Norton Anti Virus

Triptych

At the Start
Can someone possibly help me with Norton Anti Virus 2005? I've decided to change to Norton and have managed to install the 2005 Anti Virus software. I'm having problems completing the configuration wizard, the little box comes up saying its doing whatever, but it just won't complete the configuration. I've tried the Symantec website for help and was directed to a 'Knowledge Base' article, but the link didn't work. I'm now completely lost as to what to do. So before it knocks me over the edge (and I'm not far from it), and reinstall everything which is the only other thing I know how to do can someone please help me?

I tried to upgrade Norton AV several times last year, and my machine hung after a while each time.

So I'd also be grateful for a solution!

Evidently Symantec has got a really bad reputation for the reasons you state. You are certainly not alone. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it may be better to uninstall and perhaps try:

http://www.grisoft.com and look for AVG - they have a free version and it works brilliantly and so far we have not had a virus get through un noticed in 6 years of using it.

I personally would not use NORTONS if it was FREE!! its nothing but problems ...you will have one hell of a job trying to get it off your system too.... :eek: as it is deep in the registry.....

I use KASPERSKY personal pro......which is the dogs bollox of anti virus programmes its a Russian programme updates every hour as well..................

I hate to say it, but I reverted to Norton after the McAfee upgrade I bought and installed made the pc slower than QUIXALL CROSSETT. I've only got the 2004 version with upgrades added all the time, but so far (I know it's sod's law it'll all go wrong the minute I finish this!), it's been fine for me. It also took FOREVER to get rid of the McAfee, which was also buried in various Programs. (Thanks to this forum's techie knowhow, I culled the very last of it eventually!)

You HAVE Uninstalled the 2004 first, haven't you? It'll be a whole lot easier if you take that off your system before a new Install. I know that's a bit basic, forgive me!

I used to use Norton but after many problems I have changed to Avast which is free.
You can downlowd it for free from www.avast.com, it is great. I use ZoneAlarm as my firewall again free and Mozilla Firefox as my web browser rather than Internet Explorer which has too many holes in it and is vulnerable to lots of nasties.

Another one, that was recommended by my brothers programming teacher is AVG. I've had it for well over a year and have never had any problems. Best of all it's free. Just google it and download.

Don't you find boot-up to be a bit of an epic using Karspersky Merlin?

Zone Alarm pro now comes with anti-virus as well as firewall and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

FROM THE RACING POST

St Quinton appeals to Shakespeare camp

by Andrew Scutts (April 24)
MONKERHOSTIN'S owner Martin St Quinton on Sunday urged connections of Order of Merit rival Royal Shakespeare not to let the lure of £200,000 cloud their judgement ahead of the final leg of the BHB's competition at Sandown on Saturday.

With just two points separating the duo at the top of the leaderboard, the Betfred Celebration Chase is set to decide thisyear's OoM winner - though on Sunday St Quinton admitted he'd rather both horses didn't run.

"It would be desperately sad to see Royal Shakespeare - a hurdler - running in the Celebration Chase," he said.

"I hope he doesn't. In fact, I don't wanteither horse to run. If both race at Sandown, I certainly won't be there to see it."

On Sunday, having saddled Royal Shakespeare to finish sixth in the Scottish Champion Hurdle 24 hours earlier and return to the top of the OoM table, trainer Steve Gollings said: "I have been instructed by my owner John Webb to enter him in the Celebration Chase."

Philip Hobbs, trainer of Monkerhostin, is having to ponder a fourth start in six weeks for St Quinton's star.

The owner added: "If it wasn't for the Order of Merit, Monkerhostin would definitely have been put away by now. If the competition didn't exist, he might not have gone to Cheltenham last week, and he would certainly not be going to Sandown.

"Maybe the Order of Merit is backfiring slightly on the BHB. I feel that my hand is being forced slightly. It's a difficult one, as there is prize-money for stable staff, not just owner and trainer.”

