Mission Affirmed

zebs

At the Start
Friend of mine has just rescued him , does anyone remember him? ..he was born in USA in 2001, and ran 20 times on AW , winning 3 ..second 3 times..thrd 4 times..and 10 starts on Flat turf coming third once...

According to the RP, he hasn't been sold at public auction since he was a yearling.

The last known registered owners were "Tom Tuohy And Killoran Civil Engineering".

Im going to see him later today , as far as i know she has got him off the owner and hes not in to good shape.... :(
Will update later when i know more

I went to see Mission Affirmed today , and with the recent article published i think it is quite relevant what im going to tell you reference Ex Racehorses.....

Mission was taken out of Racing by his owner/trainer because he was refusing to go into the stalls on race day, reason ...he fell over in the horse box on his way to a race, he was trapped under the partition and sustained an injury ...once recovered he didnt like going into a horsebox and wouldnt go into stalls....

Owner then took him back to his yard here on the Wirral and turned him out in a field .....

Friend took her other rescue pony and was a livery on said owners yard....was told that he had an ex racehorse and she should go and see him....result of that visit was a Fully clipped horse No rug on ...Full of rain scald ..severe conjuntivitis in both eyes and very very thin...
She asked the owner if she could have him , at first he said yes then he wanted £1000 for him..she paid him the money and went to get him out of the field...

He was so weak it took her nearly 2 hours to get him out of the field and home...
She phoned her vet who advised her to have him put to sleep he was in such a state...

Today 6mths later and a lot of vet bills .... he has put some weight on , and is starting to trust again....

The owner has another racehorse in training at the moment Graze On ....will be very interesting to see what happens to that horse once racing days are over....

I would like to add that the trainer of Mission Affirmed is as far as i know not aware of these circumstanes concerning the horse once the owner took him .....

I have taken some pics and i will post them when downloaded....

Which just goes to show that TBs cannot just be chucked out in a field and left to rot, no matter that so many insist that all horses 'love' being out at grass and can survive perfectly well.

There are of course TBs that can live out and do well, but so many just cannot. TBs are not naturally good doers so often need extra when turned out - be that extra food, rugs or bringing in at night. So many of them cannot winter out well at all.

It seems from his RP Mission hadn't long been in that yard when all this occoured. He'd been with Ron Harris previously

It must have been tempting to call the RSPCA out, but I can see why your friend's priority was to get the horse to safety. It does bother me though that people like that can get away with it and go on owning horses, even if it's just ignorance which leads to that kind of neglect...

it can't be said often enough, that Retraining of Racehorses will always give advice and, where possible help in such cases:

http://www.ror.org.uk/

I remember Mission Affirmed very well - a decent animal around Southwell in his prime - in fact I think I remember backing him in his first start at that track where he showed distinct promise for Tom Tate. Shame he is in this state now - best of luck to zebs friend in getting him back in shape.

Surely it wasn't beyond the wit or wealth of his previous owners to bring in a 'whisperer' to sort out the horse's difficulty with stalls?

That's a rotten story. The horse deserves better.

Zebs, that's a horrendous story. Thank goodness for people like your friend. People just sometimes don't realise the difference between TB's and warmbloods even if they are full of good intentions at the time.

Let's hope he can ne nursed back to full health and well done your friend for no doubt saving this racehorses life.

well, here we go. as soon as a name is attached to the story, people start caring, but when some "trashy" journalist raises the point, its not debateable anymore. The fact is there ARE far too many "Mission Affirmed", in Germany, England, Ireland everywhere, and far too less who can "safe" them. Its a shame, and so many who could afford to retire them proper chose not to care once the racing days are over.

best of luck to your friend, zebs. keep us updated.

PS: must have been lucky so far. all the ex-racers we had "at home" did love to be turned out.... :)

Terrible story, and with the ever rising amount of racehorses this is sadly not an uncommon fate for some of them either.

Thank goodnes your friend found him and had the money and heart to save him. I'm sure he will trust again and replay her with his friendship.

