Not a getting older thread but getting worried thread.

EC21

Conditional
Ok, this is a thread about getting worried about your health but being scared about doing something about it due to the current state of the NHS, and basically being a cowardly man re health and addressing it.

In about 1998 I worked with a guy called Frank in my manual labour days. I was in my 40s and he was late 50's. Anyway, he retired and me and my mate went to block pave his drive. Whilst we were there he was complaining about a pain in his side, he was putting a hot water bottle on it to ease the pain. Not kidding now, within a month he was in the hospital, on morphine, he had got terminal cancer and he died real quickly. I thought, bloody hell it can be all over just like that.

That memory really sticks with me and as we get older we get pains and sh*t that usually pass within a day or so. You wake up and something nawgs you through the day, but because I saw my good friend go through that, many times in past few years I get a pain, that maybe lasts for a couple of days, inside body pain, and think ..ffs am I getting the first signs of something like that?

Well obviously you get loads of sh&t like that, I am 68 now and live an unhealthy lifestyle. I smoke and am an alcoholic nowadays who drinks a lot of whisky, a lot. I have drunk a lot since 2016 when my life went to sh*t a bit, but before that, had never ever had an issue with drink.

Do you guys get these pains that go on for days?, inside body pains? I have one now, in my side, had it for a week, but I am scared to go near a doctor, like you can get near one anyway these days. I hate hospitals with a vengeance.

If I have something really bad like my friend Frank, wtf will they do to help me? The waiting lists for anything serious are mental. Are we all buggered if we get a serious illness now????

I will probably be ok in a day or two, but do any of you guys worry that if we do get something serious wrong with us, our NHS won't be able to help us any more?? I find I do worry that if now, you get cancer or whatever, you will not get help in time?

Last edited:
It's entirely natural, I think, to be increasingly conscious of your own health vulnerabilities as you get older but I would always advise to see a doc asap if you have any concerns.

The earlier anything is found the more chance of a better outcome.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who copes better with bad news the more info I have about it.

Put it this way. If you feel a (consistent-ish) pain and don't go see someone (no matter how long it takes to get the appointment(s)), there are a lot better chances it'll have an adverse effect at some point/further on than if you just leave it.

Easy to say, I know. Not so easy to act on, depending on your make-up.

Don't know what it's like in Derby, but down the road here I would get a (standard) doctor's appointment in around a week (for a seemingly non-critical concern, and anywhere from 2 -8 months for a hospital referral resulting from that - depending partially on whether the doctor thought it was proper 'bad news' or not).

When I fell on my knee last Feb, I rang 111 (because it was pretty bad pain still 6 hours later) and I was in an ambulance on the way to h within 2 hours of that.

111 might be a good first option for you, EC. But as Dessie says, do something. Nowt to lose.

My dad always used to say that if any pain in your body passes within a day or two, then don’t worry about it. If that pain is more consistent and around the same area, then I would be at the GPs soon enough.

I had various pains for several days 4 years ago, right at the start of Covid. Stomach cramps were so bad that my friend made me go to A&E.
To cut a long story short, after a couple of weeks of treating me for chest infection they dis covered Leukaemia. I was transferred to University College London and spent 3 months in there.
Chemo was started while in hospital and has continued since, every 6 to 8 weeks and I'm still kicking, not as hard mind you!

Get your arse in gear and see the doctor!

I had various pains for several days 4 years ago, right at the start of Covid. Stomach cramps were so bad that my friend made me go to A&E.
To cut a long story short, after a couple of weeks of treating me for chest infection they dis covered Leukaemia. I was transferred to University College London and spent 3 months in there.
Chemo was started while in hospital and has continued since, every 6 to 8 weeks and I'm still kicking, not as hard mind you!

Get your arse in gear and see the doctor!
All my best wishes, W.

Keep on in there, mate.

Back