However, he added: "Monkerhostin is the sort of horse the BHB would like to see win the Order of Merit, and I'd be thrilled if he was champion as it's not just the money but the prestige. He'd deserve it, as he's tried like hell over a variety of distances and ground."

Gollings, though, believes just as firmly that Royal Shakespeare "would be a worthy winner".

One option for connections is a private arrangement, whereby the £200,000 is divided between the two camps - giving both the chance to swerve this weekend's race, and St Quinton on Sunday signalled his interest in the idea.

However, BHB public affairs director Alan Delmonte said: "We'd want to see the Order of Merit come to a competitive conclusion, although we'd never condone horses running when they aren't capable of competing to win.

'We'd have a different view if the two horses chasing the crown were being campaigned out of their depth, but Royal Shakespeare and Monkerhostin are high-class horses who have cut the mustard throughout the season. If they're fit and well, why shouldn't they run on Saturday?"

Royal Shakespeare would need only to finish in front of his rival to secure £150,000 for Webb, £25,000 for Gollings and £25,000 for Gollings's staff.

Monkerhostin would have to finish fifth or better, provided he is in front of Royal Shakespeare, or, if his rival doesn'trun, seventh or better - or eighth to share first place. Both horses have already landed the £50,000 prizes for top hurdler and chaser.

ORDER OF MERIT
Royal Shakespeare 87 points; Monkerhostin 85; My Way De Solzen 67; Mister McGoldrick 62; Impek 52

The piece was posted on the correct thread ,but, as i am still on leper island, i have no responsibility for where my posts end up. :lol:

Originally posted by Honest Tom@Apr 24 2006, 09:30 AM
Don't you find boot-up to be a bit of an epic using Karspersky Merlin?

Zone Alarm pro now comes with anti-virus as well as firewall and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.
TOM no way mate its pretty well as normal as one can expect,on start up and obviously the instance of rebooting is minimal as there's very little need for it only on updates etc

It really is very good as I previously posted!!...............

I have on my p/c a cleaner of ALL Nortons rubbish which was as I stated something I would not have for free.

I'LL try and post it on here for those who have taken it off their p/c's but I think its in compressed form so you would need WINRAR to open it, on saying that you can download a free trial of WINRAR quite easy....

Derek - your response WAS under the Norton thread - that's where it appeared under mod control.

So accept it - deep breaths now - go steady - carefullll..... yes - you actually made a mistake.

Phew - OK now?

Songsheet,
Do you enjoy playing this silly game, grow up please.

I am at a disadvantage in that i can't see my posts until one of the thought police decide that it does not contain anything that is against the board rules.

So, if i do make a mistake, you are the only ones that can correct it, of course you won't do that, will you?

Honestly, paranoia rules for sure.

So that's confirmed for you Derek - we cannot move posts, all right?

There's no conspiracy, you just inadvertently posted under the wrong topic - check it out with Col!

Jeez, you'd think you'd be fecking grateful we don't just delete everything you post but no - to my knowledge not one of us has deleted anything from you since you were on Mod Control, even though you are downright rude.

Just don't hold your breath my tolerance is going to hold out for much longer....

Am I the only person who actually thinks Norton is good, I have never had any problems with it and ive never had any viruses either

Songsheet.
Having had my own Message Board i am well aware of what can be done, or not.

In this instance, lets say that i messed up and posted the article on the wrong thread, ok?

Notwithstanding that i am on Mod Control or that,because of that very fact i cannot edit or delete my post because of the time limits, i would have taken the following action.

Irrespective of my personal feelings toward the poster, i would have noticed, before allowing the post that it was being sent to the wrong Forum. I would then have not allowed the posting to go through and informed the poster by E-Mail or Private message of my actions and advised him/her to repost the Article on the appropriate Forum.

Easy peasy really.

As far as being rude is concerned, i treat as i find and as soon as you treat me with a modicum of respect i will be happy to recipricate.

Julie not quite true - acouple of personally offensive posts from Derek have not got through .

Back