Open Meeting - Your Best Bets

Razor Royale would have a chance in the first today if conditions prive to be very testing - has some decent course form and could go well. I know that Never So Blue is fancied and I'd also fear the Pipe favourite, but at 16/1+ a small bet on RR will be forthcoming.

Fantastic shout Steve.

Everthing travelled on the ground as if it was lovely good to softish ground, and then all but 1 stopped. Is it some sort of dead sticky ground that will produce a few odd results (not that this one was odd, well done Steve)?

Well done Steve T.
Nice market move for Loosen My Load.

Thanks Luke & All, was really impressed the way RR won and LML winning is building up a decent multiple payout, including the winner of the first at Lingfield, going onto Poyle Meg later on!

I think Song of Songs could go really well in the next. Would have had a decent each way bet when 8 were still in, but he's still value for the win at 13/2.

DeBromhead's horses must have been sick over the last couple of seasons - so many of his horses now running well and not stopping like they were last year.

What chance Sizing Australia in the next?

Looks like the Grand Annual was rated through him, and that beating a 115-rated horse 10 lengths and a 107-rated horses 11 lengths in the Beginner's Chase didn't justify him being raised.

I'm a bloody fool - I looked what i thought was a gift horse in the mouth and tried to be too clever!

DeBromhead's horses must have been sick over the last couple of seasons - so many of his horses now running well and not stopping like they were last year.

What chance Sizing Australia in the next?

It sort of builds the confidence for Sizing Europe's Arkle chances.

I had a bet on one of the three winners...I only completely disregard what's said on the Golf thread Gearoid......:p

Just in from doing yards and amazed to see a 4.05 was run at Cheltenham - pretty dark here at that time and the high winds and monsoon rains are hitting us hard - hope it wasn't the same there !

Just got back to my desk to see Knockara Beau was beaten a neck - Anyone see it, was he unlucky? Moral victor I suppose as he was giving weight away.. Called Ashkazar right just not the winner!

Knockara Beau ran a fine race. I am surprised his jockey gets so few rides . He made a mistake down the back which appeared to knock his confidence a bit but crept closer coming down the hill and was delivered at the last .

Unfortunately, for him so was Weird Al who just edged it up the hill.

KB might well have been the moral winner at the weights but the winner made as bad a mistake and had been off for a year and it was only his third run . He has bags of potential.

Aigle d Or travelled like the winner to two out and then went out like a light .

Just in from doing yards and amazed to see a 4.05 was run at Cheltenham - pretty dark here at that time and the high winds and monsoon rains are hitting us hard - hope it wasn't the same there !

Certainly was, Songsheet!!

A warning to anyone attending tomorrow. Plod have a new plan for directing the traffic. :blink:

It now takes THREE times as long to get away as it did last year. Absolute FFFFFFiasco! The new plan lets people out of the car parks more quickly - but they have nowhere to go and just sit for ages on the main road. It took my lift 45 minutes to drive from the traffic lights by Smiths to one of the side entrances (usually takes 2m).

Strongly advise visitors to use the buses - they were the only transport moving at more than 1/2 mph.

The ground reported after the first race was good to soft - but it will have changed quite a bit after the very heavy rain that we have been getting since about 3.30pm. The wind began to get up quite strongly about 90 minutes ago. Hopefully it will have blown out by morning.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Harry Tricker in the Greatwood. I think if he turns up in the same form as last week it will take a special performance to beat him. Does anyone know if Hernandos are ground dependent or can take two races in quick succession?

Good call Steve! Was really pleased for Razor & Sam. But not so happy about Some Present as had them in a double. Boo!

Couldn't see properly what happened, but he appeared to lose a couple of places after the flight before the home turn.

Last edited:
It FLUNG it down for the last.

Im so glad you said that about the traffic Redhead - I was gobsmacked. Having completely fallen in love with the South car park (arrived at 10.20am,havign had the best run through - took me 3hrs from home. front row of the cars there,on hard standing,fantastic view of the course (sod buying a ticket any more, im just going to land there and watch from the fence!) saw the sales horses being looked at, and wandered in alongside Double Trigger and the other stallions ( HOW handsome is Toubougg??!!!!) I got back in my car at 4.30, got out of the car park at about ten to five,which i thought was quite good - but arrived home at 9.15. I drank more coffee than is good for ANY human being,im sure - but to come out, get sent left,and take 2 hours to get out of Cheltenham was just silly !!!! My friend had a similar problem fromn the other car park - she took 4 hours to get back to exeter - and its such a shame,cos we had a really lovely day - laughed a lot, cheered on our £2.50 each way on the 400-1shot who ran a blinder, got a few winners between us, drooled over Heads onthe Ground, cheered Nina and Gard Champetre on, fell totally in love with the War Horse horse (who apparently is called Joey!) and just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
I dotn know what (if anything) can be done about the traffic thing - I half wish Id gone to watch the sales,but Im not sure it would have made a whole lot of difference to my travelling time.

Last edited:
Congratulations Steve - great tipping :)

Still gutted that couldn't even land the place part of the Qhilimar bet despite travelling upsides Razor coming to two out.

Back