Natagora

And Chris told us on here last year that Nahoodh is a serious horse! - so is Natagora, and she certainly did deserve it. If she'd needed to she would have pulled out more. She's got a 'racing brain', and has learned to do just what's needed

Besides which it's only to be expected that fillies will improve massively at this time of year, esp when the weather suddenly changes from cold to spring warmth.

Nick Mordins assessment

NATAGORA DOES IT

I hate slow run races because they make it impossible to produce accurate speed ratings. In addition it's hard to know which horses were helped or hindered by the slow early pace. It is with sadness therefore that I have to report the 1,000 Guineas was slow run and ended up in a bunch finish where the first seven home had intervals of half a length or less between them.

The right horse one as far as my previous ratings are concerned in NATAGORA (31) but it was a messy, scrambling win due to the slow pace she set.

The suspicion has to be that sprinting types like Infallible (30) and Nahoodh (30) finished closer than they would have done in a truly run race. Equally those that want a longer distance would have finished closer - notably the O'Brien pair Kitty Matcham (25) and Savethisdanceforme (23).

Basically I would not treat the form of this race at face value except insofar as the winner and runner up SPACIOUS (30) are concerned. Both would surely have done better in a more strongly run race. In fact I suspect they would still have finished 1-2 but have pulled much further clear of the rest.

I would be careful of buying into the idea that fifth placed Nahoodh would have won with a clear run. It's hard for a horse to gain much ground in a sprint finish, however well they may appear to be traveling. Besides she needs to prove she can stay in a truly run mile race anyhow.

Misses Royal Ascot and instead is stepping up to ten furlongs for one of the French Classics. Weither she is good enough against the colts I don't know but its hard to see her appreciate an extra 2 furlongs.

Poor chance in the Jockey club, but even though will be difficult to place in any arace, maybe the Prix Astarte will be her best chance .

I'd imagine the Breeders Cup will be her ultimate target, and suspect they're hoping for a tactical affair in France. I share everyones concerns about 10F

I can't understand the rationale for stepping her upto 1m2f let alone against the colts, I can only assume they don't want to take Zarkava on in the Diane which is fair enough but the distance issue still baffles me.

Also, flying across Yutaka Take seems a bit ridiculous, there are plenty of better jockeys in Europe who could ride her.

Originally posted by Gamla Stan@May 27 2008, 09:32 AM
I can't understand the rationale for stepping her upto 1m2f let alone against the colts, I can only assume they don't want to take Zarkava on in the Diane which is fair enough but the distance issue still baffles me.

Also, flying across Yutaka Take seems a bit ridiculous, there are plenty of better jockeys in Europe who could ride her.
The colts race looks the easier of the two as Zarkava is going to be fairly unbeatable this year, and the colts just keep beating each other which suggests there's very little true quality. Of the French runners, only Vision d'Etat is still unbeaten and he started out in small province races.

As for Take getting the ride, I guess it means there's a ready made excuse for if she gets beat.

Zarkava has plenty to prove before she can be described as "fairly unbeatable". She has to beat the other 3 year old filly, then the likes of Peeping Fawn and then the colts.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 27 2008, 10:00 AM
Zarkava has plenty to prove before she can be described as "fairly unbeatable". She has to beat the other 3 year old filly, then the likes of Peeping Fawn and then the colts.
I agree Zarkava has it all left to do, but she's one of those horses you see and think this is the best since ...

There are lots of TV interviews, quotes etc from Soumillon where he is open about the fact that she's the only horse he's ridden who's up there with Dalakhani, which is a massive compliment considering what he's had in the years in between.

For me the only thing that can beat her this year is the Arc trip as 12f may just be too far (and that fair American horse if he runs).

Fair enough, we'll see how the season pans out for Zarkava.

Anyway, can somebody tell me the chances of Ibn Khaldun running in the Jockey Club, as the rumour here in France is that it will be Dettori and not Take on Natagora

Backers doubts

I agree Zarkava has it all left to do, but she's one of those horses you see and think this is the best since ...

There are lots of TV interviews, quotes etc from Soumillon where he is open about the fact that she's the only horse he's ridden who's up there with Dalakhani, which is a massive compliment considering what he's had in the years in between.

For me the only thing that can beat her this year is the Arc trip as 12f may just be too far (and that fair American horse if he runs).

Well the 12s I got back then is looking good now, but I'm a bit more worried now than before yesterday. In all her races she's out the back early and runs well wide in the straight. You can put this down to either extreme confidence from Soumillon or the fact that she just doesn't like the presence of other horses, and the start yesterday seems to point to this. If it's the case, then no matter if she's asuperstar, she's going to have the best part of 10 lengths to make up on a few hardened G1 winners in a fairly short home straight, because I'm sure they'll all be handily ridden.

Very interesting Longchamp, the view from on the ground so to speak! Thanks
It's really not a race I'd like to be categorical about at all, esp at her likely prices

Natagora will stay in training next year and will be aimed at the big Asian prizes this Autumn. :) She looked an absolute picture on Saturday. I'll try and get some photos up from the weekend.

1,000 Guineas heroine Natagora retired

By Racing Post Staff 3.48PM 13 JAN 2009

NATAGORA, the winner of last year's 1,000 Guineas, has been retired to the paddocks after it was announced that the two-time Group 1 winner has been bought by Sheikh Hamdan.
The Pascal Bary-trained daughter of Divine Light had been catalogued in the Tattersalls December breeding stock sale but was withdrawn after owner Stefan Friborg said that she would stay in training.
However Angus Gold, racing manager to Sheikh Hamdan, announced that the four-year-old had been bought for an undisclosed sum.
He said: "She was a top-class two-year-old who trained on to win the Guineas, and she is obviously a very exciting addition to the stud."

An absolute legend of a horse, such a shame she's been retired but she had probably achieved all she could. Epic performances as a two year old in the Guineas and such a shame she couldn't really go on from that, it's not every year you have to deal with a Zarkava. She put in a fantastic effort in the French Derby and her run behind Paco Boy at Arc weekend was great. I'll always have a soft spot for her after the 33/1 I backed her at in July 2007. Seeing her hose up that afternoon at Newmarket as well as seeing my beloved Stoke getting promoted was a fantastic afternoon. Here's the video of her game performance in the Guineas for you all to enioy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VMM13ZLQ9Ho

Thanks Gamla, for putting that up

I'll always have a soft spot for her too, having backed her on Champions Day 07 and again in the Guineas (and having won the forum Classics Comp partly as a result of that run!). and they always mean more to you when you've been close them in the flesh

Back