Oops...

Guest_

At the Start
Never doubt what an Irish steward can see or do!

By Jonathan Mullin 6:20PM 22 MAY 2010
APPRENTICE Ronan Whelan found himself in uncharted territory at the Curragh on Saturday after he was banned for excessive use of the whip in the 1m Emirates Equestrian Federation Handicap despite dropping it leaving the stalls.
Whelan was riding Monivea for trainer Brian Nolan and his boss, Jim Bolger, took up his cause.
17030.jpg
Ronan Whelan: lost whip at start
PICTURE: Caroline Norris
"History was made here today," said Bolger, "my apprentice got three days for excessive use of the whip. The problem is, he dropped his whip at the stalls."
It was a most bizarre subplot on Abu Dhabi Irish 2,000 Guineas day but by the end of racing, the stewards had reviewed their decision and following a second inquiry, apologised to Whelan and dropped their original three-day ban.
"R P Whelan informed the further inquiry that he had lost his whipat an early stage of this race, a fact that he had not revealed . . . prior to the first inquiry or to the acting stewards during the course of the first enquiry," said the Turf Club stewards report.
"Having considered the new evidence given the stewards were of the opinion that their original decision was in error and apologised. They accordingly set aside their earlier finding and penalty."
Bolger added: "They have apologised and lifted the ban so I suppose all's well that ends well. It's the end of the matter, as far as I'm concerned."

WTF? Was he pretending to use a whip (have to be seen to be trying!) or were the stewards looking at the wrong horse?

"R P Whelan informed the further inquiry that he had lost his whipat an early stage of this race, a fact that he had not revealed . . . prior to the first inquiry or to the acting stewards during the course of the first enquiry," said the Turf Club stewards report.

As clumsy as it was on the part of the stewards, why did he not mention this during the enquiry?

It sounds crazy, but, having watched the race again, I have plenty of sympathy with the stewards (for once).

The jockey, presumably embarrassed by the fact that he had dropped his whip leaving the stalls, proceeds to do a very passable simulation of someone really getting stuck into his mount, going as far as "switching" his whip a number of times and raising his "whip" arm very high.

I imagine that is why he did not want to own up to the fact that it was all a fake, even when the stewards understandably called him in.

The ride did not look good, though it can be viewed rather differently when the full circumstances are known!

I had a look at the replay and it looks like he is whipping the horse as normal and think they were bringing him in for frequency as he made 12 "strokes" until he went out of picture so could have given him a few more. But seriously, looked like he was whipping the horse.

There's a pair of them in it. The stewards surely looked at the head on and a couple of other camera angles so they could hardly have been fooled....could they? Looked convincing to my eye. But then Whelan should have made his point re not having a whip. That would have cleared it up straight away. The fact he didn't say it might have meant the stewards did not look too close at it. You can imagine it like this.......stewards spot excessive use wathcing the race first time.....stipe looks at one video and counts the strokes......14 strokes......bring Whelan in, ask him if he agrees with fourteen strokes (video playing in background but no-one seriously looking at it).....Whelan confirms the 14 strokes.....suspension given. Clearly the stewards accepted their error swiftly or Bolger would have kicked up a real fuss. Strange.

JAP, you beat me to it. But Whelan is a very decent young rider and another from the Bolger academy.

Perhaps the lad thought he was better off taking a suspension from the stewards than letting Bolger find out he had dropped his whip.

Back