Newbury Friday

Which one my pointing out that there was no such word as "alot" or "that'sokthen";)?

If, as I must assume, it's the former ............all I can say is that someone has to try to maintain the standards of the language used on this board.:blink:

As you don't like receiving silly PMs from me, can I ask on the open forum whether or not you think that you are taking the role of moderator just a little too seriously?

I believe this is the second instance today (although you will deny it) of jumping in with, what I feel, your moderator's hat on.

Just my opinion, of course.

There's no moderator hat on here, it's my personal opinion - I just think you behaved like a knob.

Do excuse my bluntness, but I'm lost as to why someone can pick up on another poster because they didn't use the spacebar.

Pms ... i've told you before. You seem concerned with all issues on the forum, and want to provide advice on how to deal with them. If that is the case, then take the position of a moderator (my position will is free).

Picking up Shads on the Clement Freud thread?!

As for me being a knob, well I can't really argue with that.

Was it a typo, I'm not sure,. but I have seen "alot" appearing a lot.

Goober, if it was a typo, my sincerest apologies.:o

Getting back on topic everybody.....

What was the ground like today at Newbury? Did not see the races myself.

Tax Free basically cost all William Hill staff their annual bonus when he won a handicap at York once!

He knows how to get their handicap marks down, that's for sure.

Tax Free appears to be a pretty bad example. He's run in five handicaps, and in none of them has his mark been lower than it was for the previous one. Tax Free was also a 2 pt Pricewise win bet during that stage when he was on that weekend winning run.

What was the officialy going at Newbury today? Anyone know what it's likely to be and/or the forecast for tomorrow? What were the opinions on High Heeled? I haven't seen the race today but got talking to her lad at Hills' last week and seemed to think she'd do quite well this season. Unfortunately I didn't back her today!

Good to soft, soft in places, Michael Hills (I think) described it as genuinely soft ground.

High Heeled won nicely, coming with a long run down the outside of the field.

Colin, just to clear it up ... I never said you were a knob, was referring to what you said.

Read CF thread again.

Good to soft, soft in places, Michael Hills (I think) described it as genuinely soft ground.

Thank you. HH's lad said that she might run in the Pretty Polly (Newmarket, Guineas weekend?) however RP site says she may now go straight to the Oaks. Not sure she's up to winning that but I'll be keeping an eye on her out of interest.

the times seem to suggest more like SOFT rather than Good/Soft Colin.

maybe dry a little, should be G/S tomorrow

does it dry quick here?..get the feeling it doesn't

Barynya looks so much like her dam.

Funny you should say that, I commented to a few people how much she looked like Pivotal! Minus the star, obviously - but you've got a good point there that she looks very similar to her dam.

To clear up any confusion, the ground was good to soft, soft in places in the back straight.

To clear up even more confusion, no, it is not obvious there is something wrong with Sonny Red to sell for 5000gns. Last autumn the panic was setting in nicely about the 'credit crunch' and they couldn't give horses away at the sales. I'm a regular on the sales circuit and I've not seen the market so dire before. Over the space of a few months (roughly October - December) horses were changing hands for insanely small amounts of money, if they were attracting a bid at all. Ascot's October sales resembled Reading Cattle Market where amounts of money changing hands was concerned and I could easily have filled a lorry with horses for about two grand. I saw untried, recently broken 4yos with not a lot wrong with them bar that maybe they weren't overly big or who weren't entirely correct but not to the extent where it would affect them (eg pasterns a shade too upright) selling for £300. A sound horse that had won within the previous three months sold for £300. A lovely horse I was semi-interested in went for £950 - a large, showy, attractive, quiet, sound, young animal, the type you could stick straight in the Horse and Hound classifieds for £5000+ the minute you got him home.

It dries better than it did, not that that says a lot. It's not drying weather anyway, still drizzling and showers on and off.

Might have been a bit, nothing significant I wouldn't have thought. It was drizzling on and off in the evening. There are clouds moving in though.

Back