National Stakes

Ardross

Senior Jockey
AN very disappointing but was impressed by the front two Kingsfort very professional but I liked- in particular Chabal who looked much more green .

Are they entered in the Dewhurst ?

I was told at Leopardstown last week that he was expected today -changed my mind at the last minute.Surely the boys from Dubai will be getting out their chequebooks.Alfred Nobel has had his 15 minutes of fame.

Chabal pulled far far far too hard early on in the National Stakes - race wasn't run to suit and still managed to run on well to take second. Looks a worthy Derby favourite to me :)

Kingsfort will NOT be for sale at any price. Serious horse and great to see the owner get a really good one.

The perfect opening position.

Funny but there is no chance the Norman Orminson will sell. Hes put a lot of money in over the years and is not in the game to sell a horse with Kingsfort potential.

I don't doubt it Gearoid but if Godolphin want him badly enough and the money (and the deal)is right it would be hard to say no.

I understand what your saying but I would be 1-66 he runs in the same colours next season. Its jurt fantastci to see KP have one so good.

The 16-1 with Stan James for the Guineas is now a best price 14-1. He wont run again this year so plenty of time to be topping up at that price. The 8-1 general looks closer the mark to me. Anything double figures is worth a bet to me.

Very taking performance for only his second time out. More to come I hope. Would like to see him have more experience this year though.

I disagree. Very percise campaign. Won a hot maiden first time up and put away to win today. Has nothing more to prove this year. Im hoping to see the ratings boys on the forum put up some figures during the week.

With less than 4 lengths covering all 6 runners, the bare form surely cannot be rated especially highly, but the first 2 do seem almost sure to be better than that suggests.

Chabal may be by Galileo, but his dam's side is miling through and through. I imagine he, like the winner, will be very effective at 1m as a 3-y-o.

I would take Chabal out of the race, I think he is more of a mile to 10 furlong horse than say a Derby horse. Whats more he is running blinders at a time when Bolgers have not really been banging in the winners and with plenty from the stable running stinkers. Prendergast on the other hand is a stable in blinding form.

Alfred Nobel did not look happy but it was hardly the brightest move trying to win the race out in the middle of the track in soft ground at The Curragh. Also it was horrible tacky, gluey ground as well - hard to come from so far behind.

I think he was just well beaten.....

Agree with prufrock. All a little bit to close up to be enthused about the form

Alfred Nobel was well beaten but the fact that two stablemates reversed previous form with him (one of whom was a pacemaker) makes you wonder. Didn't he hang a bit when he won the Railway?

Chabal's late surge was visually impressive (watching at the track) but I haven't had the chance to watch it back on TV. The winner ran on well too having been more prominent as did Beethoven who dropped back before staying on. I'd imagine that'll put him top of the Ballydoyle 2yo thread!

Alfred Nobel looked a difficult ride in the railway stakes and Heffernan riding him was a negative for me before the race and as Galileo said exaggarated hold up tactics on that ground is not a good idea

Not that it made a difference but another poor ride by Heffernan. Why don't Ballydoyle get rid of him and get a proper second jockey? Bizarre considering what certain races are worth to them.

I was also really taken by Chabal, but not for th Derby, but for the Guineas. I hope we see him at Longchamp or Newmarket.

Had a decent bet on Chabal but think there will be opportunities to get that money back.

Agree completely with Heffernan, the same goes for Oxx and Berry!

I've just read your posts on Berry on the Leger thread. I think Galileos point about pressure etc probably sums it up. Not sure Oxx needs a change as he rarely has instances like yesterday where he needs a second jockey for a top race, and this can often be the Aga's retained jockey in France.

Is Heffernan related to someone in Ballydoyle?

Chabal was also pulling like mad in the first two furlongs, and only won his maiden a week ago so for me he is by far the horse to take out of the race. The good thing is that Bolger will hopefully not put him away and we'll see more of him this year.

Not sure Oxx needs a change as he rarely has instances like yesterday where he needs a second jockey for a top race, and this can often be the Aga's

True, had he not been injured, could well have had Soumi on Mourayan yesterday I suppose.

Back