Nicholls Big Guns

Guest_

At the Start
From Sporting Life:

NICHOLLS HAPPY WITH GOLDEN TRIO

The wet weather may be playing havoc with the height of the Flat season, but champion jumps trainer Paul Nicholls is already plotting a route to the Cheltenham Gold Cup for his three major hopes.
Reigning champion Denman has reportedly summered well and although he has not yet been given any severe tests on the Ditcheat gallops, the early signs are that he is as good as ever.
Nicholls admits nothing is set in stone, but hopes to have him ready for a return to action in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury, a race in which he was hugely impressive last season.
"It has been well documented that Denman came back to us quite big and he is just doing light cantering at the moment," said Nicholls.
"He has been doing everything we've asked of him and I couldn't be happier with him at the moment.
"We will take our time and the main thing at the moment is just getting the miles into him and we won't rush him back into fast work.
"Our first main target is the Hennessy but as with all these horses, nothing is certain at the moment."
Kauto Star, winner of the previous year's Gold Cup, could only chase Denman's shadow up the Cheltenham hill in March but Nicholls believes it is far too soon to be writing him off yet.
"Kauto is in really good order and looks absolutely fantastic," the trainer continued.
"Again, there are no definite plans of where he will go but it's likely he will start off in the Betfair Chase at Haydock and what I would really like to do with him is win the King George at Kempton for a third time.
"Hopefully Denman and Kauto won't meet before the Gold Cup again this season, but it's a long year and a lot can happen between now and then."
Neptune Collonges gave Nicholls a memorable 1-2-3 in the Festival showpiece and his ultimate aims this term will be a return to Cheltenham and to attempt a hat-trick in the Guinness Gold Cup at Punchestown.
"Neptune will probably be ready fairly early and again, I don't want him to clash with the other lads," Nicholls added.
"There is the James Nicholson Chase at Down Royal and the Charlie Hall at Wetherby so there are plenty of good races for him.
"The Gold Cup at Cheltenham and another trip to Punchestown will be the main targets for him."

TINGLE TARGET FOR MASTER

Champion Chase hero Master Minded is reported to have taken the return to training in his stride, although he is unlikely to be seen back on a racecourse until December.
The French recruit improved at a rate of knots last season, opening his British account in a handicap chase at Sandown before going on to Cheltenham glory.
He was beaten by Voy Por Ustedes on his final start of the season at Aintree, but that was over two and a half miles and Nicholls plans to return him to the minimum trip for the Tingle Creek at Sandown.
"Master Minded is back and cantering well, but he probably won't run before the Tingle Creek as there is nothing much for him," said the Ditcheat handler.
Stablemate Twist Magic was the Tingle Creek hero last season and although he disappointed on his next couple of outings, he ended the season on a bright note by winning at the Punchestown Festival.
"Twist Magic also seems in good form and at the moment, the race I have in mind for him is the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter," Nicholls continued.
"Takeroc would not be too far behind those two either to be honest but there are no targets for him yet."
There are few major races Nicholls has not won but the one big prize to elude him so far is the Champion Hurdle.
He is hoping exciting novices Celestial Halo and Pierrot Lunaire can bridge the gap to give him a strong hand in next year's renewal.
"Celestial Halo came back in July and seems to be coming along nicely," added Nicholls.
"He stays well and probably wants two and a half miles, but a lot of recent Champion Hurdle winners have stayed that trip so hopefully, he can develop to that sort of level.
"Pierrot Lunaire could also go down the Champion Hurdle route and he is a possible for a juvenile race at the Old Roan Chase meeting Aintree in October.
"Oslot and Gwanako are possibles for the Old Roan Chase itself, while Poquelin and Tatenen could run in novice chases that weekend."
Beaten Arkle Trophy favourite Noland is likely to start off in handicap company this coming season, with the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham under consideration.

And Willie Mullins's...

