Natagora

I'll remember today as the day I saw Natagora - so will a lot of other people. Even the complete rookies on the course were awed by her - she caused a real buzz after the race too. She's not in effect all that big - a decent size, but not big like, say, Six Perfections; but she immense presence.

Her most striking quality though is her extraordiary ability to concentrate: she was amazing to watch in the parade ring, totally relaxed but intent, looking neither right nor left - same again going down to the start, she ignored her surroundings and cantered in a very purposeful but collected manner, slightly arched neck and head held low and still - looked like she'd eat em all up.

She wasted not one jot of energy in the prelims - very rare to see focus like that

By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

Pascal Bary reports leading 1000 Guineas fancy Natagora to be in good form ahead of her seasonal debut in the Prix Imprudence at Maisons-Laffitte on Monday.

The French trainer wants to see how the Cheveley Park Stakes winner handles the step up to seven furlongs on soft ground when she faces nine rivals in the Group Three contest.

"She is running to see how she goes over seven furlongs and on the soft going," said Bary.

"She's fine, she's done very well over the winter and she has been working well."

Opposition includes the Khalid Abdullah-owned Modern Look, Blue Cayenne, Rainbow Crossing and Roscoff.

Natagora is 7-1 third-favourite with the sponsors for the stanjamesuk.com-sponsored Classic at Newmarket on May

Oh dear, it looks like another visit to the bookies tomorrow!
Laddies always shows the French racing
I haven;t had a bet all weekend but I'll have to if I go in the wee shorp

Well, I was very keen on Proviso for the 1000 Guineas last winter, but I think Natagora is the most likely winner of the race right now. Ladbrokes have been happy to take my money today at 7/1. Surely she stays the mile imho.

Warbler check Eastern Romance as he put up great speed figures in Longchamp also over 5flgs! Its nothing special on a sunny sunday in Paris for sprinters to do the 5flgs in under 57 secs

She looks a good bet for the Guineas now - no reason to think she won't stay imo, and can settle off the pace if she likes.

I think if she was from a more fashionable yard and owner combination she would be far shorter. I can think of far worse bets all season than her in the guineas. Having said that the Dunlop "talking horse" must be feared as he seems to have made a much brighter start to the season than usual.

Congrats to Warbler for the original spot on speed figs, and I can only say that watching this filly bore out that she was very special. She's one tough cookie! Very exciting to see where she goes from here - hope she comes back over here in the summer

[edited as I'm so excited my spelling's got even worse than usual!]

Great to see someone have such faith (and well documented reasons for that faith) in a horse and it all comes to fruition... again and again! Well done, Warbs! :clap:

Alas no :laughing:

When I first picked her up she wasn't in any of the books though first appeared on Betfair a month later at 109. Mindful of what Bary had said after Six Perfections (would never run in the race again) I figured that even venturing a tenner was tantamount to donating it. Only about 1 French horse ever turns up every other year anyway, and the chances of me having picked it out in mid June didn't sit too well with the laws of probability. It was only after the Cheveley Park that Bary stated the Guineas was her likely target, (or the first time I picked up on him saying so anyway, which isn't necessarily the same thing) and by then the price had gone. (I think she was 25 before that race and clipped into about 12's after it). I remembered the spectre of Evening Time too, and decided I'd give her the Winter to see how things were as the price was unlikely to move significantly, whilst the risk of a set back remained. In the end I got a bit of 12's which I'd imagine is prety well what most of us got, though a few might have snaffled 16's plus?

Ibn Khaldun would have been my bigger winner, but in a funny way if I were offered a choice between the two, I'd probably have gone for Natagora (most unlike me) as by then I'd launched into too much of an emotional commitment to her on another forum

God I remember reading this thread and backing her in Newmarket at the end of last season. Great stuff indeed.

Yes I got 12s, then backed again at 11s and a bit more at 10s

I feel very emotionally attached to her as well - I'd have been thrilled with her win even if I hadn't backed her. That's largely from seeing her at Newmarket.

It was a great relief too to get that high - I felt terribly deflated after the 2000, deeply disappointed that neither NA nor IK had won it. NA partly to atone for Teofilio last year, and IK partly as so many chums were on so big. Sorry to say I find yet another Ballydoyle big-race win a bit of an anti-climax! - a bit like a Nicholls win over the sticks

Can someone explain me why Channon has so many horses?

Can you imagine what would have happened if horses like Nahood, Youmizain, Queens Logic, Bint Ayail etc would have been trained by Stoute, Noseda etc.....

about the Guineas

there could be some nice fillies in the field for the season but it was the weakest edition I can remember.

Stewards should ask Bolger and Channon for the improved performances of Nahhod and Saoirse Boi. I know they were running in trials, but this is becoming a joke to see the horses improving such way in only 2 weeks.

Infallible didnt stay and can be a nice fillie, Muthabara also run well considering the set back, looks a nice prospect if injuries allow her to fulfill potential, Lush Lashses another interesting when on 12f and Savethisdance is also a nice fillie once she gets the ground on the softer side.

Lemaire very good ride on the winner and Bary at last won a Guineas, he should have done it with Six Prefections but he did it with the one that didnt deserve it.

Originally posted by sunybay@May 7 2008, 09:43 PM
Can you imagine what would have happened if horses like Nahood, Youmizain, Queens Logic, Bint Ayail etc would have been trained by Stoute, Noseda etc.....
He seemed to do a good job of getting Nahoodh cherry ripe for the Guineas; he didn't ride the filly.

Were Bint Allayl and Queen's Logic not unbeaten juveniles who got injured? Was that Mick's fault?

I am not a massive Channon fan, incidentally.

Back