No group 1 win? You're go hurdling m'boy...

A strange decision. By my reckoning, the last time Cesare raced on going even on the soft side of good (ie, away from Ascot) was over two years ago when he finished stone last in the Challenge Stakes. The last time he actually ran on proper soft ground was in the 2006 Lincoln when he finished twelfth off a mark of 95! This is a horse who isn't entirely sound, needs fast ground, doesn't stay beyond a mile and isn't enjoying life. Hardly a candidate for a hurdling career imho.

I don't disagree with anything Rory says but, given the trainer's record with hurdlers, I'm willing to trust his judgement.

Fanshawe has trained two Champion Hurdle winners so, if he thinks Cesere can make a hurdler, who are we to tell him he's wrong?

For me, stamina is a funny issue with ex-Flat hurdlers. 1m2f is the rule of thumb, but some ex-milers stay really well and some 1m4f horses run like non-stayers. There's no real logic to it.

The horse has looked out of love with the game of late. Witness his latest run at Wolverhampton. If he can't cut it on the Flat, they should draw stumps with him, as Rory says, its hard to see him getting conditions that would play to his strengths too often during the winter.

At least no one has quoted a price for the Champion Hurdle. I would be against Cesare everytime over hurdles.

Bloody ridiculous decision. He's no hope of making a hurdler and even less of a chance of staying. Is it April 1st?!

The horse does settle ok so he could bluff a few falsely run small field races but no way he will do as well as the last chancer to go hurdling - whose name escapes me, he was 2nd in Millenarys ledger and won a handicap in Aintree on Grand National day a few years ago.

Wellbeing.

I say Wellbeing, but you're actually thinking of two horses, the other being Air Marshall.

Last edited:
Thank you. He is the closest example I can think of and in fairness he did better than most.

:lol: have a lie down then!!!! He was 4th behind Millenary in the following year's Jockey Club Stakes, if that helps!

This is a bit like the time I was trying to piece together things the morning after the night before I woke up next to the neigbours donkey. He doesnt stay 2m either....

Back