MULLINS HAS FLY IN THE OINTMENT

Willie Mullins has highlighted Hurricane Fly has a horse to follow this season and believes he should be capable of making his mark in some of the calendar's top novice hurdles.
The four-year-old showed smart form on the level for Jean-Claude Rouget in France, including when beating the top-class Literato in Listed company.
He has proved just as effective since switching his sights to obstacles, winning two of his three hurdling starts and finishing second in a Grade One event at Auteuil.
"Hurricane Fly has done well over hurdles so far and as we didn't run him until May, he still qualifies as a novice for this coming season which is handy," said Mullins.
"All the top novice races in Ireland and England are open to him and I would imagine he could end up in something like the Ballymore Properties Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival."
Mullins also had news of some of his better known stable stars, although Grand National third Snowy Morning and smart hurdler Glencove Marina have yet to return to his County Carlow base.
"Snowy Morning will come back to me at the end of the month and he has being doing some light work at home already," continued Mullins.
"He will obviously have an entry in the Grand National at Aintree again, but I'm not sure where we will start him off just yet.
"Glencove Marina is recovering well, but he is just doing some walking and trotting at the moment so he is not back in full work just yet."
Champion Bumper winner Cousin Vinny will be going over hurdles this year, while a couple of his classy stablemates may be sent over the larger obstacles for the first time
"I'm looking forward to getting Cousin Vinny running over hurdles and he will be seen in the autumn sometime," said the trainer.
"The Supreme Novices' Hurdle looks the race for him at this stage, but it's a long way off.
"Ebaziyan has been schooled over fences and it seems to have helped him, so there is every chance he could go chasing this season.
"Fiveforthree hasn't schooled over fences yet, but he makes a good shape over a hurdle and is bred for chasing so that is the plan with him also."

From the Sporting Life

Denman is still "incredibly fat" after his summer break according to trainer Paul Nicholls.
The Cheltenham Gold Cup winner returned to work between 50kg and 60kg above his ideal fighting weight.
And Nicholls says the horse they call 'The Tank' is having a tough time shedding the excess pounds.
He told The Racing Post: "Denman has always been a hard horse to get fit, but this year it's worse than ever.
"The problem started when he had a month off after the Gold Cup, and then he got very fat over the summer. Despite being back in work six weeks, he's still incredibly fat.
"We've got plenty of time before his reappearance in the Hennessy but, to be honest, he wouldn't be ready to race before then."
Nicholls is in no rush to decide who will ride Denman when he does reappear at Newbury on November 29.
He added: "Sam got on brilliantly with Denman in the Gold Cup, but everyone is aware that Ruby is my stable jockey.
"However, there's no point my deciding at this early stage whether Sam or Ruby will ride him in the Hennessy, as so much can happen that it's best to leave my options open for now."

It will be great to see Paul Nicholls horses in Irish races going forward. A bit of competition is no harm and might force the bigger trainers to run two of their good horses in races rather than avoiding each other. I think it can only be positive. I wonder was that a Finlay idea?

It will be great to see Paul Nicholls horses in Irish races going forward. A bit of competition is no harm and might force the bigger trainers to run two of their good horses in races rather than avoiding each other. I think it can only be positive. I wonder was that a Finlay idea?

I think it suits Nicholls to run more horses in Ireland simply because he has so many good ones, its a good way of avoiding clashing with each other before Cheltenham.

Easy to see him clean up in the conditions chases here.

The Euro:sterling exchange rate makes a big difference too. A €30k conditions race was only worth £20k this time last year but is now worth £24k and that pays for the travel expenses.

From SL:

Denman is set to undergo tests after the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner was found to be suffering from an irregular heartbeat.
Trainer Paul Nicholls has virtually ruled out Newbury's Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup on November 29 as a possible starting point for the eight-year-old and a Christmas return appears more likely.
He said: "I've not been happy with Denman ever since he came back into work in mid-July.
"He's been very lethargic, not looking good and he lost a bit of weight rapidly, so we had him examined by Geoff Land and Buffy Shirley-Bevan, our vet.
"They found he is suffering from an irregular heartbeat, so he'll go to Newmarket next week for further examination and treatment," he told the Racing Post.
Denman is the 4-5 favourite with totesport for next year's Gold Cup following his seven-length beating of stablemate and previous winner Kauto Star in last season's blue riband event.

One Cool Cat came back and raced ok after his Guineas problem so maybe it wont be too serious.

My worry would be the amount of condition he has lost and his general demeanour.

You'd have to be pretty damn sure the problem was fixed before sending him back out to tank around for 3m.

Barnbrook Again developed a serious heart problem after winning the Champion Chase which eventually caused his retirement and of course Best Mate succumbed to a heart attack at Exeter. The Gold Cup also has a reputation for bottoming its winners, and it's looking unlikley that Denman will now be the same horse he was last season. I hope they can sort this out, but we have to be realistic despite the upbeat comments.

One Cool Cat came back and raced ok after his Guineas problem so maybe it wont be too serious.

My worry would be the amount of condition he has lost and his general demeanour.
He ran ok after the Guineas - wasn´t the horse he was before it though.

Nicholls openness to the press is to be applauded in my opinion.

Jim Bolger has a lot to learn. Very good of him to put this in the public domain, he could have just ignored it and said he won't be ready for the Hennessy.

Matt Chapman claims Nicholls just text him saying he was in his office till 12:30pm and if he wanted to ring to discuss Denman on air on Get On then he'd be happy to do so.

Can't applaud that enough.

Think Jim does the same?

At least Beckett said she was fit and well and punters shouldn't be put off backing her and she did run a very decent race.

Back