Noel Meade's Stable

Let's face it, we've all expressed opinions in advance of races which would cause us considerable embarrassment if held up to scrutiny after the event.

*turns off the search function*

90% of trainers are creatures of habit and they generally follow a discernible pattern

and seasonal pattern too. Im not an obsessive about trends, but i feel that this is an entirely logical area

Its perfectly logical that some trainers will have their high and low periods throughout the season and i think its a major credit to the very top guys that they can remain so consistent

will Meade buck the usual trend with his stable? Not something i would bet on myself

I think Meade takes a fairly sensible view on behalf of his owners. He is quite prepared to have his horses ready for early and mid season races, and if they can stay fresh and sound for Cheltenham or the other festivals so be it.

Had he taken a more Cheltenham or bust approach he may well have had more festival winners but he would have won his owners a lot less prizemoney and races.

Maybe this approach also has some bearing on the dirth of top class chasers, or maybe not.

And that is the key, Mel.

NM is happy to move the season a little to the left on the timeline, and frankly I wish more would join him. Cheltenham is increasing akin to binge drinking, when we should be slowly appreciating slowly drunk wine.

Very true and nicely put. I suppose the extreme example is Twiston Davis, who will probably shut down his stables for the season soon with the "job done" sign nailed to the entrance

Originally posted by clivex@Dec 18 2007, 02:16 PM
Very true and nicely put. I suppose the extreme example is Twiston Davis, who will probably shut down his stables for the season soon with the "job done" sign nailed to the entrance
Actually it says "Job done ~ get off my land!"

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 17 2007, 01:42 PM
How many top class hurdlers (outside of novices) has Paul Nicholls had? How many (again, non-novice) Grade 1 hurdles has he won? Is that a black mark against him?
Exactly - I think we want to look here at what kind of horses people buy and for what purpose. To some extent we are not comparing like with like...

NH does very well with what he has - most of his aren't top notch esp the chasers and he doesn't tend to have VERY rich owners. He also has what would nowadays be seen as a quite tender attitude to his horses compared with many trainers - won't run them in the summer, won't overface them to omuch to pleae owners, and certainly won;t push them too far too soon. On the plus side of his win record, he can bring them back after layoffs, and keep them going much longer than others cf Geos ec. His richest owner Ogden got a bit ambitious with old age I think, and has gone now for putting a few with more aggressive trainers.

it has to be said NH has also lost owners for social reasons, nothing to do with how the horses are campaigned. he's very 'clubby'.

Nicanor (conqueror of Denman) is among the entries for the Durkan New Homes Novice Chase at Leopardstown

Indeed, although he hasn't run a lot of the better horses. Hopefully Nicanor will get him back going tomorrow!!

Back