Montjeu departs

"a short illness which was due to complications from an overwhelming septicaemia".

Great racehorse; even better sire.

Holy f*ck!!! Real blow to Coolmore and to racing in general. A truly incredible middle distance sire.

Will this push them to run Camelot in the guineas now? Not going to have many more chances to get him a guineas winner now.

Superb racehorse and sire. I'm a little choked because I loved watching him and followed from very early days both to back him and see him perform. He created some of my best ever memories of the racing game and I developed an attachment that I would only normally get with a jumper.

Thanks Old Boy!

I was there the day he won the Arc. A great horse and what a sire.

Hurricane Run, St. Nicholas Abbey, Fame and Glory, Authorized, Motivator, Pour Moi, Scorpion, Frozen Fire, Camelot.

Not to mind Hurricane Fly and Noble Prince.

From Twitter:

David Johnson ‏ @davidjohnson82

Montjeu an excellent sire. Could always tell how proud his sons were of their dad, always lifted their head up high.

The great Montjeu has shuffled off after suffering complications from “overwhelming septicaemia”.

The highest rated son of Sadler’s Wells leaves three Derby winners and a host of others. He’s one I’ll remember, having followed him since before his first race.

Top moderating there by the way. These boys, that are wizards on the forum buttons, don't get enough credit. I was losing track of what thread was what.

Last edited:
very good horse, one of the best 12f horses I have seen
I watched him in the Arc, Kinane did great on him, with Cash on him he would have lost that race.

AS I stallion I didnt expect him to be as good as he has been,
I think Authorized was his best son.

RIP Montjeu - far too soon. Will be sadly missed - how many more Derby winners would he have got in the next 8 years or so? An iconic racehorse and an iconic sire.

Superb racehorse and sire. I'm a little choked because I loved watching him and followed from very early days both to back him and see him perform. He created some of my best ever memories of the racing game and I developed an attachment that I would only normally get with a jumper.

Thanks Old Boy!

Saw him at Chantilly day he won French Derby. Thought how he would not look out of place at Cheltenham. A lovely big alert horse with a great head,neck and shoulder that looked bigger than he was. He could have eaten the opposition that day he was so head and shoulders above them. I thought he would make some NH sire. Suppose in ways he is. Luckily I had a share of a lease in a Montjeu filly who won first time over hurdles. Cash signed my race card that day. I treasure it.

Back