Newmarket - Day 1

Flame

At the Start
Just some previews I've put together. Enjoy

1:30 European Breeders' Fund Fillies' Handicap (Class 2)

A decent handicap to start proceedings and several of these will be hoping the rain stays away to increase their chances.

Janina was a useful 2yo of Barry Hills’ last season but disappointed when hating a slow surface at Royal Ascot. Off the track since I’m told she is back in good form. She will come on for the run, but on quick ground she shouldn’t be dismissed.

Highland Daughter is another who has been catching the eye on the Lambourn gallops and she too won’t want the rain too much. Having not really impressed since an impressive maiden win last season she looks the type to keep progressing and ran a decent race last time at Warwick. There is a strong feeling in the yard that she can come back to form here with a good run.

Sourire done well as a 2yo for Sir Mark Prescott but needs the run on her return and looks likely to need further judged on recent work.

Red Dune is another who can be competitive and there was alot to like about the way she stretched clear of Persian Sea over the weekend and the form of her last race looks strong given how easy Lee Miller won next time. 7f on decent ground is ideal and connections expect a big run.

Badweia and Justlikeawoman are two who need the rain but remain in good form and should give their running, whilst looking handicapped to their abilities.

Filigree Lace is another who is open to improvement but she failed to score in only a modest maiden last time and that remains a big worry. The yard think a bit of her but she will get easier chances than this.

Insaaf is from a yard that has served us very well this season and she is open to the most improvement if the rain comes. She has been catching the eye in recent work and pulled clear of her lead horse over the weekend. Best suited by 7f on soft ground she will want plenty of rain but off 87 she has found herself well handicapped again and shouldn’t be dismissed easily.

Summary

A trappy fillies race to start proceedings and a few gather interest here. Much will depend on what happens with the weather but on fast ground Red Dune & Highland Daughter are the pair I really rate. The former is working well at present and looked in great form last week on the gallops. However heavy rain could be on its way and if that is the case I’m keen to take a chance on INSAAF who has been working really well for some time and needs a slow surface to be seen to her best. The blinkers saw some improvement last time and I get the impression there is still more to come from her. She is a tough sort and should have great value about her in this race.

Selection: INSAAF (E/w) - 7/10

Saver: Red Dune & Highland Daughter (E/w)

2:00 toteswinger Stakes (Heritage Handicap) (Class 2)

Loads of rain last year saw the ground favour those in high draws and that could be expected again given the forecast. Low numbers do normally control this race however with 8 winners from the last ten renewals coming from stalls 1 – 10. This year should be no different and that will probably make it hard to fancy in form horses such as Temple Of Thebes, Good Gorsoon and Wise Melody. That’s a shame really as I rate the latter highly and was impressed with the way she won last time out when beating Great Charm who re-opposes again today.

Dohasa is done no favours in stall 16 but Gerr Lyons horse looked good striding home in good style when 6th to Brave Prospector in what used to be the William Hill Trophy. The 3rd Ancien Regime gave that form a good boost at the weekend but whilst the draw does add doubts my biggest worry would be that he gives the impression 7f would suit better.

Tawaash (7) is one of the leading players for me and despite dropping back to 10th in the Jersey I think he may be in lightly off 97. The Michael Jarvis colt showed alot of speed that day and was still in with a shout 1.5f out. Interesting to see connections coming back in trip and class here and for me this could be a decent bet here. He wont mind any rain as he goes on slower ground and he is well drawn to go well.

Spitfire (9) is another who will like a bit of juice in the ground and is similarly matched to Dohasa on the York running. Just in front of him that day was Victorian Bounty (4) but the handicapper appears to have been rather harsh on him adding 3lb on for that effort. He likes the ground quick so rain for him would have to be a worry.

Lytton (15) didn’t show enough on his last start to fancy here and has looked quirky in the past.

Carleton (1) who couldn’t get competitive at York is fancied here after some strong work and he looks the likely type. He wasn’t beat far on that occasion and looks the sort who would appreciate the showers to arrive. The son of Hunting Lion is reported in fine form at present and has solid claims.

Sophie’s Girl (5) is well drawn but whilst she ran a fair race last time she looks one who is better against her own sex.

