Mrs Brown's Boys

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Surely an even bigger embarrassment to Ireland than Charles Haughey or the rides given in some bumper races - shockingly unfunny crap .

Agreed-old bird working with me said this morning that she was horrified BBC were showing it.
Irish television is unremarkable at the best of times but recent series of Love/Hate was superb judged against the best BBC/Ch4 have ever done.

I saw Eastenders for the first time in 8 years over Christmas-I'm sure I was a repeat they were all whinging and fighting in the Vic same as the last time I saw it.

I find it pretty funny, but then I'm not Irish

'I still remember your father's last words: 'Oh feck, it's a bus'' - worth watching for that alone.

Surely an even bigger embarrassment to Ireland than Charles Haughey or the rides given in some bumper races - shockingly unfunny crap .

Certainly, but I have yet to see anything as unfunny as Lenny Henry on BBC the other night. I watched it for about 10 minutes - morbidly fascinated by how terrible it was.

The only thing I have ever seen that approached it was the Horne and Corden show - but I think this was worse.

I dislike Brendan O'Carroll, but I still manage to enjoy the Mrs Brown programmes. I thought it was one of the better things on TV over the Christmas.

It's dreadful stuff ! Distinctly unfunny.
A throwback to the Jimmy O'Dea/Maureen Potter school of ham-acting.
( Might be tolerable in a theatrical setting or pantomime, but dire on TV).

It must work all right as a stage show, but it looks terribly hammy televised. Totally agree with FU re Lenny Henry. Desperate stuff. He even made a remark about him being recognised as the Premier Inn bloke, which says it all - he should check out of comedy and stick to adverts. Horne and Corden also gruesome - why is Corden all over tv these days, like Rhod Gilbert, the Welsh Shouter? Just being a fat bloke or a Welshman is not, guys, intrinsically amusing. You're supposed to make us laugh, not wince.

Certainly, but I have yet to see anything as unfunny as Lenny Henry on BBC the other night. I watched it for about 10 minutes - morbidly fascinated by how terrible it was.

The only thing I have ever seen that approached it was the Horne and Corden show - but I think this was worse.

Comedy genius Lenny Henry as the BBC laughably put it

It must work all right as a stage show, but it looks terribly hammy televised. Totally agree with FU re Lenny Henry. Desperate stuff. He even made a remark about him being recognised as the Premier Inn bloke, which says it all - he should check out of comedy and stick to adverts. Horne and Corden also gruesome - why is Corden all over tv these days, like Rhod Gilbert, the Welsh Shouter? Just being a fat bloke or a Welshman is not, guys, intrinsically amusing. You're supposed to make us laugh, not wince.

The BBC preselects a number of comedians and the next thing is they're everywhere - I give you the truly terrible Sarah Millican and the obnoxious Russell Howard, for starters

VVO - agree with you on those two and a rather long list of other pretenders! I wish that so many of them realised that strong regional accents, body shape/size, SHOUTING AT THE AUDIENCE, swearing endlessly, making fart jokes, making inverse racial remarks, whinging about everything or running up and down the stage is not funny per se. Infantile, desperate, needy, yes. But not amusing in the slightest.

I watched MBB on Monday (well it was on in the background while I was investigating the Carberry book) I didnt mind it though - agree about the "feck its a bus" comment - but i did think they overdid a few things that were funny the first 4 times, but then.....

wouldnt choose to watch it - but dont have a problem with him watching (not till ive finished his autobiography collection anyway - then i might get a bit bored!!)

My father-in-law swears by this show, and can often be found roaring his c*ck off laughing at it. *

* My father-in-law is a recovering alcoholic - make of that what you will

Edit: I've about had it with this unneccsaary Puritanical swear-filter. Cormack f*cked TRF with this ridiculous nonsense. I hope TH doesnt go the same way.

Last edited:
**** was filtered? Well, that fucks up the chicken farming section then! (Hey, now that is weird. We can't say male chicken, but we can say ****?)

No, we can't say f-u-c-k, but we can use it as an active verb.

Last edited:
No wonder so many people emigrate from Ireland - economic collapse, MBB , David Duggan and Jedward ...

Anyone not laughing out loud at times during last night's edition must be a serious miserablist.

OK, it's embarrasingly corny in places, but in others it's feckin inspired.

Back