Off to Australia

chroniclandlord

Senior Jockey
Mourayan and Alandi have been sold by the Aga Khan to race in Australia. ( Racing Post )

I wouldn't have thought that racing in Australia would suit a soft ground horse like Alandi.

Shame, I was looking forward to Alandi for next season, might have been a pretty outstanding older stayer. Oh well, money ...... talks ..... a lot.

I had kept a close eye on these two since the start of the season and thought that Ox might land the Leger double.There was also a third string who was potentially useful -Alaivan(not sure about spelling)he won the Gowaran Park Classic Trial and a half decent race at Roscommon.I would say his bare form is better then Alandi at the same stage of their careers and I hope to see him contesting something like the Irish Leger next year.

Yep, remember mentioning him in the Derby thread before Gal pointed out he was a gelding and was ineligible for the Classics!

Alandi purchase seems especially strange; had never considered him to have the profile of a potential Melbourne Cup horse whatsoever.

Strange that Alandi was sold, and it's not the first time the Aga Khan has sold some very good horses - Daylami and Shawanda for example.

He's nothing if not pragmatic with his racing and breeding operations. At least with Daylami it was only a lease, but I was amazed when he sold as good a filly as Shawanda - must have been seriously silly money that was offered.

Australian magazine The Thoroughbred reports that "Lloyd Williams [leading Melbourne-based owner] buys Alandi off Aga Khan, plus Mourayan, and six prospects from Coolmore. [Lee] Freedman buys four including Doctor Fremantle."

No details on the 6 from Coolmore, possibly some of their lots that were withdrawn from the HiT Sale -?

I reckon it might pay off to buy the European gallopers. Bring them out 8 to 12 months in advance, acclimatise them and have them ready in time for the spring of 2010.

Usually what the trainers (David Hayes is famous at doing this) out here do is keep them in work after they come out of quarantine. This will keep them ticking over, put a first up run over a mile or 9 furlongs, to get them seasoned and used to our style and then tip them out for a good 8 weeks to let them to blossom over the winter. David Hayes is EXTREMELY famous for doing this, and in the past it has worked a treat for him.

Australian magazine The Thoroughbred reports that "Lloyd Williams [leading Melbourne-based owner] buys Alandi off Aga Khan, plus Mourayan, and six prospects from Coolmore. [Lee] Freedman buys four including Doctor Fremantle."

No details on the 6 from Coolmore, possibly some of their lots that were withdrawn from the HiT Sale -?

Does anyone know what the six from Coolmore were?

There was a whole heap of them removed a couple of weeks back - it was like a HIT sale in Ballydoyle where plenty of trainers from home and abroad went and had a look at what they wanted. Could have been any number.

Back