I give Spanish Bounty (13) some chance despite a highish draw and his 3rd last time was a pleasing effort. He was just run out of it on that occasion and had previously run a good race when 2nd to Wingbeat on the Rowley Mile. There is alot to like about him and if he can track over a little he has to be respected.

Fervent Prince is very hard to fancy from stall 20, whilst Great Charm (14) is another high enough drawn but is in great form. He has plenty going for him and worked impressively last week. He likes to go forwards so hopefully his jockey will tack over. I think he has solid each way claims.

Kaldoun Kingdom (2) came back lame last time but off 2lb lower than its 2nd to Prohibit on the Rowley Mile, he would have to come under some kind of consideration. I would like to see money for him however.

Royal Intruder (10) has a good draw in comparison but looks better over 5f so I’m keen to pass over on that one. Thebes (6) who is also well drawn has questions to answer on turf and is another I couldn’t back.

Cape Vale (3) is very well drawn and is interesting from its powerful yard but he shaped as if 7f would suit better last time and perhaps even wants a mile. He is likely to be outpaced here. Jeninsky (8) is badly handicapped whilst Wigram’s Turn (12) definitely needs further. Honey Monster (11) can’t beat Great Charm on the form is another to oppose.

Summary

This is a very open handicap and several have claims. I will be having a small saver each way on Wise Melody who despite a high draw is flying at home and has looked classy on her last two starts. She is the one to take from the race regardless of how she runs.
Four of these appeal most for me and from that York race I’m keen on Spitfire and Carleton who has the profile to suggest they are open to further improvement when the forecasted rain arrives. They are each way bets.

However Spanish Bounty looks a horse on the up and his Haydock performance rates really well for me. He is progressing in the right direction and has a really good attitude. I think his 2nd to Wingbeat was a strong performance and he is one I want to be with here.

However my overall preference is for TAWAASH who I feel can give Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum two wins out of two here at the meeting and follow in the footsteps of Smookh who won this race last year for the same connections.
He showed plenty of dash at Ascot and still had the majority in trouble 2f out. He petered out in the final furlong but he has a really good attitude and this drop in trip and class can pay dividends to him. He won’t mind the rain and looks a strong each way bet to me.

Selection: TAWAASH (E/w) - 9/10

Savers: Spanish Bounty, Carleton, Spitfire & Wise Melody (all Ew)

2:35 Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Cherry Hinton Stakes (Group 2)

Its hard to gauge how hot a Cherry Hinton this is and most of the runners here are just maiden winners or ones who have won their maiden and struggled in group company.

Ahla Wasahl didn’t run that green on its debut and filled 5th position in what was a fair maiden. However she did improve next time and won with a good bit to spare on the all weather. Shaken up with 2f to go she asserted in good style. This is a big step up in class however.

Art Princess was a good 2nd on debut and chased home the highly regarded Danehill Destiny. Improving for that run she then won her maiden but despite Sea Of Leaves (5th) winning next time the form has been let down. She ran okay at Ascot coming 7th and had Please Sing in behind on that occasion but I’m not really taken by her.

Heart Shaped was another to win its maiden well but she was a huge disappointment in the Queen Mary. She does shape as if 6f would suit better but she does need to improve.

Kerry’s Requiem is gradually improving and having found 5f too sharp on many occasions she upped her game to win in a strongly run 5f race at Windsor last time. She has been crying out for 6f and whilst the Channon team appear to have better chances in this I wouldn’t be surprised to see her run a big race.

Lucky Leigh was hugely impressive at Redcar but that was a bit of a shock. She did improve to be a narrowly beaten 4th in the Queen Mary and connections feel she would have won had she raced on the stands side. Se has shown much improved form on the gallops and is a classy filly. This 6f should suit well and connections are quietly optimistic.

Mrs Kipling definitely is an interesting one, she was green on debut and was an unlucky 2nd but she looked top class winning at Lingfield next time. Always cruising she quickened up in really good style stretching away from her rivals. Stablemate Shyrl is bang upsides her on the gallops and you would struggle to split them apart. That filly was just in front of Lucky Leigh at Ascot and on that line Mrs Kipling shouldn’t be too far away.

Please Sing is another one of Mick’s trio in the race and she made a good debut winning at Leicester when heavily supported. The form has been let down lately however and she struggled to stay with Lucky Leigh on the gallops the other morning. 6f may be a tad far for her as well and she is the one I least fancy of the Channon trio.

