Michael Finnegan

Cantoris

At the Start
Well done to Michael Finnegan on holding on, literally, in the Roscommon bumper. I appreciate he owns the horse but this went a little far. He made Barry Connell look like Frankie Dettori. I think Barry is the type of rider that owner/riders should aim for. Competent and can ride some sort of a finish. This lad was struggling to stay on in the last furlong. It was funny watching but does beg the question how he got his amateur license.

He has the weirdest riding style I've ever seen. He basically stands in the stirrups like Ruby does sometimes when a race is over, except his stirrups are long enough to allow him some grip with his knees. Coming up the straight the first time I thought he was getting ready to pull his horse up. The little wave of the whip crossing the line was the most he could have managed without falling off.

Fair play, though, there was a lot of trouble in behind and up front was the place to be.

Does he have whiskers on his chinnegan?

Most definitely - I am sorry to say I laughed out loud for the entire race!! I received 4 calls during it to make sure I was watching.

Fair play to him though, that takes balls.

Grey - will you please please ride Raise The Beat in his first maiden hurdle???

What went a little far? He won the race unless I'm mistaken.

How is the question?? Even Ron Treloggan looked more stylish!! My concern is that he looked like he could have fallen off a few times. David Duggan was lost for words and thought his saddle slipped. It's tough enough getting to ride in the charity race at Punchestown, yet some of those lads would put him to shame. Maybe one that got through the cracks......although he did WIN!!

Last edited:
Most definitely - I am sorry to say I laughed out loud for the entire race!! I received 4 calls during it to make sure I was watching.

Fair play to him though, that takes balls.

Grey - will you please please ride Raise The Beat in his first maiden hurdle???

That was supposed to be a secret :blink:

My tenant has no interest in racing but I told him to have a look at this. He said to me "is he gonna fall off?".

I work with a "Michael Finnegan" (dublin born) and this thread made me laugh - "my" MF is about 16 stone and probably couldnt even get up on a horse let alone ride a finish!

Can anyone post a link to the video if there is one?!

(And I still want to sing the rhyme every time someone asks me for his name!)

At least he had the sense to just hold on and pray rather than unbalancing the horse by trying to ride a finish (It looked a bit like he might begin again). He actually rode quite a sensible race. He didn't manage to quite steer the horse in the right direction at the first bend which gave him a favourable outside line. He purposely seemed to stick with this route thereafter, maybe it was the winning of the race. That's not to say I'd ever consider backing a horse he was riding...

Last edited:
You'll get it on the ATR website once you sign up. I've seen the rider/owner in action before and got the tip for him but could not back him as I knew he was riding. He does well to sit on a stool in the bookies never mind a horse! Other notable rides include any of the ones on Soaked Right Thru. Worth watching!

Last edited:
Excellent! He's no flapper, Mikey Finnegan.
Trusted his horse & the horse delivered.

Just look at all those others: nodding heads, flapping arms as he & his horse carry forward, serene as you like.

He'd best stick to the flat races where his style can be seen to best effect!

Lovely! Really enjoyed this! :)

Last edited:
That's just right.
Email HRC, he's bound to want him as a reserve for that special race ...
have you thought of being MF's agent, btw?

Back