Murphy and Johnson

Hutchy

At the Start
I have been away for a while but notice that on Sunday Tom Scudamore is riding Mous of Men for Pipe/Johnson but Timmy is at the meeting riding for his father-in-law.
Has there been an official parting of the ways that I have missed?

Would be surprised that the papers have missed it but not surprised if it happens
Scu has at least sat on a few Johnson horses last season.
Mind you Timmy has nothing left at Pipes to really have a retainer and nothing with anyone else for next year "the Cheltenham winners will be weighted out of it" and the Nicholls horse is shit
Najaf could be ridden by Ruby

I wouldn't be surprised if DJ decides he's not got enough horses to warrant a retainer. There are plenty of decent jockeys up north who can ride them, O'Regan, Renwick etc. and down south, Scu can ride the Pipes and Ruby the Nicholls ones.

Tom Scudamore is a moderate jockey of limited ability- how he failed to get Monkerhostin past Kicking King in that King George-will remain a mystery forever . I think I would stick with Murphy .

Tom Scudamore is a moderate jockey of limited ability- how he failed to get Monkerhostin past Kicking King in that King George-will remain a mystery forever . I think I would stick with Murphy .

It took me a while to work out what you were referring to. I had forgotten he won two King Georges. Did KK not go wrong after the race?

Johnson had more runners last week and other jocks were put up. Although there seems nothing official it looks like the end of the arrangement.
A shame for Timmy who is struggling to find any rides these days which beggars belief for a jock who has rode over a 1000 winners.
Bad jockeys don't ride a 1000 winners do they?

Chances are that as DJ just has a few poor runners over the summer Murph isnt needed and can please himself when he rides which is quite infrequently at the mo. Come the decent winter races Murph will be back on. TJ is a fabulous big race jockey now that he has a young family he doesnt need the Sedgefield donkeys.

Chances are that as DJ just has a few poor runners over the summer Murph isnt needed and can please himself when he rides which is quite infrequently at the mo. Come the decent winter races Murph will be back on. TJ is a fabulous big race jockey now that he has a young family he doesnt need the Sedgefield donkeys.

I can see him teaming up with someone like Emma Lavelle if this job has fallen from beneath his feet..

I have been away for a while but notice that on Sunday Tom Scudamore is riding Mous of Men for Pipe/Johnson but Timmy is at the meeting riding for his father-in-law.
Has there been an official parting of the ways that I have missed?

There could be now, after that ride on Jessies Dream. :lol:

He did indeed Sheikh and hopefully he's more Hidden Universe than Sergheyev (who I think won this race a few years ago before being sold to DJ for fortunes and doing naff all).

While I agree the ride on Jessies did not look great, the horse was dead in the parade ring before hand and was on a loose rein past the stands. I'd say he wasn't at the races and Murphy knew it. Still, he should have been on terms or ahead jumping the last but all the way to the line he was making very little impression. I've see much worse, like Townend on Blackstairmountain, which should have resulted in a one week ban. I'm all for being easy on horses when required but that was bloody ridiculous!

While I agree the ride on Jessies did not look great, the horse was dead in the parade ring before hand and was on a loose rein past the stands. I'd say he wasn't at the races and Murphy knew it. Still, he should have been on terms or ahead jumping the last but all the way to the line he was making very little impression. I've see much worse, like Townend on Blackstairmountain, which should have resulted in a one week ban. I'm all for being easy on horses when required but that was bloody ridiculous!

I agree she was a bit listless but her jumping was so superior at the business end that, as you say, he should have been ahead before the second last and making his way home before having to ask the horse to dig deep. Instead he tucked in behind Russell who was clearly struggling at that point.I don't think it's a case that he might have won had he been more positive, he would have won. I didn't have a bet in the race.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a case that he might have won had he been more positive, he would have won. I didn't have a bet in the race.

I didn't have a bet in the race either and I'm not so sure he would have won under any other circumstances. Normally in these cases, once the jock realises he's made an error of judgement, the horse closes up. Yet when Murphy went for the whip half way up the run-in there was little enough response and the winner was holding Jessies to the same distance in the last 50 yards. Jessies was a length behind after the last, and a length behind at the line. Maybe if he had sent Jessies on two out he might have stayed on better but I just think it was a dead performance.

Maybe if he had sent Jessies on two out

That's my point.

he was jumping and galloping all over Russell at that stage and should have gone on. The gap didn't increase on the run in but it did decrease slightly.

Anyhoo, will Jessies go to Chelt ? i'd imagine he would given the owner. Strikes me as the typoe to go well there, travels easily and jumps well.

Last edited:
Anyhoo, will Jessies go to Chelt ? i'd imagine he would given the owner. Strikes me as the typoe to go well there, travels easily and jumps well.

I was thinking, as Jessies past the stands yest, that I hoped he won well and was a shortish price for RSA so I could place lay. I think he will be taken off his feet early in the race.

I didn't have a bet in the race either and I'm not so sure he would have won under any other circumstances. Normally in these cases, once the jock realises he's made an error of judgement, the horse closes up. Yet when Murphy went for the whip half way up the run-in there was little enough response and the winner was holding Jessies to the same distance in the last 50 yards. Jessies was a length behind after the last, and a length behind at the line. Maybe if he had sent Jessies on two out he might have stayed on better but I just think it was a dead performance.

Both arguments can be true - don't think JD jumped terribly well yesterday, but Murphy gave away ground and impetus letting him run badly down the last fence (where have we heard this before), whereas he had enough horse under him to ensure that such a scenario didn't happen from the home turn. JD may well have got in front 2 out and been clawed back, but that was still the correct thing to do, especially as he's lost the ability to see a stride.

I was thinking, as Jessies past the stands yest, that I hoped he won well and was a shortish price for RSA so I could place lay. I think he will be taken off his feet early in the race.

Hmmm I liked the way he travelled and thought a strong gallop wouldn't be a prob :D, he did get a bit careless at some of the middle obstacles or maybe that was the way they where presented to him. Also being a presenting their might be further improvement on quicker ground.

What do you make of M D'H. Personally I have my doubts that he will make a chaser. He doesn't look built for it. He looks a bit long from the knee to the ankle which could make his landing gear weak.

Hmmm I liked the way he travelled and thought a strong gallop wouldn't be a prob :D, he did get a bit careless at some of the middle obstacles or maybe that was the way they where presented to him. Also being a presenting their might be further improvement on quicker ground.

What do you make of M D'H. Personally I have my doubts that he will make a chaser. He doesn't look built for it. He looks a bit long from the knee to the ankle which could make his landing gear weak.

I would have been of the same opinion on Jessies before yest. Maybe I should just write off yest's run as being out of form but he looked slow to me. Not sure what you can make of M D'H. He jumped well in Fairyhouse bar the last and I'd always forgive a horse a fall at the last. Most of the time it's because the jock rides it differently into that fence than every other one because they think they have it won. I'd be inclined to give him another chance come Feb and maybe upped in trip again to 2m4f.

Back