Navan Tomorrow

Guest_

At the Start
Some card tomorrow,

Opens with Pandorama in the maiden taking on some decent types in Warcraft and Judgeroybean.

Then Fisher Bridge out in the novice hurdle, surprised to see him out again so soon but he looks a classy type in testing conditions.

The Lismullen Hurdle sees Kazal, Hardy Eustace, Sweet Kiln, Aitmatov, Catch Me, Larkwing, and the smart mare Give It Time. I think this is Catch Me's best distance and he will be fit after a recent run.

Fortria Chase has the usual Irish suspects turning up, Schindlers Hunt, Mansony, Justified all turn up. Scotsirish needs a clear round while Mistertopnotch surely needs further but I think his fitness and testing conditions could see him surprise a few in this.

But the horse everyone really wants to see is Aran Concerto. Lets hope he retains all of his considerable ability.

Anyone know if Mister Top Notch is a likely runner in the hennessy? If so what is the thinking behind running him over 2 mile tomorrow? Presumably just to keep him ticking over?

Also, are they going to step Mansony up this year or still try and win a champion chase with him?

TIA

Came very close to laying Academy Sir Harry in the last race on the basis that all of his bumper form was on decent ground. Very impressed with him though, looks decent form as well.

Ground doesn't seem to be riding quite as bad as I anticipated.

Academy Sir Harry will struggle when the better novices start coming out.

Pandorama did all that could have been asked while Catch Me won well ahead of a likely tilt at the Hattons Grace.

Probably, Gal. Probably improvement to come on better ground, but when you consider that Cousin Vinny destroyed him at Punchestown, it just underlines what a prospect he is!

Decent performance from Catch Me. 2m4f seems to be very much his trip, and his turn of foot makes him stand out. Still not a great jumper though.
Kazal was given a poor ride IMO.

Kazal looks a tricky ride to me. Rather that being tapped for toe (as ATR suggested) I think he was just taking the piss. Only got going late home when he consented to it.

I would agree with that to an extent, Gal. Perhaps the cheekpieces didn't have quite the same effect they did last year.

At the same time, he's never going to beat Catch Me for pace. He should have been in front before they turned in. Or perhaps Geraghty was merely riding to instructions on the horse's first run.

WOA's form looks a bit better now with that run from Watsons Lake

Hmmmm thats a literal interpretation of the form, but Watson Lake absolutely hammered a fence down the back at Punchestown and clearly did not give his running on his first run in well over a year.

I do not think I have ever seen a jockey take a pull so close to his mount jumping a fence as Carberry did 2 or 3 times with Aran Concerto just there as he was travellings so well. Great to see him return in such style.

The way the field raced the whole thing had a bit of a maiden point-to-point feel to it.

Couldn't agree more. I accept that Rosy Cyborg probably got tired, but Ruby was never going to try to press the winner if he could avoid it. The way that horse joined the leaders four out suggested that they slowed up in front, so the race is barely rateable in terms of form.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I accept that Rosy Cyborg probably got tired, but Ruby was never going to try to press the winner if he could avoid it. The way that horse joined the leaders four out suggested that the slowed up in front, so the race is barely rateable in terms of form.

I think that could be said for alot of beginners chases.

It could indeed. Which is why it's easy to get carried away by horses winning such races on the bridle. Aran Concerto looks a monster, but he needs to put up a performance which stacks up on both the stopwatch and in terms of collateral form before I can get excited by more than his looks.

It could indeed. Which is why it's easy to get carried away by horses winning such races on the bridle. Aran Concerto looks a monster, but he needs to put up a performance which stacks up on both the stopwatch and in terms of collateral form before I can get excited by more than his looks.

I think this is similar to the War Of Attrition thing. It is very possible to get excited about a horse returning from injury and making it back to win on the track without thinking or suggesting he is the second coming. Considering he was a Grade 1 winning hurdler I think the comments on here so far are fair enough.

Last edited:
Absolutely Gal; I've no problem with the "great to see him back and happy" sentiments regarding War of Attrition, Kauto Star and Aran Concerto and I wouldn't slag off any of the performances. I'm just pre-empting the possible hyperbole which may appear. On another forum, for example, Kauto Star's win in the JN Champion Chase was described as "an amazing performance!!". Someone has to be the grinch. ;)

Back