Sea Of Leaves completes what looks an ordinary line up to be honest and she has ground to find on Art Princess on their Nottingham run and her Salisbury win ties her in about level with Please Sing. That form doesn’t quite look good enough for me.

Summary

Not a vintage Cherry Hinton by any means and for me I think its best to concentrate on two horses. Mick Channon’s Lucky Leigh was undoubtedly unlucky with the draw at Ascot and did look as if 6f would suit but for me there is no guarantee she will stay 6f and the overnight rain forecasted will not suit her. In fact I’m told if it’s soft ground she won’t run.
Kerry’s Requiem providing there is 8 runners would be my each way in the race and I like the way she keeps battling in her races. She is a tough little filly and could go well in this.
However Simon Callaghan is doing well with his 2yo’s and MRS KIPLING looks a decent sort. She won with plenty in hand at Lingfield and won’t mind the ground either way. She looks the type to be better at 6f and is the one to beat having worked very well with Shyrl.

Selection: MRS KIPLING (9/10) (E/w)

Saver: Kerry’s Requiem (e/w)

3:10 UAE Hydra Properties Falmouth Stakes (Group 1) (Fillies & Mares)

A decent and competitive Falmouth Stakes with plenty of leading chances here.

Darjina is reported as not wanting the ground too fast today and the daughter of Zamindar is definitely not a totally confirmed runner as of yet. She has been performing really well of late and her 2nd in the Queen Anne certainly looks the best form on offer here. She is surely to play a competitive role if given the all clear to run.

Finsceal Beo was just behind Darjina on that occasion and won’t mind the rain to get into the ground. Subsequently disappointing in the Pretty Polly she suggested a strong and stiff 10f was against her. She has been working very well at home and connections remain upbeat she can play a big role here on a course that will suit. With or without Darjina in the race she is likely to go close.

Heaven Sent is certainly progressing and her presence adds more depth to this contest. She has been performing nicely on the gallops at home and being by Pivotal any rain should suit her. She gets further than this trip so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ryan urge her forwards a little sooner than ideal, to try and turn this into a test of stamina. She is certainly going in the right direction and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her go close here.

Kasumi has done well for her connections this season and rounded off with a good win at Pontefract, but this is severely tougher and she needs to step up on previous performances if she were to get competitive here.

Lady Gloria is another model of consistency and she got her just deserves for some consistent efforts when controlling a 9f fillies race at Epsom. Again I would expect her to go forwards early here but this will certainly be hotter than she has competed in before.

Majestic Roi has not been in the same standard of form this season as she was last year but there was more encouragement to be gained from her 4th at Ascot. She looks to be coming back to form at home but she has it to do to turn tables on Heaven Sent and shapes as if 10f may be more suitable now.

Seachange looked unsuited by a sprint trip last time and could step up here but she does need to improve on the raw form. Briseida looks to have a better profile for the International runners and there was plenty to like about the way she stayed on to score last time in group 2 company. A place is not out of all possibilities today.

Hip is the 2nd of three Cheveley Park Stud runners her but despite a promising 3rd last time she looks well and truly out of her depth in this company and is more likely to be assisting with the pace.

Infallible came back to form at Ascot last time and the rain makes the ground ideal for her but I do have my doubts over whether she truly wants a 1m or could be better dropped in trip, ability wise she is probably the best of the 3yo candidates but with the likes of Darjina and Heaven Sent in the line up I’m pretty sure her stamina will truly be tested here.

Love In Dubai represents the old faithful Clive Britain who has surprised here but she has too much to do to get competitive.

Nahoodh completes the line up and after a luckless run in the Guineas she was poor in the Irish Guineas and the Coronation Stakes. Last time she was ridden too handily and it didn’t suit her. I would expect the hold up tactics to be reemployed here today but forecasted rain will not do her any favours and I’m not sure she is a filly that takes too much racing. I would expect her to be in the mix here but much of that will depend on how they ride her.

Summary

A decent Falmouth Stakes and much will depend on whether Darjina takes her place. If she lines up she has the best form and would clearly take the world of beating as she just looks a touch classier than her opposition.

