Middle Park

Aragorn

At the Start
Its probably a result of the revised fixture list that there hasn't been a thread for this race so I thought I would start one.

As O'Brien took out Nephrite i've had to reconsider my view. After re-looking at the race there are two horses which, at the prices, represent good value to me.

Bapak Chinta is available at 11/2 which I think is a point to half a point too big. The horse has excellent form credentials and Kevin Ryan knows what it takes to win a Middle Park having trained Amadeus Wolf to victory. The only negative is the absence but he wouldn't be running if he wasn't ready.

Caspar Netscher is the other. He's on the improve and his last three runs have all been top quality. He only has a few lbs improvement to find to hit the level usually required to win this. At 11/2 as well I think he's decent value also.

You can get 9/4 dutching the pair which I think is decent value against this field.

I respect the French horse but if there isn't one better i'd be disappointed. Lilbourne Lad and Tough as Nails have the form in the book but i'm not sure there is any more improvement in them.

Lousy race for a Groop One looks like a G2 at best . A disastrous idea to move it to the same day as the Dewhurst.

A disastrous idea to move it to the same day as the Dewhurst.

I think that's right. The Dewhurst should be next weekend, that meeting suffers from the lack of a juvenile race, and the Middle Park should have been two weeks ago.

Your idea of making the Cesarewitch into a British version of the Melbourne Cup is also interesting. Take the big prize fund from next week's stayers race and put it in the Cesarewitch pot instead.

The Dewhurst could also get a big rise in value, to become the race where the National Stakes, Middle Park and Lagardere winners turn up as a matter of course.

Power and had the Middle Park been run two weeks ago probably Harbour Watch .

I think Family One should surely be clear favourite on form .

Which horse is contesting the Dewhurst that would make the Middle Park a decent race?

It will also be relevant to ask whether any horse running in the Middle Park might have been an addition to the Dewhurst field if given the chance to run in both.

Saigon possibly, but he'd be no more than a 16's shot at best in the Dewhurst. Folks may have a point about running the Dewhurst and Middle Park on same day in theory. But in practice, I don't see it.

Something might emerge from the Middle Park in the next minute or two that would have been a Dewhurst contender.

Bapak Chinta ran a shocker. Not sure what happened there.

Not sure what Winston was doing on Caspar Netscher either. Gave him to much to do.

Bapak Chinta ran a shocker. Not sure what happened there.

Not sure what Winston was doing on Caspar Netscher either. Gave him to much to do.

Did he ? Just looked run off his feet to me . Lilbourne Lad and Reply etc are admirable animals but that was a Group 2 in all but name.

Last edited:
Lilbourne Lad is a fair marker to rate the race through but it looked to me like Heffernan nicked it down into the dip. Crusade and Daddy Long Legs off to Kentucky now surely.

Back