No group 1 win? You're go hurdling m'boy...

well, the question always is what else to do with the horse? not sure what to think myself as he is a huge favorite and I would hate to see something happen to him, but far better than just stuck in a field, with A1 treatment at fanshawes and something to keep the horse busy, and with a sense. we all know how tough it is to find a good home after racing, and there are literally thousands of horses queing up for that.

I did well out of punting Cesare when his star was in the ascendancy but he's looked to have lost his enthusiasm this season.

I hope the decision to put him over hurdles doesn't prove to be unnecessarily cruel.

Fanshawe knowS what he's doing re hurdlers - if he thinks the horse isn't going to be able to cope with the job or the horse downs tools on him then that will be the end of his hurdling career.

If you can show me better owners that the Thompsons, then get on. They do genuinely care about the horses and thoroughly enjoy them and if the gelding does take a fall and ends up dead having gone hurdling, then I'm afraid that's the nature of the Code, is it not? It can happen to any NH horse at any time - the game is inherently dangerous but, as has been picked over hundreds of times previously on this forum, the general concensus has always been that racehorses have an exceptionally nice life and being asked to race - either over obstacles or not - is the price we ask them to pay.

Hurdling may well not be CESARE's forte and if it isn't and he survives the test, then I'm sure he'll get rehomed sonewhere pretty pleasant. On the other hand, he may well enjoy the change and while it doesn't look like he would have the required stamina, you can never be absolutely certain!!:cool:

If you can show me better owners that the Thompsons, then get on. They do genuinely care about the horses and thoroughly enjoy them

Well said. And the same applies to the trainer and his wife. I had a small interest in a filly trained by James Fanshawe a while back and the wellbeing of their horses was always the paramount consideration.

Why shouldn't Cesare go hurdling? If it gives him a new lease of life that would be great but if he doesn't take to it I'm absolutely certain they won't persevere with him.

What's the biggie about trying hurdling (which Fanshawe said the horse had shown some gusto for at home)? If it's not that, then it could be eventing, showjumping, or, er, horseball, to think of just three of loads of non-racing options. TBs are bred to be active, so if he shows an aptitude for continuing activity, then let the dog see the rabbit!

I'm not appalled by the concept, nor do I think the connections are being cruel. I simply think it an odd choice given what we know about the horse.

I second Rory; I do not think sending Cesare hurdling is cruel, or worry about him injuring himself. I just think it is a pointless exercise sending a horse over timber who appears to be eminently unsuitable for hurdling from what we've seen of him.

I accept connections know far more about the horse than me and if they think going hurdling is a good idea then it's not for me to argue. I do hope it revives the horse's enthusiasm. I just don't want to see a good horse set about a task it doesn't enjoy although I take on board that the connections would put an end to it if it didn't work.

Saw him work a couple of weeks ago with Song Of Songs over 10f and he burst well clear. His schooling has been very fluid and accurate and he is fully expected to make a winning debut over hurdles.

From the RP site:

HIGH-CLASS Flat recruit Cesare will be in action again over hurdles after putting up a promising debut at Doncaster on Saturday.

The Cheveley Park Stud-owned eight-year-old could make no further impression between the final two flights when beaten nine and three quarters length into third behind Alasi but it was a performance that gave his trainer hope for the future for this year's Queen Anne Stakes runner-up.
James Fanshawe said: "He has been outing cantering this morning and seems absolutely fine. He thoroughly enjoyed it and jumped really well.

"If it hadn't been Cesare you would have said he had made a perfectly satisfactory debut over hurdles and we'll judge him when we run again. We don't know where that will be yet but we will be looking for some decent ground from him."

Saw him work a couple of weeks ago with Song Of Songs over 10f and he burst well clear. His schooling has been very fluid and accurate and he is fully expected to make a winning debut over hurdles.
"Group 1 miler wins gallop against disappointing chaser" shocker, eh? I'm looking forward to his next run, if only to put this particular baby to bed. :p

Does a horse have to have won a G1 to be classified as a Group 1 horse? Would anyone disagree that Rip Van Winkle is a group 1 horse at 10f?

I very much doubt that Cesare would stay 2 miles, in any event his form tailed off so dramatically after the Queen Anne that you just have to suspect that he has had enough and deserves to be retired.

Back