A few years ago now this is the state John Ferneley was found in, in the US, and rescued by ReRun. He was in fact even worse as he was literally waiting for the knacker man to come as she led him to safety. Funny thing - she had to pay for him too!

Crazyhorse, the issue of former racehorses being found in all sorts of states wasn't even questioned when discussing the trash written in the Mail - it was the many other fallacies and half truths that were mentioned!

On many an occasion I have spoken out about the fate of racehorses after they have finished their career - I firmly believe that the people who take them on should be highly experienced with horses otherwise it is things like this that happen. You get novices taking them on who chuck them in a field for whatever reason - they find them too tricky to ride and/or handle, or it is simple ignorance that makes them think that TBs can just be chucked in a field and survive all weathers with no extra sustenance. A lot of them cannot.

It is a sad fact that although some TBs are more than capable of wintering out, many, many others simply cannot. TBs do not tend to be naturally not good doers and most need more than they can get simply out at grass, in winter and/or bad weather at least. A lot of them struggle to keep any weight on so drop condition alarmingly. TBs also have a propensity towards developing mud fever and rain scald in wet conditions when simply left out.

Which is why many neglect cases are found abandoned in fields looking like hatracks, covered in mud fever and/or rain scald.

If the horses are monitored carefully and looked after then this needn't happen - in many cases it is advisable to bring the horses in at night in the winter. I'd hazard a guess that you haven't in fact been "lucky" with your horses - you've looked after them properly, fed them up properly, put rugs on them if need be or brought them in if need be. That, as you know, isn't hard, but as can be seen by the far too large numbers of horses found in horrendous states, it seems to be far too difficult to comprehend for many.

Ive passed on your comments to Anita who sends a big thank you , Mission still has a long road of recovery to make , but Anita is determined to do what she can to get him right.....

Here is Mission Affirmed when fit & healthy during his Racing days.....

horse1.jpg

These next 2 pics are of him when she got him home....first one of the severe eye infection , the same was in his other eye ....the other one is how thin he was , his hip joints , ribs, & shoulder bones were very promanent ...pic dosent really show the severity .....

horse2.jpg

horse5.jpg

The next 2 pics are the ones i took couple days ago....His eyes are brighter , he hasnt had a bout of colic for a while , he is eating well and generally enjoying the company of people and other horses... his hips & shoulder bones are no longer as prominent , he is still ribby but not as much .....his bad crib-biting isnt helping !..

PICT0014.jpg

mission1.jpg

Yes Arkwright i noticed that last nite on the RP website, perhaps after what has happened to Mission Affirmed that may have been the kindest thing to happen , horrible as that may seem , this guy left Mission Affirmed in a field and forgot about him ......Vet told Anita that had she not got the horse when she did , he most certainly would have died in a couple months....

Anita has moved yards now & is only down the lane from me so i will be keeping a check of how he is coming on and will update periodically .... :D

NO doubt the cribbing is stress related Zebs as you probably already know . He already has a small twinkle is his eye - and I have a feeling with the help of Anita and the vets, he is soon going to be in a happier place again! Well done Zebs for supporting Anita, and showing the photos! Please keep us updated of his progress!

At risk of being shouted at, I'd like to point out in the interests of accuracy that cribbing is not something which a horse resorts to when under stress.

Crib biting is a behavioural vice that once picked up is very difficult to eradicate. Whilst it can be true that a horse may crib more when stressed out it does not tend to develop the habit of cribbing from nowhere in relation to stress. It is something that they pick up usually when young as a behavioural tendency and is generally not something they will just stop doing, or indeed just start doing for a short period of time in response to a period of distress.

Also SL, I forgot to mention after our convo about the myths of cribbing. I seem to remember some research that was done, connects the feeding of racehorses (high quantities of hard feed & little roughage), stomach ulcers and cribbing. I'll have a look see if i've still got notes from the conference we went too, have moved house 4 times since!!!! its interesting reading.

