Order Of The Phoenix

I will see it in a couple of weeks when the hype has died down, too many people in a cinema annoys me, they all talk and have phones turned on, i like nice and quiet cinemas so i usually go on a tuesday at 2 in the afternoon

I've just seen it tonight and was a little disappointed. It was my favourite book of the series but the film just doesn't match up. There are huge chunks of the book missing, which I suppose is understandable due to the size of it and some parts have been adapted to fit the film but I don't think the film has done the book justice at all.

Interesting, Triptych. It is my least favourite book so I hope the film brings it to life somewhat.

Triptych, you have highlighted what I believe is a fundamental flaw with all of the fims so far. The books are so well known that people expect a word by word film version. The reality is that the books do not make good films and the producers should have taken the same approach as Peter Jackson with the Lord of The Rings films He edited quite a bit out of the books yet still made incredibly good films that were almost universally popular with fans of the books.

They've also missed out all the scenes at St. Mungo's hospital which I thought were a pretty important part of the book. The part where Harry, Hermione and Ron meet Neville visiting his parents was probably one of the most touching and well-written scenes in the book and I was sorry to see that wasn't in.

Cricketfan - I can't find my copy of The Order of the Phoenix anywhere - do you have it?? If so, it's mine! I didn't mean to leave it behind!!!! shrug::

I had read the previous few back-to-back and, to be honest, I was Pottered out. Seeing as I had enjoyed the previous ones, I am surprised I never went back to this one.

The book was very forgettable, there was no story other than Voldemort and the others have all been fun to read as they told another story too.
Michael Gambon is not very good as Dumbledore, Hagrids part is too small and the final fight, which was overlong and confusing in the book, was unexciting on film

Euro - you might be interested to know that J.J.Abrams (Lost, Alias etc) is currently working on an adaptation of the Dark Tower series,

Viggo Mortenson would be a good Roland, it would almost be a rerun of Aragorn. However Chris Cooper could do a decent job too

I am in the minority in thinking TGOF is a brilliant read....I loved it. Ok in terms of plot lines etc maybe too much doesnt happen....but I love the character development. Harry is so much darker and bitter in this book...I love it.

As for the film....none of them have been a patch on the books but I enjoyed this one. Thought the final few scenes were excellent.

Stop trying to confuse the blonde bird, Gal!! Assume you mean TOoTP rather than TGoF?! :D

I agree - I liked the book a lot. As you say, there is a lot more character development in it and it also gets pretty dark. Still, some people need continual battle scenes to keep their brain and/or imagination going!

Looking forward to seeing the film.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jul 27 2007, 07:08 PM
I agree - I liked the book a lot. As you say, there is a lot more character development in it and it also gets pretty dark. Still, some people need continual battle scenes to keep their brain and/or imagination going!
Character development? The only characters that get any development in the book are Neville and Ginny, the others all just do what they have been doing, in a much duller way.

Harry is still angry at the world, Ron does nothing as usual, Hermione reads some books (wow, shocking development there) Snape is creepy and doesnt like Harry (surprise surprise) and Dumbledore does very little

Harry was no where near as angry or isolated in the earlier books....he never got so angry with Ron and Hermione...so much so he starts keeping away from them at times.

Learn why Snape is (as you put it) creepy and that it is not simply a case of not liking Harry. Really enjoyed it.

And yes apologies about the confusion SL!!

I agree Gal - and with Harry it's not just the angriness. It's the isolation (as you say) and the growing up of his character amongst the dawning recognition that he and his nemesis' fortunes and/or destinies are inextricably linked, not to mention the shame of thinking he may in some way be responsible for the misfortunes that have befallen those close to him.

The book is altogether more dark and the characters deepen and grow with time whilst their personalities and pasts are explored more fully which in turn explains a lot of things from previous books.

As I said before, it doesn't have to be Gunfight at the OK Corral to make something interesting!

Have to admit I did read the last book far too fast but had to because I was convinced I would hear the ending somewhere else! Started to re read the lot of them again and its amazing to notice the little things in the first book that tie in with the last. She really is a genius with this series of books.

Absolutely - I'm re-reading from 5 onwards to refresh the ol' memory (and have already read 1-4 at least twice!) and I am finding the same. If you take your time to read the books little things become more apparent.

Back