Online auctions of nominations: Nayef

Kri, i'm failing to see your point about the limited book. The point is surely that the book is limited and very carefully picked apart from a few nominations which are then sold to the highest bidder at an auction. The book is not being expanded and Shadwell are well within their rights to cherry pick and then allow a few to go to whoever is willing to pay the most (Or sell the nominations to an agent to do it for them). It's got Nayef some good publicity as a result. I find it hard to believe that people would be paying over the odds to cover bad mares.

Well, there's nowt so queer as folk, Ara! Sure, Shadwell can do what they like with their stallions - limit them to Group mares only, or open the door to 200 a season, whatever. I don't like the idea of auctioning off noms, though, especially now I realise they're the result of agents pocketing them to trade for profit. I think I've tried to make it clear why: because the agents won't put any restriction on what sort of mare takes them up, whereas Shadwell may well do. That's why I would not like to see this sort of deal becoming popular. As I've said (about 500 times now!), breeders have been clobbered by accusations of letting any po' trash go to the sheds, accused of causing too much racing by breeding too many foals, etc., etc. and the thought that the thin end of a wide wedge might be good mares NOT getting onto the nominations list, while agents wait in the wings to siphon off a few for their bank balance's enhancement only, is far from palatable. It's collusion between stallion owners and agents, knocking out some petitioners while tipping the wink to others that they're in with a good chance, provided they up the ante. Nope, don't like that at all.

But we're going through a rather dull spot racing-wise at present, so I thought I'd be a bit contentious to stir us up! :lol:

Back