Ali .....if you could PM me with any help regarding this would be grateful ...Mission has had a few serious bouts of colic , not doubt due to any damage he has suffered and also him cribbing , another bout could be fatal....Any help gratefully welcome

Yep course I can, its gonna take some searching for but i'm sure its here somewhere!!! Colic was connected to the research, its probably online somewhere i'll have a look around if theres any links i will post them. Have they had a worm count done? colic could be due to worm damage?

Worm damage in a horse in his condition would be the most likely cause of his colics, I guess, poor chap.

Unless he's actually wind-sucking, cribbing wouldn't cause a colic in my experience (both Runny and Songy like to redesign their stable interiors.....).

Not sure I agree that cribbing can be an inherited condition, Ven - although maybe having an addicitive personality may be cause such horses to become cribbers etc. Certainly wind-suckers get an endorphin rush, as do weavers.
And keeping wind-suckers/cribbers in front of plenty of roughage/forage does help to reduce the intensity of the activity.

Good luck to MISSION AFFIRMED - I hope he makes a full recovery.

here is one website which defines and explains sterotypies in horses ]sterotypies its not really to do with racehorses but for those interested in recent studies which rubbishes old wives tales of "stable vices" , am still searching for racehorse studies have found one of them but it costs $13.50!!!!!

From http://www.ror.org.uk/faqs.htm#6, a little about what I am trying to find

It has previously been assumed that boredom was the main reason horses receiving very little fibre started to develop stereotypies, as they had long periods of time doing nothing. However, research is suggesting that in fact, some stereotypies are a response to increased acidity in the digestive tract. Therefore if a horse isn’t receiving much fibre he won’t be spending very long chewing and the gut may remain very acidic. The importance of fibre can never be under-estimated; feed more of it, and keep the volume of concentrates down, and the risk of digestive upsets occurring will, quite simply, be reduced.

Sorry....another one!!...... http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1370/34745.html

I know several trainers who swear by the horses always having hay in their box - David Arbo would go round last thing every night to make sure they had more than enough to last the night, and said he was sure this was why he hadn't had a horse with colic in over 20 years. Al does the same.

Crib biting doesn't seem to have any cause - some horses esp fillies just seem prone to it, and once they start it's damn hard to stop them!

Again, at risk of being shouted at/sounding boring, I would like to point out in the interests of accuracy that crib biting most certainly can and does cause a tendency to colic.

The reason being that the vast majority of crib biters are windsucking at the same time - it seems fairly obvious to me that this is more than likely the case with Mission Affirmed as Zebs has already mentioned that the crib biting isn't helping him where looking ribby is concerned. Crib biting in itself will not cause a horse to lose condition - it doesn't stop them eating - but when allayed with windsucking (which occurs in the majority of true crib biters, we are not talking about horses who eat stables, they are not necessarily true crib biters) the intake of air into the stomach whilst not necessarily curbing the appetite causes disruption to the digestive system which can result in the horse losing condition and becoming colicky. In actual fact many crib biters don't destroy stables at all as they are not "biting" or eating them as such, merely hanging on whilst they pull back against the surface they are hanging on to and suck in air.

HS, I too agree with horses having a constant supply of hay, in fact I would supply on demand unless they were exceptionally fat! Horses are grazers and their digestive system is used to constantly turning over food so produces high levels of stomach acids to constantly break down the food. Ergo when they go for long periods of time without eating anything the acid levels build up and the horse can either become colicky or start to develop stomach ulcers (the new "wind op" in my opinion!!! It seems to be becoming fashionable nowadays to label horses as "having stomach ulcers" as a reason for poor performances, until they are "treated" for them! IMO it's a problem that many horses have to some degree, whether or not they really affect the way they run to such a degree is probably debatable! Still, that's an aside) so I do think that a constant supply of hay can only help. (except in the hours before they run in a race and immediately before strnous work for obvious reasons!).

A horse's digestive system is fairly sensitive - it has to be remembered that even small things like allowing them to drink more than little bits of water at a time, spaced out, after a run can be enough to give them a dose of colic. So can a sudden change in diet, and so on.

Back