Mick Channon

It's going to take Mick quite a long time to recover from this (physically)he took quite a pounding .Thankfully his son was n't too badly injured. Commiserations Chris, an awful shock.

I think it may take the son longer to recover, in the psychological sense, than it will take MC to recover physically. Watching something like that unfold, esp thinking your Dad is going to be / has been killed, and being helpless to do anything, is the stuff of nightmares.

I've been led to believe that both Channons were probably asleep at the time of impact in which case they both will have been spared the agonies of watching it all unfold.

Tim Corby memorial service
Racing Post staff
Fyi....
The Newmarket memorial service for Tim Corby is to take place at a date tobe announced and not on Thursday as stated in today's Racing Post.
We apologise for this mistake.

Courtesy of The Daily Mail

Mick Channon: I'm very lucky to be alive, after this you see things differently

EXCLUSIVE by NEIL MORRICE

Last updated at 12:39 AM on 11th September 2008
  • Mick Channon last night spoke for the first time about the car crash that left him with serious injuries and claimed the life of his close friend, bloodstock agent Tim Corby.
Channon, the former international football star who swapped sports to become a top racehorse trainer, broke his arm, ribs, and suffered a punctured lung and a broken jaw when the car Corby was driving hit the central reservation of the M1 in Leicestershire a fortnight ago, as they travelled back from the Doncaster sales.

Corby, whose funeral is today, was pronounced dead at the scene and Channon’s youngest son, Jack, also suffered minor injuries.

article-0-0271C9C200000578-63_468x497.jpg

On the mend: Channon before accident
‘Nobody will ever know what happened,’ said Channon, 59. ‘After something like this you see things differently than before. We’ve tragically lost poor Tim, and Jack and I are very, very lucky to be alive.’

Channon, the ex-Southampton and England striker who is among the 10 top trainers in Britain this season with almost £1million in prize-money, was released from hospital a week ago. He is recuperating at his West Ilsley stables in Berkshire and, considering the extent of his injuries, he looks in good shape.

His jaw has been successfully plated and he is gradually getting used to talking again, while his left leg has been pinned and will remain in plaster for another five weeks.

‘It is not easy to talk, but I am trying my best and improving all the time. I regularly speak to my senior assistant trainer, Joe Tuite, while my wife, Jill, and elder son, Michael, have been with me constantly over the past fortnight.

‘At the doctor’s insistence, I’ve been able to walk a little more each day and have made it over to the office this week, only for short visits. I feel a bit pottery, but it’s great to be back.’

The former Southampton striker has 170 horses in his care and employs 80 staff. In his absence, they have ensured it has been business as usual for one of the most successful stables in the country.

Channon is unable to attend the funeral in Northamptonshire of 63-year-old Corby, but he paid tribute to the friend who was his righthand man as well as the agent who bought well-known winners for the yard.

‘What can you say about Tim? He was just a big kid, ever since I met him 35 or 40 years ago when he was riding and selling boots to stable lads, making his way in a game that he was so passionate about.

‘Those were the days when he was great mates with former trainers Mick Ryan and William Huntingdon, when we were all young, keen racegoers.

‘He was simply enthusiastic for horses and enthusiastic for life. He’d always worked hard and, through managing the horses owned by John Guest and the successful Box 41 syndicate, he’d got there. His owners were mates for whom, more often than not, he had nicknames.

‘There was so much more to come. Every day he woke up he was looking for the next Innit, Checkit, Katchit or Missit. He made ownership fun.

‘It’s just so very sad and my thoughts are with his daughter, Adriana, and partner Sheila.’

Very glad to hear MC is on the mend
My understanding is that young Jack was wide awake during the crash and is still immensely shaken, poor kid. It's the funeral today - thoughts with them all

Back