Navan Sunday

Weight of money today on course too - clearly very highly regarded Gearoid.

Made Mikael 3/1 so was amazed to see Boyles etc. go up with 9/2 - great bet.

That's shocking after-timing, Martin! :D

Very impressive performance. Pandorama just doesn't have the change of gear that Mikael D'Haguenet clearly possesses.

Nice performance from Scotsirish in the Hilly Way. Form of the race isn't brilliant but a strongly-run two miles could his trip (though I would still say 2m4f on decent ground would be ideal). Were you on btw, Gal?

Shakervilz looks a Stayers Hurdle horse.

I did not back Scotsirish today. I fancied him for Cheltenham because that is more his trip. No surprise to see him end up in something like the Ryanair Chase.

Last edited:
Looks a Ryanair horse alright.

What a very strange run from Aitmatov BTW. Looked a candidate to be pulled up when coming off the bridle swinging out of the straight before flying home. Totally out of character for him to travel as poorly as he did.

Willie Mullins

"We came here to see how good this horse was and that was something else, it was a huge performance.

"He likes this type of ground and we have no worries with trip.

"We will enter him for Cheltenham but he is such a big horse I worry about his speed coming down the hill.

"His next possible target is the Slaney Hurdle at Naas in January.

"Paul Townend gave him a copybook ride - he did everything we told him."

William Hill and VC Bet were suitably impressive and slashed Mullins' charge into 6-1 for the Ballymore Properties Novices' Hurdle at the Festival.

Stan James made the winner a 10-1 shot for the same race, while pushing out Pandorama to 12s (from 5-1)

Think all the aces for the Ballymore are in the Mullins yard - well the two main ones. Difficult to choose between Hurricane Fly and Mikael at the moment - tempted to run one in the Supreme or wait with one of them for Aintree or Punchestown?

True enough - had him in my mind as I typed Bobbyjo. Was doubtful whether to mention the Supreme Novices as he already has CV for that.

Mikael for the Albert Bartlett?

No harm in running two of them in the same race; Townend is a more than capable partner for whichever he wants back up in. Anyway, this is assuming they all make it there which must be odds against at this early, early juncture

Let's keep the fingers crossed, Bobbyjo!

Very impressive performance from Dunguib in the bumper. Have a hard time believing Luska Lad ran to his best though, given that he looked to have reverted to his free-going ways. Still, an impressive performance nonetheless.

Well Pandorama burst his bubble a little earlier than Aran Concerto. Pandorama has one pace and while he can look impressive against grade 3 horses, any horse with any turn of foot will beat him. He was flat out down the far side. Mikhail has a serious knee action so I'd say Cheltenham is unlikely. I hear the Deloitte followed by France. They spent big money on him.

On the Tara Hurdle, Geraghty went a little ga ga here. Why oh why did he go off so fast on Give Me Time? There wasn't a word between Johnny Harrington and Geraghty after the race but I believe words were exchanged later. A terrible ride. Aitmatov apparently didn't handle the ground and wasn't enjoying it. I'd say the only reason he was there at the end was the rediculous gallop. Shakervilz couldn't but win and I reckon he is def a lay the next day.

The bumper winner was very impressive. tHat was a good bumper and he should do better on better ground.

I disagree about Shakervilz, I think he is a rapidly improving young horse and a return to three miles at Christmas (assuming thats what he goes for) will see him very hard to beat.

It's a game of opinions Gal. I just think he will be savagely underpriced for his next race. Aitmatov and Give It Time couldn't win and the rest are a bunch of in and out performers. I just think he was the only one to run his race.

Aitmatov probably wasn't ideally suited by the ground, but he's never travelled like a pig before, even in that ground. Very strange run.

Geraghty's ride on Give It Time was strange alright.

Any chance that Pandorama might be put over fences now?

Meade mentioned after his maiden hurdle win that they may go down that route sooner rather than later, and now that he's been found out a little (by an undoubtedly decent horse), they might be tempted to go novice chasing.

I've had a handful of kopeks on at fancy prices for the RSA Chase, there's still plenty of time to get a few runs into him over fences before the Festival, and I therefore strongly recommend that Mr Meade gives this option some serious consideration.

:whistle:

He is only a 5 year old (turning six)...RSA for a six year old would be a tough ask. If he goes to the festival at all it will surely be the 3 mile novice hurdle.

You're probably right about the target race, Gal, if he did go to the Festival - just thinking out loud really.

I disagree about Shakervilz, I think he is a rapidly improving young horse and a return to three miles at Christmas (assuming thats what he goes for) will see him very hard to beat.

Hopefully we will get to see what his chances are tomorrow.

On the Tara Hurdle, Geraghty went a little ga ga here. Why oh why did he go off so fast on Give Me Time? There wasn't a word between Johnny Harrington and Geraghty after the race but I believe words were exchanged later. A terrible ride. Aitmatov apparently didn't handle the ground and wasn't enjoying it. I'd say the only reason he was there at the end was the rediculous gallop. Shakervilz couldn't but win and I reckon he is def a lay the next day.

Layed Shakervilz today, backed Aitmatov last weekend but missed Give It Time at Crimbo. Just goes to show you what a mixed up race the Tara Hurdle was.

Shakervilz finished punch drunk after travelling well for a long way. Three miles on that sort of ground was too far for him....but it looks like you were probably right about that race.

If I recall he was rated around 124 before the Tara and I'd say he is 10lbs better than that at 134. Even being punch drunk, if he was on the same rating as Alpha Ridge that would make the winner 134 too which is a big rating for a non top grade (this season anyway) novice. So I just think he has improved but not by as much as the Tara win seemed to suggest. The others just ran way below form that day.

Back