Newbury Friday

Hamm

At the Start
Very interesting card.

Gosden has the likely favourite in the first, and some interesting runners on breeding, including a runner for footstepsinthesand (his first here?).

Sonny Red has been transferred to Dandy Nicholls, and the forecast 20/1 looks very appealing what with his record with sprinters, the fact Sonny Red races off a mark 12 pounds lower than his highest mark, and he ran very well for Hannon around this time last year. The worry would be if today is not the day.

The conditions stakes is very interesting; especially so to see the reappearance of Four Winds, who was third behind Kite Wood and Taameer in the Autumn Stakes, a race I feel could have an impact on the Derby this year. The Dunlop, Noseda and Cecil horses make this a potentially very informative race.

Barynya makes her debut for Stoute today in the 3 year old fillies maiden. She is by Pivotal out of a certain Russian Rhythm, and it should be extremely interesting to see how she goes.

Not sure is it the strongest betting card for me, but a very interesting one nevertheless.

Any thoughts?

An interesting card but not a big betting one like you say.

The sprint is a very tricky race, I think Cake (4 year olds have a good record in this and she ran some good races last year and may have even improved again else I'm not sure if she'd have stayed in training) and Holbeck Ghyll (goes very well fresh and can be an absolute machine over 5f, put up some cracking times last year) are massive prices but I doubt I'll play the race. Sonny Red is interesting and I don't trust Nicholls as far as I can throw him but I do find it interesting that he's sending the horse all the way down to Newbury on his own with Franny Norton booked, you may have hit on something with that one, he's on a very lenient mark.

I think quite a lot of Your Old Pal in the 3.15, he ran a remarkable time when scooting home in his maiden here late last year and should have improved from 2 to 3. I think 11/4 is value against the favourite who seems underpriced simply for finishing close to Kite Wood which could be a bit flattering. Father Time worries me though, put in a good time round Great Leighs. Fascinating race nonetheless.

In the last, Piquante looks value at 6/1, she got a Jamie Spencer special at Leicester last year and looked a winner in the making. This is a tough assignment and she does have the handicap of the idiot riding her again but she should improve for the step up in trip.

I shall be bricking it watching the 2.10 - FAREER makes his first reappearance as a 3yo in this Class 3 over 7f. He's done some really good bits of work and then goes and throws in a duff one and they have admitted they aren't sure if 7f is his trip, so this is a bit of a fact-finding exercise apparently. :p

I loved Sonny Red and am glad he is now with Dandy, think he will rejuvenate the horse, although, as you say, maybe not today, but a nice price.

Good luck Fareer!!!!!! :)

Sonny Red ran well, will win this year but god knows when, Dandy will know mind.

This is a myth that Dandy is some sort of genius that knows which of his 6 is going to win isn't it? As far as I can see, he allows them to run against each other often, run them into form and isn't really bothered which one wins. Sonny Red does look well bought for 5,000 gns, but he's always been at his best in the early part of the season, and I think he's the sort that it's best to crack on with straight away.

Shite, would have liked to have been on the right Cecil runner! Looked very nice. Wonder where they will run him next? Lovely breeding and great to see the old man Sadler's Wells still getting good ones.

Was pleased with FAREER's run on balance - they were out-jockeyed by O'Shea for sure. The colt is no world-beater but could turn into a decent handicapper, hopefully. Looks to be better than his dam and that's the name of the breeding game, after all!

Has "alot" become a word?;)

I just cant decide how best to answer this...I've narrowed it down to one of these ;

1) Is Fuckface a word ?

or

2) there's something wrongwith thespace bar.

By space bar, I mean the big one at that the bottom end of the keyboard not a new shabby drinking house inCardiff you drunkenwelshtwat.

but I'm probably not going to bother.

Was pleased with FAREER's run on balance - they were out-jockeyed by O'Shea for sure. The colt is no world-beater but could turn into a decent handicapper, hopefully. Looks to be better than his dam and that's the name of the breeding game, after all!

Bet you wish R Hills chose the other one?!

The other colt is a good horse - the Hill's yard think a fair bit of him, so I doubt it would have made any difference. My own view is that on better ground and a stiff 6f, FAREER may show to better advantage but that's just my view! I don't train or own him!

This is a myth that Dandy is some sort of genius that knows which of his 6 is going to win isn't it? As far as I can see, he allows them to run against each other often, run them into form and isn't really bothered which one wins. Sonny Red does look well bought for 5,000 gns, but he's always been at his best in the early part of the season, and I think he's the sort that it's best to crack on with straight away.

To some extent but the money is often down with his winners, similar to Richard Fahey in these big handicaps. Some would say they're very good at placing their horses, cynics would argue differently.

a horse rated 97, sold for 5000 gns. there must have been something wrong with him to go for that price.

Absolutely, must have had all sorts wrong with him. That is a mental price. Well played to them for getting him out by April and running well.

Wasn't it the Steward's Cup a few years ago where he ran quite a few and it seemed half of Britain was on Gift Horse?

Sometimes it looks like the money's down, other times he appears a little clueless. I try to avoid his horses where possible as I find him difficult to read.

Absolutely, must have had all sorts wrong with him. That is a mental price. Well played to them for getting him out by April and running well.

Not necessarily. Some of the prices for horses recently has been amazing. Scriptwriter went for something similar, if not too much more. Some better informed people than I should be able to provide more examples. Changing times I think.

Tax Free basically cost all William Hill staff their annual bonus when he won a handicap at York once!

He knows how to get their handicap marks down, that's for sure.

Back