One For Colin et al

rorydelargy

At the Start
Colin loves his trainer stats, so I thought I'd dig one out to confuse him and others who like a puzzle. Can anyone name me the trainer who since 1997 has the following stats (accurate up until August 2011):

Horses starting at bigger than 14/1
No wins and just 9 places from a total of 398 runners, and a level stakes loss of 398 points.

Horses starting at 10/1 or shorter
6 Wins and a further 7 places from a total of just 26 runners, and a level stakes profit of 29 points.

The trainer has 2 entries this week. I suspect one will start circa 100/1, and the other about 8/1. Guess which one I'll be backing?

No-one so high profile. We're talking 6 winners in a career spanning nearly 25 years, making the fact that all his winners have been at shortish odds all the more surprising. He recently celebrated his 80th Birthday.

I'd have said Donal Nolan but he hasn't had a runner for ages and Peter Grayson has had too many winners.

Is it William Young?

Last edited:
It's Gerry Kelly.

Gerry had something of a whirlwind career as a jockey, riding 33 winners over jumps and 1 on the Flat in a career which spanned slightly less than 40 years. He's managed to make the game pay as a trainer despite taking 11 years to train his first winner, and he similarly managed to train a solitary winner in his first 14 years with a jumps licence. You'd expect his rare winners to pop up at huge prices, and yet when he's had one, it's been telegraphed by the market.

Gerry had something of a whirlwind career as a jockey, riding 33 winners over jumps and 1 on the Flat in a career which spanned slightly less than 40 years.

:lol:

He's managed to make the game pay as a trainer despite taking 11 years to train his first winner

I'm always amused to see him raise his head above the parapet for a runner or two every few months (most recently, it seems, training horses for Ian Ratcliffe** despite the latter still holding a permit himself), and then promptly disappear again. Sporadically active nowadays, for sure.

Per making the game pay, one wonders whether the several grand he earned putting sub-30 rated animals in Flat conditions races for the appearance money a decade or so ago was all put into some sort of ultra high-interest account :p . It's not as if he's had a Look Busy or Borderlescott to earn proper money for the yard since then unlike the other two former worst offenders at hoovering up appearance money with trees, namely Alan Berry and Robin Bastiman. Four Men, Waterfront, Time For The Clan and Laund View Leona, anyone?

gc

** formerly trained in Saddleworth, thus making him the nearest racehorse trainer to me before I left home. Never visited him, though.

Back