Next Years Classics

When are the better Godolphin 2 year olds due out Chris? Time is pushing on...

There aint many left to run to be honest and the better ones have run all bar 3. There is a really nice 2yo who has been working with the 3yo's but I'm not sure when he will run.

There aint many left to run to be honest and the better ones have run all bar 3. There is a really nice 2yo who has been working with the 3yo's but I'm not sure when he will run.

Imagine there will be plenty of purchases or tranfers over the winter then as I cannot see a Guineas horse that they have right now unless I have missed one.

There is, but I'm not naming it until its in the 5 days, put it like this. The likes of With Interest, Gravitas and Meydan City can't get near it, thats all I'm saying.

If anyone wants any notes on the Godolphin shed load in at the sale, feel free to email me, I will be as honest with what myself or my guys have seen, but don't really want to mention about some of them on a public forum.

Nevermind about Zacinto or anything else - it is not the superb physical specimen Cityscape is. The form of the Salisbury maiden to me is nearly irrelevant - it was not only the manner of his victory, but the immense physical scope of the beast that appeals most. This horse looks to me like a monster.

Afraid Cityscape looked anything but a world beater today! Hate to say I told you so but as I said before, following horses because of visually impressive wide margin duck breaking successes is fraught with danger.

Last edited:
Just seen Rainbow View for the first time in the paddock, she is a pretty small type....not really the type to progress.

Afraid Cityscape looked anything but a world beater today! Hate to say I told you so but as I said before, following horses because of visually impressive wide margin duck breaking successes is fraught with danger.

He only got beat by one horse, and pulled away from a group 2 winner in Orizaba and On Our Way who was luckless in a listed race last time.

He'll win group races, but he'll probably struggle to win a Guineas or Derby.

Filly done it well and battled on gamely, will take a good one to beat her in a classic despite her lack of scope.

He only got beat by one horse, and pulled away from a group 2 winner in Orizaba and On Our Way who was luckless in a listed race last time.

True, but I think a pattern is developing with Orizaba (himself an extremely impressive winner of his maiden), inasmuch as he has two ways of running - very well or very badly. Probably a causalty of the controversially watered ground maybe.

The horse that did beat Cityscape had a terrible start, needed to be manoeuvred through his field yet won going away.

He'll win group races, but he'll probably struggle to win a Guineas or Derby.

Maybe, though for me he looked one paced, a bit of a relentless galloper, the sort of horse who may always find one (with some toe) too good. I would want to see him prove up to taking a Group contest before I could part with any cash on him. Given today's time he clearly appreciates an end to end gallop and could be left wanting in tactical affairs, unless of course Drowne/Charlton elect to set their own pace with him.

They discussed the filly after the race and commented on her size but were quick to point out that Miesque was also small, and that size is no guarantee of Group ability, nor a hinderance to training on and reaching the top.

I've told you before, but I'll tell you again, #6 - I loved Cityscape when I saw him going to post, not because he was visually impressive at winning a maiden.

He did little wrong today, in fact if anything was a bit green still and was caught. Amazingly for such a big two year old he still looks leggy, next year after he has filled out he will be some beast, even if not a Classic horse - he will undoubtedly want further than the Guineas trip and the contours of Epsom are unlikely to suit an animal of his stamp. When he matures he should be something else - let's face it, few juveniles of his size would be forward enough to be running, let alone capable of posting not only winning form but being beaten 3/4l in a group 2. FWIW I can't see the winner beating him again, he looks to have little physical scope to me.

I would defy anyone to see Cityscape in the flesh and not be impressed with the superb physical specimen he is.

Last edited:
If Cityscape gets beat in the Royal Lodge, I'll ....................

I would imagine there'll be very few doing their shopping in Tesco tommorrow! :D

In fairness, Cityscape ran a nice race. He really is a giant of a horse who has an awful lot of filling out to do. He travelled quite well (a shade keen perhaps) but was just outpaced by a more precocious 2yo with a superior turn of foot. I find it hard to see him being a Classic prospect (more of a Leger horse than anything else I suppose!) but he remains a nice prospect over middle distances next year.

I would imagine there'll be very few doing their shopping in Tesco tommorrow! :D

In fairness, Cityscape ran a nice race. He really is a giant of a horse who has an awful lot of filling out to do. He travelled quite well (a shade keen perhaps) but was just outpaced by a more precocious 2yo with a superior turn of foot. I find it hard to see him being a Classic prospect (more of a Leger horse than anything else I suppose!) but he remains a nice prospect over middle distances next year.

I was actually gonna say;

I'll be amazed !!!!

However people asummed it would be to do with "every little helps".

I actually done my brains on him today so pretty gutted, I still can't believe he got beat. Mark Johnston really is a nemesis for me.

Must be every chance he will be turning up at Longchamp on Arc day.

I would have thought the same, Gal. I remember O'Brien mentioning the Lagardere as a possible for Mastercraftsman after the National though.

There's not much of a gap between the Lagardere and Dewhurst though, so perhaps Mastercraftsman will be kept for the Dewhurst. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rip Van Winkle run in the BC Juvenile.

Surely a run in the Juvenile or Juvenile Turf would be a kick in the teeth to RVW's supporters. He seldom runs his best 2yo in that race - think Johannesburg is about the only one and he was very very precocious.

His joint top-rated RPR's that year where Chevalier and Tomahawk, he also had Brian Boru and Hold That Tiger just 2lbs less.

It appears that year he sent his best ones but where they ever likely to progress into 3yos? Running at the BC kind of rules out a positive 3yo campaign.

Don't think we have seen any Classic winners there at the Curragh but a good gutsy performance by the winner, who travelled easily like the best horse in the race.

That was my first impression as well, Chris. In fairness to Sea The Stars, he travelled very nicely through the race today (despite being a touch keen) and the ground was probably not ideal. He's still quite unfurnished and very much the type to improve next year IMO (was no surprise to hear Oxx say he's putting him away).

Beat Seven is a lovely filly and is very highly thought of by connections. I know some of the owners and I was with them all at Ascot on Saturday when she came 4th in the Meon Valley Stud Fillies Mile. Richard Hughes was very complimentary about her. She is always very keen early in her races so is sometimes difficult to settle. Richard rode her well and fingers crossed there is alot more to come from her next year. I understand she will be rested now until her prep races for the 1000 Guineas.

Interesting idea going on there - looking at her breeding (by Beat Hollow) and the fact that she's already running over a mile as a 2yo, I'd say things will probably be happening a shade too fast for her in the Guineas.

Don't think we have seen any Classic winners there at the Curragh but a good gutsy performance by the winner, who travelled easily like the best horse in the race.

I was impressed with Chintz's time but doubt she'll be good enough to win a Guineas and chances are she'll only compete in the Irish version.

O'Brien was interview by Willoughby and co on ATR tonight, and while putting emphasis on the fact that he had to prove it on the track, there was little doubt after listening to him as to how highly they rate Rip Van Winkle. Looks like he goes for the Dewhurst and Mastercraftsman goes to France on Sunday.

I will go for Pursuit Of Glory in the Cheveley Park, step back in trip is a slight worry but I was really impressed with her at Dundalk.

In the Middle Park I think Bushranger is opposable, small type who is unlikely to be improving. I like the Gosden horse Huntdown for this.

Back