Online banking: any good?

krizon

At the Start
I'm way off having enough money to put into anything more than a piggybank right now, but, once I've flogged off the flat, I am wondering about online banking. I understand that you do actually get an interest rate that's not a total insult, but I wonder how easy it is to use, and to understand? If anyone is using it (I know Hamm is, per his post on Things I Hate), how pleased are they with the concept?

I'm a bit of a Luddite, preferring to have bricks and mortar to walk into and see a human being, but that's probably only once a year. Earning a better rate of interest, I'd be happy to ditch the interface.

Be interested in comments as it is something I'm seriously considering if it sounds okay.

How's your memory for passwords and security codes? I bank with Santander and you need your sixteen digit card number, a five digit security code and
a password to access it. If you can remember that little lot you'll be fine. I think it's the only way to go, if only because it negates having to ring the friggers up.

Couldn't agree more - now if folk can't give me their account details, they can do the other. Living out here in the sticks, nearest post box is miles away (they removed the gorgeous old fashioned one that was inset into Lutley Bridge, a centuries old bridge across the Tone at the end of our lane), so it's a real chore to have to remember to post a cheque in an envelope, with a stamp - sheesh, too much effort for me, thanks. That applies to both our business banking and peronal banking.

We had our totally miserable git of a gas plumber bloke do the central heating at work. He takes ages to respond to our annual request to service the boiler, then when he does pitch up, wants payment then and there, which is tough as I no longer work at HQ. So he's asked to supply his bank details for a BACS payment and goes off on one! He's not giving his bank details to just anyone, yada, yada, yada - we've dealt with him for ten years, ffs! So he can fecking wait and he's off our supplier list as of now!

Online banking's totally fab!

Most excellent replies, folks, thanks a mill. I'm okay on security codes, Euro - hell's teeth, I can still rip off my employment number from Saudi days - 61270 - sort code, a/c numbers, etc., etc.

I thought about doing this a long while back and then thought nah, it'll be too complex for a thickhead like me. But, as Bar says, if I can use this forum - it is Gardeners' World, isn't it? - then I should be okay.

Funny - I found a NatWest card lying in the street today and marched 3f to hand it in, as it was well in date. (Made good sectionals, too... ) Made me realise how bloody uncomfortable that has to be for the poor sod who gets home and finds he's cardless for a while. Thanks, everyone. Once I have more than £3.78p to my name, I'll go that route.

How's your memory for passwords and security codes? I bank with Santander and you need your sixteen digit card number, a five digit security code and
a password to access it. If you can remember that little lot you'll be fine. I think it's the only way to go, if only because it negates having to ring the friggers up.

Yes - and if you put some money into (gasp) a "gambling site" Santander ring you up to make sure that you are you and haven't completely lost your marbles for doing something so very (whisper it in horrified tones) risky with your money.

Oh, right - considering what the freakin' banks have done with the entire world's money... ! That'll be one outfit to swerve, then.

Most excellent replies, folks, thanks a mill. I'm okay on security codes, Euro - hell's teeth, I can still rip off my employment number from Saudi days - 61270 - sort code, a/c numbers, etc., etc.

I thought about doing this a long while back and then thought nah, it'll be too complex for a thickhead like me. But, as Bar says, if I can use this forum - it is Gardeners' World, isn't it? - then I should be okay.

Funny - I found a NatWest card lying in the street today and marched 3f to hand it in, as it was well in date. (Made good sectionals, too... ) Made me realise how bloody uncomfortable that has to be for the poor sod who gets home and finds he's cardless for a while. Thanks, everyone. Once I have more than £3.78p to my name, I'll go that route.

i hope you measured that 3f properly :)..no rails changes etc

My family are all with First Direct. We find them quick, easy and helpful. Not exactly getting rich off their intrest for savers, but about average with all the other banks. They give a good overdraft, and have 'one' accounts where if you have a mortgage or a loan with them they do the interest based upon what income you have in other accounts too, so can work out cheaper for you.

I'm self employed now and my income is ...... interesting, and they still treat me nicely!

EC - it's bonkers, but I do seem to think in furlong markers when people ask how far somewhere is! Yes, I made very good time, considering the amount of times I was baulked by stop 'n' stare twits, who stop dead in the middle of crowded pavements, instead of PU by the kerb! Hugged inside rail (shop fronts) all the way bar a few swerves for the numpties!

Isi - Jeez, talk about interest! Got a ridiculous tariff from Barclays yesterday showing their interest rates for current accounts. When you have £250,000 in one, they'll give you one entire whole percent! What a joke!

Back