Next Years Classics

Gamla Stan

At the Start
We're starting to get into the season of juicy two year old group races where the Classic picture for next year becomes less cloudy.

I was just wondering if anyone had any fancies at this stage of the year? I know it was about now or a bit earlier when me and Warbs were discussing Natagora.

One I've spotted for the 2000 Guineas at a price is Willie Haggas's Triple Aspect who has won both starts this term. He won his maiden at Sandown in a good time and then went on to win a novice event at Bath on Saturday evening, both wins were very comfortable. He has an entry in the Mill Reef in a few weeks which is a signal of connections intentions (owned by Harry Findlay who won't want them to muck about with the horse). Both his wins have been in very decent times too on my ratings in a year where I haven't found anything staggering amongst the two year old crop.

My only concern is whether he'd stay a mile but I'm prepared to take a punt at 66/1 with Ladbrokes.

True, it's probably asking a bit too much for him to get a mile but stranger things have happened and 66/1 was too tempting.

With the 10f division being absolute gash the last thing we need this flat season is a poor Dewhurst. That would turn Champions Day into a washout.

Some interesting types entered this week at Doncaster and of course the National Stakes is on Sunday at The Curragh.

Cityscape is a superb specimen of a horse. On just seeing him I loved him - and had I not been working I'd have taken all the 11/10 that I could find about such an amazing animal at Salisbury last week. He duly hacked up by 9l, easily, so was value for far more. The animal is a beast - he's huge, but bizarrely for such a large horse doesn't look at all backward or weak. He will improve tenfold over the winter and is an immensely exciting prospect. The one question you would have to have is how well he'd handle Epsom, being so large - although he's not lumbersome or ungainly for an animal his size.

Fallen in love with Highland Glen myself and in the fillies department I think Channon has the real deal in Light Dubai whilst Rainbow View is one I really have been impressed with in her work.

Irish National Stakes:

Arazan
Born To Be King
Broad Meaning
Dark Humour
Drumbeat
Four Star General
Gan Amhras
Gluteus Maximus
Hail Caesar
Indian Ocean
Intense Focus
Kamado
Mastercraftsman
Masterofthehorse
Rip Van Winkle
Sawtooth Mountain
Sea Of Marmara
Set Sail
Shaweel
Westphalia

Any prices available for National Stakes?

Should be great to see Mastercraftsman and Arazan.

Cashmans were going 4/9 the O'Brien stable and 2/1 Arazan but not sure that means much coming from them.

Triple Aspect runs tomorrow in the 1.20 Chantilly. No idea what price he'll be, anything above 3/1 and I'll probably play although I want to do a bit more homework on the French bunch.

Rainbow View incredibly impressive at Doncaster, I don't think the term "pissed up" has ever been so apt.

Anybody any thoughts on the Cole trained Abbeyside staying a mile or so in time?

Won the traditionally hot Prix Yacowlef on debut (previous winners include Miswaki, River Dancer, Common Grounds, Goldneyev, Machiavellian, Pas De Reponse, New Girlfriend and Beauty Is Truth) and was 2nd at evs in a group race back in France last time out.

Needs to improve and Danehill Dancer as sire worries me a bit but with improvement I think he can be in the shake up next year.

They have to be tougher than tough to survive Cole's regime and come out sane, sound and not sour ~ he gallops the hell out of them even early on in their 2yo season and his training methods are very hard on horses.

He managed to eff up Strategic Prince between 2 and 3 (and also managed to eff up New Seeker by using him to train SP). The horse might have won or at least been placed in the Derby with another trainer, instead of which he just regressed in the way so many Cole horses do

He managed to eff up Strategic Prince between 2 and 3 (and also managed to eff up New Seeker by using him to train SP). The horse might have won or at least been placed in the Derby with another trainer, instead of which he just regressed in the way so many Cole horses do

He's not on his own.....

River Proud had a lucky escape then - still has the potential to win a Group 1 despite owner´s insistence on taking in the Derby.

Prices for the National Stakes on Sunday.

Mastercraftsman 5/6
Arazan 6/4
Shaweel 10/1
Indian Ocean 20/1
Intense Focus 16/1
Set Sail 40/1
Drumbeat 50/1
Sea Of Marmara 100/1

Freemantle is also down to run in the 7 furlong maiden on the same card. A very interesting colt.

Rosy Mantle should be worth watching. She broke the juvenile 6flg course record at Great Leighs last night fto in nice style, and being by Daylami is bred to get a lot further

Back