Failure to line up should give this to Heaven Sent, Infallible and Finsceal Beo and with plenty of pace options in the race this could develop into a stamina searching race which would rule out Infallible’s claims.
Finsceal Beo is certainly one to consider but she lacks a tactical turn of foot and that is what turns me to HEAVEN SENT. The Stoute trained filly is still very progressive and has been going nicely on the gallops in Newmarket for some time. This looks a good position for her and she could be suited with a strong pace bringing stamina into play. I like that she has each way value here but I must admit, if Darjina lines up she will be playing for 2nd at best.

Selection: DARJINA 9/10 – if non runner – HEAVEN SENT (8/10) E/W

Saver: Finsceal Beo

3:45 Strutt & Parker E B F Maiden Stakes (Class 2)

A cracking juvenile maiden and the majority of these have been showing some really good form on the gallops of late.

Cloudy Start has been going well at home for some time and has a really good attitude. He brushed aside the fair Kings Troop in a recent piece of work and is value for much more than the 3/4l difference on that occasion. The majority of Henry’s will improve for an outing but he suggests he could be a bit better than the average.

Combat Zone is easily one of the more sharper types in the Godolphin camp and he worked in impressive style last week taking a couple of lengths out of the highly regarded Hajoum. He has been working really well of late and showed a really smart turn of foot under Kerrin McEvoy the other morning. Having previously worked clear of Khor Dubai he looks a classy type and should be on the premises.

Derbaas is another nice type but he is definitely one for further and the run will bring him on.

That can probably be said about Holyrood but his work with Zicanto has been pleasing and his companions performance on Friday at Sandown was certainly very encouraging. Holyrood certainly has the foundations there to be a nice type and he breezed up in good style the other morning. Similar to Zicanto and a big run is anticipated.

Makhaaleb is a nice type according to the Barry Hill’s team and they think he could potentially be a listed type but that yards juveniles have needed their first outings this season. He is marginally preferred to Millharbour who is one for 1m races and will be more of a 3yo.

Topolski and Soul City have fair bits of form and experience will count for something, but this will be much tougher than their debut’s and there are some really nice types in this. They are best watched.

Andrew Balding’s expect a big run from Swindler and he wasn’t unfancied when he was due to make his debut in the Chesham at Royal Ascot. He refused to go in the stalls on that occasion but reports suggest he has done alot of work since then and is in much better form. He should give a good account of himself in this.

Whispering Angel is reported to be a bit like City Leader whom turned out to be a decent juvenile last season for this yard but I’m told the run will bring this on and that another furlong wouldn’t go amiss.

Summary

A really promising maiden and one for the video tape as I would expect quite a few winners to emerge from this race in the coming weeks. Cloudy Start, Combat Zone, Holyrood & Swindler look the ones to concentrate on today and Cloudy Start has looked fairly streetwise on the gallops of late.
I just feel he may get done by something with a bit more raw ability today and whilst Swindler and Combat Zone are reportedly future group horses I just feel HOLYROOD could be the best option here. There wouldn’t be too much between him and Zicanto on the gallops and his work companion wasn’t just visually impressive on Friday but put up a time suggesting he wasn’t far off top draw.
This looks a similar type of race and Holyrood looks a really nice sort at home. With his homework looking solid I would expect him to fair best of the Newmarket runners and take this from Swindler and Combat Zone.

Selection: HOLYROOD (7/10) E/W

Savers: Swindler, Combat Zone

To be continued

All the best
Chris

Last edited:
4:20 Xplor Maiden Stakes (Class 3)

A fair older horses maiden which looks to concern around 5 of these.

Meydan City is no superstar despite his price tag and had been working with Happy Boy and Fairmile prior to only a fair debut. He has been a bit more encouraging of late but is by no means a Godolphin superstar and I wouldn’t be rushing to back him today.

Eqbaal looks one of those horses who could just keep on meeting one and whilst he has been unfortunate to come up against a couple of nice types in his last two races he does appear to be rather one paced at the business end and that has been counting against him, and is likely to do so again today.

Hall Hee did encourage on debut and she shaped as if this longer trip would be more suitable this afternoon. The Tregoning yard have had a fairly quiet season but she looks to have claims here.

King O’The Gypsies has not been seen since his highly promising 4th in a decent maiden at the Craven meeting and Daraahem, Checklow, Savarain, and Seattle Storm have all boosted that form at some point. Like the majority of all Roger Charlton’s runners they always come on a ton for their debut efforts and he looks a very nice galloping type. He will possibly be better over 12f in time but does give the impression he is above average and there have been some encouraging vibes coming out the yard as well.

