Monday 2nd April 2024

yorick

Conditional
It's early in the flat season but I thought I'd give it a go in one race today at Pontefract.

Wen Moon - 3.15 Pontefract - 0/30 Win.

This one won over the course first time out last season over 6f on soft ground. I think he's shown that he can handle 5f and will not be overly inconvenienced by today's heavy surface. He can race prominently, too, which seems to be an advantage on this course. Yes, it's early in the season and one can never tell about fitness but he'll do for me, I think, having had a good look at the form. I live in hope.

I'll have a go with one over the fences at Ludlow:

Kestrel Valley - 3.30 Ludlow - 7/2 Win

I was every tempted to do Georges Saint on his Wincanton running behind Dibble Decker, which represents Lounge Lizard form but that was over 2m 4f and it looks to me like KV may be the only one in the field who'll want this 3m and so I'm thinking that he may show the best value here.

2 x win singles
Win Double

At any rate, I shall continue to be wary of a fading jumps season and a developing flat campaign by keeping my stakes comparatively small and see how we go. Let's hope I get a run for my money, eh?

Aye, it’s a dodgy time. What with jumpers who’ve had enough of it for now or suddenly popping out of the woodwork to earn some summer feed and flatties who haven’t quite woken up yet, it’s a time to be wary. I’m away for a few weeks in Madeira so it should have all settled down by the time I get back. Good luck in the meantime, yo.

Really, I don't get fully wound up on the flat until Royal Ascot.

Madeira? Lovely.

I' expect you may even witness that strange glowing ball in the sky that we glimpse so rarely here in Norwich.

The Henry Ford of weather: "You can have whatever colour sky you want, so long as it's grey" lol.

have a lovely time. :)

Well, there you go.

Do you know, I could have studied the form of that sprint until the day I died and never, never have come up with The Bell Conductor. Incredible - gambled too. Huh.

Then Kestrel Valley gets beaten by his stablemate with the amateur aboard. By Getaway (get 2.5m horses) with a grandsire of Glacial Storm (gets 2.5m horses) out of a mare that gets 2.5m horses. Only obvious that it would stay 3m. Huh.

What do I know? Huh.

Last edited:
Back