice guy with plenty of time to chat about tactics etc etc.

Originally posted by numbersix@May 2 2008, 12:28 PM
Kathy, considering Cape Greko was totally slammed into in the ring, I presume you filled your boots????
If you call a £20 win, then yes, I filled my boots! :brows: The one horse that Brendan was worried about Heathcote, sadly fell. Hence why I didn't go mad - but then I rarely do!

We've used Ruby too and while I think he is a very good jock and would use him again, he is not a good communicator and one or two found him a little rude....particularly given the horse he was riding!! but maybe he was just in the zone!!

It didn't bother me as much as others but you kind of summed up our experience with him in "rude" and "a bad communicator" . What bugs me about him recently is the sarky way he has treated people trying to interview him.The questions they are asking may well be silly but hell, he's earning a good living and as a top jock he is an ambassador for the game. Just tell them what they want to hear and smile it won't kill you.

Apparently he has let it be known that it drives him nuts when people start shouting Ruby,Ruby,Ruby at him......that guarantees that people will do it for the next ten years.

Well there is only one "the greatest" jockey out thre!! So have to move down the superlatives and very good was the next one free. I just didnt want to say he was crap as I knew it would stir debate!!

Back