Woodcutter is another whom has shown considerable form on the gallops at home and looked in very good order last week. A close 3rd on his reappearance at Windsor he ran rather green before staying on with a decent degree of promise on that occasion. I would expect further improvement this time and any ease in the ground should suit him given he is by a decent soft ground stallion in Daylami.

Summary

A few nice late maturing types in here but the two to concentrate on are King O’The Gypsies and Woodcutter who have both shown decent form in respectable maidens which are working out well. The former represents a good in form yard that have their fair degree of winners and I was really taken by him on debut. Woodcutter is another who has a really nice look about him and I would expect to see him getting involved here.
It’s very close between the pair and at 3/1 and 4/1 I will probably back both each way. However I just feel there was a bit more to come from KING O’THE GYPSIES and he gets the marginal vote today.

Selection: KING O’THE GYPSIES (8/10)

Saver: Woodcutter

4:55 Kathy Dennison Birthday Handicap (Class 3)

A fair race this for the grade and there are a few hopefuls.

Kings Point is here to win to try and sneak in at the bottom of the Bunbury Cup weights but that looks unlikely given he still needs a good few to come out. He done it in good style last time and is still progressive and looks a likely player but under top weight it won’t be terribly easy.

Habsham has conditions to suit today and is a horse that has had his excuses but I just feel he doesn’t give everything nowadays and he isn’t always one to trust. I wouldn’t want to leave him out of calculations but I wouldn’t be chasing him off the top of a cliff.

Burnbrake is another to consider and looks in good form and done a scintillating piece of work on Saturday morning. This mile is ideal for him and he has really impressed in recent work. I can see a good deal of improvement from him today and he is very well drawn from stall 8 to run a big race.

The other to keep an eye out for is Marajaa and Willie Musson’s charge has been subject to some impressive work vibes in the past two weeks. He comes back well handicapped this season and he does go well here including a decent show in this last season. My main worry for him would be his high draw and he wouldn’t want much more rain either. But that all said he shouldn’t be written off.

Summary

An open handicap and the four above I will be including in some little cross bets as they all represent value.

Kings Point and Marajaa are two I respect from decent yards but high draws here don’t really go and that’s what swings me to BURNBRAKE. He done a really exciting piece of work on Saturday morning and when 4th over 7f last time he gave the impression he could step up that form over a slightly longer trip. James Toller is a trainer I have much admiration for and his 4th at Sandown is looking very solid form at present. The handicapper has left him be off 72 and I firmly believe from stall 8 he could have sneaked in nicely here. He is one of my main each way bets of the day.

Selection: BURNBRAKE (10/10) E/W

Saver: Kings Point, Habsham & Marajaa (E/w)

Very much appreciated Chris - glad to see we have the same very-short list for most of these races :)

Have wimped out of going today due to the rain, will go tomorrow and Friday tho, when I hope to meet up with Crazyhorse

Blooming 'eck, Chris.:eek: That's some write up. Best of luck with your selections I hope a few of them win you a few quid! :cool:

NB there are quite a few NRs among the horses picked for the comp, entrants might like to have another look!

Good stuff, Chris.

The weather and an unattractive card means I stay at home today. No great confidence in any particular fancy. Certainly not a high stakes day for me.

Last edited:
"Darjina is reported as not wanting the ground too fast today"

Surely too soft? Fast ground they wouldn't see which way she went.

I noticed that too - might keep her price a bit bigger than otherwise LOL

Whoever was doing RP spotlights was a bit late on the job I think - a lot for the card weren't up yet last night when I went to bed shortly after midnight - they usually are

Quote: Chris Beek
"However Spanish Bounty looks a horse on the up and his Haydock performance rates really well for me. He is progressing in the right direction and has a really good attitude. I think his 2nd to Wingbeat was a strong performance and he is one I want to be with here".

50/1plus on Betfair. Amazing stuff!

Aside from a potential finger-burner with Meydan City, some excellent pointers ~ surprised you didn't go nap on Nahoodh for old time's sake Chris! Suffice it to say that I'll be carrying around £100 in readies to settle up when next we meet.

Back