Old Newton Cup

BackHander

At the Start
Been waiting on Red Cadeaux to reappear for a while. His only entry for a couple of months was the plate last weekend but seems like he's going for this now as opposed to the listed race on Sandown's card. Get the impression he's quite highly regarded. Anyone got any thoughts... Thinking 14/1 is not a bad price.

Fancy Submariner myself. Did well from Trap1 at Ascot when low was a disadvantage. In form and a decent price at 8/1.

Plenty of these have a great shout so I don’t expect to find the winner but it’s a hugely competitive race which should throw up a hatful of future winners. I’m only interested in those likely to hit or surpass what I'd call the norm for the race but that includes the majority of the field so I’m concentrating on those I’ve identified as having most improvement: Submariner and Dangerous Midge.

I'm still at a loss to explain how Thin Red Line wasn't awarded at least a share of victory on the card last year when he 'beat' Quai D'Orsay. He's completely unexposed at 12f and could easily find a few more lbs of improvement against a pretty exposed field. Hanoverian Baron very likeable and going the right way, but 5/1? No thanks.

I think Hanoverian Baron should be about 5/2, if he was trained by Stoute or Cumani, he would be.

He's progressive, will go on the ground and hasn't been put up much for his York win. The times of his last two runs have been very impressive on the clock as well.

I don't usually back favourites in these big handicaps but I'm making an exception today.

Totally. Handicappers who fit this sort of profile - won over the trip, clear daylight in their previous race to the second, not gone up a huge amount aren't seen as value bets when they come out at 4s or 5s - and yet these handicaps aren't as competitive as they look and I would far far rather punt these sort of animals than be taking 3s and 4s in competitive Group races.

Managed to get 5s at 365 last night.

Last edited:
Hiilview Boy looks to have been laid out for this but I fear the ground might be worth a few quid ew anyway .

I really like Polly's Mark in the Lancashire Oaks - could be a good day for Hughes

In the 4.50 at Sandown I can't have the top 2 in the betting. Eton Forever did not look up to it LTO whilst Kakatosi,even with Fallon, has not shown enough. Imperial Delight has a course win, is in form and at around 9's on Betfair appears a nice Ew shot.

Earlier I like Charlie Cool -17's on Beffair earlier-in form and looking like the horse he was a couple of years ago. Although up in the weights he's still way below his top mark.

I've noticed since 2,000 that progressive 4yo's have won 7 out of 9 of the runnings of this race - there was one abandonment - this may of course be down to the fact more 4yo's took part -- also Luca Cumani has won 3 of the last 6 but they were also with 4yo's but it does make his Fiery Lad interesting at 20/1 - personally I wont be having a bet but I think Reve De Nuit and the Fonz have the best profiles and Fiery Lad looks interesting e/way. It will be very interesting to see how it all pans out. Good luck.

...so I’m concentrating on those I’ve identified as having most improvement: Submariner and Dangerous Midge.

Get in there!

And for those of you who are always accusing me of aftertiming:

finger.gif
finger.gif
finger.gif

Back