O/T: Biggin Hill Air Fair

suerunner

At the Start
Evening all. I know these are not horse related, but took them yesterday and would appreciate any comments/suggestions/hints etc, good or bad!
Thanks

The Swordfish is framed by the 2 Stearman wingtips of Teamn Guinot.
IMG_2486.jpg

How many planes are there? The 2 Sukhoi Su-26s of the superb Red Bull Matadors.

IMG_2586.jpg

Hawker Hurricane.

IMG_2724.jpg

Two shots of the Typhoon (Eurofighter).
IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

A lone Hawk of the Red Arrows.

IMG_2848.jpg

The Red Arrows.

IMG_2696.jpg

Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747.

IMG_2703.jpg

More to follow....

More following...!!

A few shots of probably the most unusual formation seen this year. To celebrate the company's 25th anniversary, a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 did a flyby with the Red Arrows. Wow!!

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The Red Arrows.

IMG_2859.jpg

Spot The Spitfire!! I know the rubbish bin is annoying, but Ray Hanna's MH434 hugs the ground for the finale.

IMG_2953.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

Lovely shots Sue, although I must make a couple of points of order.

In the first shot - that ain't no Swordfish, which was, of course, a biplane. It looks more like a Chance-Vought F4U Corsair to me.

and the one labelled Hawker Hurricane isn't. The Hurricane looks pretty much like the Spitfire with less curvy bits. I have no idea what it actually is.

:o

After further investigation, I have come to the conclusion that the "hurricane" is actually a Hawker Hunter. My nerdy side is thoroughly exposed....:o:o

Whoops, pressed enter too soon.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Red Arrows should definatley be at the Olympics. Any other country would showcase their Air Force display team, not us!
Simmo - thanks for that!! I know thats a Hunter, why on earth I thought it was a Hurricane - I blame the heat!:o
Got the Swordfish all wrong - you're right it's a Corsair. And on that occasion, I blame being blonde! :D
Thanks anyway though!!

Aldaniti and Andy, have a great time. Only disappointment with Biggin was the Vulcan not flying on the Sunday. Hope it flies at Duxford for you.

I enjoyed seeing the Spitfire flying over Amersham presumably on its way to the show. It delighted two wartime pilots in their 80`s who were with us enjoying the remnants of a family wedding. One from Canada and one from NZ neither of whom expected to see a Spitfire again.

Thanks, Sue - the Eurofighter has to be the most impressive piece of kit ever! The rear view showing its afterburners glowing makes it look like a devil-eyed mosquito, but what a craft! Deafened by it at Shoreham Air Show, which is later this year, and a must-go for me. I've never met a plane I didn't like... !

Had a super time talking with the Dutch team last year, who'd brought over - hmm, what was it now? Maybe a Vulcan? The old bombers were so spartan inside! The parachutists must've been half-frozen before they were dropped, poor souls, and were then expected to hit the ground running with full kit. My dad was a para, captured at Operation Market Garden - otherwise known as the Arnhem Drop - a three-day fiasco which saw many British lives lost. He survived, although almost skeletal by the time he returned to the UK, and I feel some affinity to what he and other airborne troops went through when I see these shows.

(I say 'my dad', although technically he was my uncle - he was the brother of my mother's husband and my real dad, John, killed in the war (not quite so lucky) on Coastal Forces duty, in MTBs. "Dadda Peter" married her some time after returning from captivity.)

Last edited:
Smashing pics, Sue. Love the composition of the one framed by the wing-tips of two others - and I love your shot of the Red Arrows. It would make a fantastic poster.

I was rudely awoken by the Red Arrows yesterday morning. Looking out of my window to see them fly past in a delta formation was almost worth losing my lie in !!

Back